Another PM thread - Stages Vs Quarq Dfour91

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Hi guys,

I never really cared much about power, but after riding on Zwift with a Kickr it has slowly starting to become a strong workout factor.
(Yeah I know, I’m late to this party)
:D :D :D :D

After some analysis to the PM contenders on my budget, I have three big options.
A. Garmin Vector 3S
B. Stages Gen 2.
C. Quarq Dfour 91

Not imagining myself getting rid of the titanium speedplay pedals of all bikes, I must ditch option A.

As for options B and C, I can get them for roughly the same price and guess that if I get the Quarq I can even sell the shimano crank without the rings.
I understand Quarq is probably an overall better PM, but it hurts me switching such a beautiful crank. IMO subjective of course, Quarq looks a bit cheap.

Not racing/ being a data geek, would I be ok with a stages? Or the better Quarq quality is more then compensation for its looks and the full DA group Set on the bike?
BTW the bike will be a Caad12 Black Inc - yes it has the shimano crank and not the hollow gram.
:thumbup: :noidea: :noidea:

Thanks for the help!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

It's funny that you mentioned the Speedplays. The best bike upgrade I ever did was to ditch my Speedplay Ti pedals for Shimano Dura Ace pedals. I get so much more power transfer out of the Dura Ace pedals. And the Dura Ace pedals are maintenance free. The Dura Ace cleats are very light, with hollow steel bolts.

I have two Quarq PMs, the Red 22 and the Dfour. I've never owned the Stages or the Garmin. Personally I prefer a spider based PM for accuracy and reliability. GL on your purchase.

boots2000

by boots2000

Get the Quarq- Stages is junk. So inaccurate and variable.

moonoi

by moonoi

boots2000 wrote:Get the Quarq- Stages is junk. So inaccurate and variable.
Your comment is junk and inaccurate

moonoi

by moonoi

So for all the mentioned power meters, they are all accurate to the manufacturers stated tolerances. I've owned and used over the years Quarq Red DZero, Quarq Elsa, Stages Ultegra, Stages Super Record, Pioneer Dual Sided and Rotor InPower.

It really comes down to cost and aesthetics, Stages is good enough and accurate, it compares well with the Pioneer Dual Sided Power Meter I have on my other bike, with the obvious exception that I don't get true L/R power. That said you don't get true L/R power with Quarq either, although it does accurately measure total power, rather than doubling up the left side power as on the stages.

In terms of reliability, I've had issues with both Stages and Quarq, my stages ate batteries initially, the local distributor was great and got it fixed in a very timely manner. My Quarq Red was great for the first few months, then started give either ridiculously high or low readings and strange offsets when calibrating. Took almost 5 months from sending the defective power meter to Quarq/SRAM to receiving a replacement. That said the Quarq Elsa has been faultless.

Hope this is helpful to your decision making process. Personally I'm planning to go with a pedal based solution next time I change my bike, so I can easily move it across and not worry about compatibility.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

Flawless from my Quarq DZero Red. I expect the same for DFour91.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

glepore

by glepore

moonoi wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:09 am
So for all the mentioned power meters, they are all accurate to the manufacturers stated tolerances. I've owned and used over the years Quarq Red DZero, Quarq Elsa, Stages Ultegra, Stages Super Record, Pioneer Dual Sided and Rotor InPower.

It really comes down to cost and aesthetics, Stages is good enough and accurate, it compares well with the Pioneer Dual Sided Power Meter I have on my other bike, with the obvious exception that I don't get true L/R power. That said you don't get true L/R power with Quarq either, although it does accurately measure total power, rather than doubling up the left side power as on the stages.

In terms of reliability, I've had issues with both Stages and Quarq, my stages ate batteries initially, the local distributor was great and got it fixed in a very timely manner. My Quarq Red was great for the first few months, then started give either ridiculously high or low readings and strange offsets when calibrating. Took almost 5 months from sending the defective power meter to Quarq/SRAM to receiving a replacement. That said the Quarq Elsa has been faultless.

Hope this is helpful to your decision making process. Personally I'm planning to go with a pedal based solution next time I change my bike, so I can easily move it across and not worry about compatibility.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
that says it all...same experience across 3 stages, prior srm, powertap user. Also have an elsa currently. I'm set on time pedals, and don't really want to change over, but now that I've got 5 different bikes in rotation the plethora of powermeters seems ridiculous.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

thegunner

by thegunner

ditto what the others said above, just wanted to +1 on the fact that the stages is fine if you're not looking for L/R balance.

Rubik

by Rubik

boots2000 wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:06 am
Get the Quarq- Stages is junk. So inaccurate and variable.
More or less agreed.

Rubik

by Rubik

thegunner wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:28 pm
ditto what the others said above, just wanted to +1 on the fact that the stages is fine if you're not looking for L/R balance.
Unless you're left leg dominant. Or right leg dominant. Or simply don't know.

thegunner

by thegunner

Rubik wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:59 pm
thegunner wrote:
honestly, even then, if you're using it for pacing or for tracking improvements over time, the dominance of one leg vs. the other isn't really an issue.

it's only an issue if you try and map those #'s to another power meter (which is why i take my stages readings with a grain of salt)

mds

by mds

thegunner wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:46 am
Rubik wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:59 pm
thegunner wrote:
honestly, even then, if you're using it for pacing or for tracking improvements over time, the dominance of one leg vs. the other isn't really an issue.

it's only an issue if you try and map those #'s to another power meter (which is why i take my stages readings with a grain of salt)
My power balance depends somewhat on zone. See the chart for data from my last ride. In Z4 (orange) power balance on this ride was nearly equal (50 to 52%), but in Z1-Z3 (blue) it was less equally balanced (52 to 56%). For me single leg power meter accuracy would vary with zone.

2009 Look 595

rainerhq

by rainerhq

That said, get power2max!
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Here's a link to my full review on Stages... the good and the bad.

long story, short.... I had some initial issues, but Stages took care of them and did so extremely quickly and as painlessly as possible. I've been using Stages power meters for 3+ years now and I'm 100% happy. I currently have 3 DA9000 models, 1 for each bike.

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

Stages are 'alright' Broadly accurate and easy enough to change around if you want. I had to send three back with the water ingress issue, they where changed quickly and with good back up, and the replacement has been as good as gold but I do tend to be careful about leaving it in a dry environment than my shed. Would I buy again....probably not, but then there is more choice at a better price point now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com