Anyone used Xert?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shrike

by Shrike

Sounds better than TrainerRoad as it claims to be adaptive, ie. changes your workouts based now what you've achieved workout wise. Also tailors you more towards the type of rider you want to be. All sounds lovely. Even has an iOs app now. What gets me is that if it's so ace, why don't I know anyone using it :)

jlok

by jlok

I am using it to track my fitness. I think Xert stands out with below features:

1. Real-time Maximal Power Available (MPA) and Time to Exhaust CIQ data fields on Garmin 520/820/1000/1030
Good for time trial, climbing, etc.

2. Adaptive Training Advisor (new feature just released) and the Xert Player (CIQ) / Xert Mobile (iOS / Android)
Just set a target event date and type, configure improvement rate per week (in terms of fitness level increase), then fire up the Xert Player/Mobile whenever you wanna train. Appropriate interval program will be selected for you and just ride.

I'm still new to it but I think it's promising.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I feel the same. I've been using it since August and now it's really starting to shine for me.
I use quite a lot if MPA to gauge my efforts and of course it feels good to get breakthrough.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

glepore

by glepore

I played around with it when it was beta and was very impressed. Not everyone over at the wattage list loves their metrics, but they seem to work really well, and as a plus no need to "test" if you don't want to. The new workout generator seems cool, but haven't played with it yet.
Trainer Road is good enough, but requires a fair amount of "feel" to use well. This seems to be more plug and play.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

ms6073

by ms6073

I installed the Xert Whats My FTP? data field on my Garmin Edge 520 shortly after DCRainmaker blogged about it. Worked pretty well for about a month then for reasons I do not understand, it stopped working. Maybe I did not correctly uninstall, but despite repeated uninstall/reinstall attempts, could not get it working again, so I removed it from the Edge, and based on current reviews, does not look like Xert has not addressed the issue.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TonyM

by TonyM

I also install the Xert What is My FTP? on my Garmin Edge 820 and it seemed to works well actually.
I may have a look at the Xert platform now also...

AJS914

by AJS914

I looked at Xert last year. At that time they were more of a complement to whatever other software you were using (trainer road, etc).

Are they providing training plans now? And controlling workouts on smart trainers?

glepore

by glepore

Yes, they have a new app that allows you to load your target performance date and it will give you a workout of the day based on your past performance metrics and current progression. It will control a smart trainer. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Used Xert for a while but stopped when I bought WKO4 standalone software, because at that moment could not see much additional value in metrics compared to what TP/WKO does. In my experience, Xert also tended to overestimate my FTP by 5-10 watts (whereas WKO4 usually underestimates it).

However, with the Adaptive Training Advisor (as they call it) now introduced, I'll give them another shot to see if they manage to perform better than my own self-coached training "plans" :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

jlok

by jlok

Trial is free and easily sync with Strava. not a bad thing to just try and see.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

ichobi

by ichobi

It will take some readings to understand their methodology and metrics properly. I would say not quite beginner friendly yet. If you are well versed with power training it will make much easier to get on board. Once you got through the learning curve, it’s really good. Will definitely change how you train in a better way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

as for reading I find that the science section at Golden Cheetah provide a good starting point. Then read through the blog posts and glossary at bariobiosys (Xert)... plus some basic stuffs like Training and Racing with a Power Meter.... maybe also Cycling Science...

Shrike

by Shrike

Sounds positive overall, but going to hold off until I finish my current TR plan then give the trial a shot. Pretty good value at 9 dollars a month for that sort of tech if it does work.

TrainerRoad has kinda stagnated. They should really have had this sort of adaptive analysis, and workouts done on the road implemented by now. I have a tendency to do other stuff like small fastest rides when I can fit them or subbing a workout for a similar type of hard effort on the road that TR doesn't really account for so think something smarter would work better for me. Though TR is still king in my view at the moment.

benzebub

by benzebub

Hi Guys,

I just signed up for Xert and synced a whole lot of strava rides.
I got the feeling that Xert estimates my ftp rather low (from the past tests I estimate it around 300 watt, Xert estimates it around 240 watt), but riding has been slow the last few weeks with a lot of zone 2 rides.

Is it possible that Xert estimates the FTP low? Should I do another ftp test for Xert to make a correction? I dread the 20 minute FTP test, and that is what attracts me to Xert, but ofcourse I want accurate numbers to make shure I don't overtrain myself
But I could be wrong

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

Xert fitness signature has a tendency to decay, which is now configurable to no decay at all. you may want to switch to it and recalculate your progress and see if things look better for you.