GPS Watch Recommendations

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

stockae92

by stockae92

I also use Fenix 3, and has both HR strap and another Garmin unit for optical HR (vivoActive HR).

The issue with Fenix 3 HR or 5 with built in optical sensor for me is that if you want to put the unit on a handle bar mount, then you lose the ability for tracking HR without another device.

Anyway, the Fenix 3 still works great for my need. and not tempted to upgrade to 5 or 5X yet.
853guy wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:36 pm
jlok wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:24 pm
Have been using Fenix 3 and HR strap. Pretty good.
Hey jlok,

Thanks, I checked it out, but it needs a HR strap - prefer one without.

Cheers for the recommendation though.

853guy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dastott

by dastott

Another vote for the Garmin FR35. The HR reads slightly high but that could be because I am wearing it over arm warmers at present. Not too expensive and really simple to use.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i like the garmin fenix 3
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

AJS914

by AJS914

Rich_W wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:06 pm
If you're an iPhone user... Apple Watch. Tremendous utility.

I've been an Apple Watch fan for some time... but it also collects HR data without a strap. Comparing to my Wahoo Bolt... its always reading the same number.

Runs strava, etc. I am a fan of the "Close your Rings" lifestyle. Anyway, my $.02

I just got an Apple watch (v1). It's been fun. I find the 'close the rings' thing kind of hokey and not super relevant to an athlete.

Still, I've been thinking of taking my Apple Watch use to the next level - maybe figuring out a way to track food intact, workouts and have it come all together in one place so I can see calories in/out and percentages of macronutrients.

TonyM

by TonyM

I was a long time user of the Polar RC3 GPS and I loved it. I almost bought the Polar V800 but I finally bought a Apple Watch 1. gen as I wanted to try it.

I really like it! It is just so convenient not to have to look at the iPhone etc....so often and get the notifications for email, text etc....

I however am not very interested in all the health/ sport features of it. I guess a Garmin watch is here better but they have different targets in terms of users.

I however never take my Apple watch with me during biking. My Garmin Edge 820 is connected via BT to my Iphone and that enough for me.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:28 am
I find the 'close the rings' thing kind of hokey and not super relevant to an athlete.
The workout app is also easy to use on the go. Just hit the Siri button. All feed into the health app. Outdoor cycle, indoor, run, walk, gym et all. Wahoo bolt data also integrates seamlessly. Also like the sharing functionality.

While its not designed to be a full-on training tool, its the sum of all the functionality for me.

There are nutrition apps that feed into the the health app. I would love to see a Nutrition app that works with Siri. So you can just tell it what you're eating verbally and it logs it. I remember logging everything manually on Training Peaks... what a pain in the ass.

joejack951

by joejack951

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:28 am
I just got an Apple watch (v1). It's been fun. I find the 'close the rings' thing kind of hokey and not super relevant to an athlete.

Still, I've been thinking of taking my Apple Watch use to the next level - maybe figuring out a way to track food intact, workouts and have it come all together in one place so I can see calories in/out and percentages of macronutrients.
I'm not sure if this satisfies the level of integration you are looking for, but if you combine Garmin Connect (and any of their watches) and My Fitness Pal apps you can pretty much achieve what you describe. The Garmin will handle all the calorie out and workout info, MFP will handle calories in (with your food input) and it will all get combined in both Connect or MFP. I only briefly tried MFP out of curiosity but found it easy to use, just more of a hassle than I'm willing to endure for info that doesn't make or break my diet. I care about 'calories in' but not that much :D

I think you can achieve basically the same thing with your Apple Watch, Strava, and MFP.

joejack951

by joejack951

TonyM wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:14 am
I was a long time user of the Polar RC3 GPS and I loved it. I almost bought the Polar V800 but I finally bought a Apple Watch 1. gen as I wanted to try it.

I really like it! It is just so convenient not to have to look at the iPhone etc....so often and get the notifications for email, text etc....

I however am not very interested in all the health/ sport features of it. I guess a Garmin watch is here better but they have different targets in terms of users.

I however never take my Apple watch with me during biking. My Garmin Edge 820 is connected via BT to my Iphone and that enough for me.
FWIW, even the cheap Garmin FR35 connects to a phone via Bluetooth and displays all app notifications and allows one to read texts and emails, too.

TonyM

by TonyM

joejack951 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:29 pm
TonyM wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:14 am

FWIW, even the cheap Garmin FR35 connects to a phone via Bluetooth and displays all app notifications and allows one to read texts and emails, too.
This is what I meant! :wink:

I do however have a Apple Watch but I don't want to use a watch during my rides as I have the Garmin Edge for that.... :mrgreen: no need to carry a watch also......except if I have a sponsor like the BMC team.... :beerchug:

stuh

by stuh

maquisard wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:35 pm
Wahoo are launching a GPS watch called the ELEMNT Rival in the next few months.
Looks like FCC confidentiallity expires on 5/22/18, so perhaps we'll know more then. After my experience with the Wahoo bolt, I really, really, want a Wahoo watch.

maquisard

by maquisard

Wahoo apparently canned the ELEMNT Rival, probably because it wouldn't be competitive compared to recent Garmin and Suunot launches

tomee

by tomee

maquisard wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:04 pm
Wahoo apparently canned the ELEMNT Rival, probably because it wouldn't be competitive compared to recent Garmin and Suunot launches
I was soo looking forward to the Wahoo release :cry: