Maximum Overload for Cyclists

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

otoman

by otoman

Anybody read this book?

https://www.amazon.com/Bicycling-Maximu ... m+overload

The reviews are pretty bad so I am not overly inclined to suffer through reading a poorly edited, poorly organized book, however the concept of the book seems to have some merit for a way to organize an off-season, cycling specific weights program.

Without getting into the pros and cons of weight training for cyclists, has anyone used the concepts in this book? Care to share your program if you have?

Thanks!

:beerchug:
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill
Courir c’est mourir un peu

Clean39T

by Clean39T

I gave up on it after about 30 pages. It reads like bro-science and hucksterism..

micahmiz

by micahmiz

I got this book in e-book format purely out of curiosity as I wanted to see what sort of program can magically increase my ftp by 15% that doesn't involve using drugs.

As mentioned above, and as you have rightly assumed, as a book, it's pretty difficult to read.
The various workouts and suggested training plans are more or less scattered throughout the book. I had a hard time finding where the workouts were and what the routine should be. It's not even detailed or thorough. What's worse, is all the book seems to do is glorify the program and talk about all the wonders it has done for others.

In regards to the program...
A lot of the workouts are straight forward and common workouts that you'd find in the gym. I wouldn't say there is anything groundbreaking about the program. Do squats, do lunges, do some leg presses, do some dead lifts. If anything, I don't think the diagrams and pictures are well presented. It's hard to figure out exactly what to do, and I would be questioning if I'm doing the exercise correctly. I would think they should offer a video instructional guide to show the correct form and how it should be done. The pictures are so bad that I can imagine someone getting injured because they thought they were doing the workout correct, but were not. Also, some of the exercises are a bit strange. I think if you were doing them at the gym, everyone would be looking and laughing at you.

I wasted my money in two ways. I didn't learn much of anything to help my training and I also didn't get an enjoyable book to read.

Carcinogent

by Carcinogent

The program is the ONLY and I do mean the emphasis, program for building strength and (cycling specific) maximum sustainable power. I do not say that lightly since i have more than a decade of experience with gym work in various forms (the good, the bad and the ugly) for various sports (both power and endurance ones) and I have read a good amount of the publications on the topic such as Tudor Bompa who is among the fathers of the pricnipels of converting strength to power.

With that being said the total reviews are 4/5(which is pretty good) and they are either 5 stars or 2-3. The critical ones all say the same thing - seemingly too much repetition and unclear.

The information IS there, though you really need to read it over a couple of times, take notes and most importantly you need to have some basic background on what functional training really is (most personal trainers have no idea either). For the latter the book could have done a better job explaining and putting in context.

DISCLAIMER: I am one of the people who posted a detailed 3 star critical review and both authors responed and gave their contact info if I want to ask my questions. I actually had a 30+min *phone* conversation with Jacques DeVore two days ago where he really explained it all and that was the missing link for me to connect all the dots.

The most important in anything are the PRINCIPLES, as such this is the part you need to understand (or in this case distinguish between strength and power and Absolute Power Output (APO) and Maximum Sustained Power (MSP) to use the book's terminology). Then the warmup/workouts/periodisation make perfect sense.

If you just go through the motions/exercises *without* really understanding the big picture and strength vs power you will NOT make (noticeable) progress and worse you might get injured, especially if you are new to weight training.

I am confident I have a good enough understanding of the principles outlined in the book (I plan to write a detailed blog post shortly and post a link to it) so as is the purpose of these discussion groups, I can try to answer some questions people might have. I am currently on week one of the program and VERY sore and sluggish as is to be expected, though it works and activates all the right muscle groups and I am really excited for the coming months.

Of course as any good coach will tell you that you get out of the sport what you put in, therefore you must actually read the book and not just come here and be:

"I am too lazy to read the book, please spoon feed me that miracle program that will make my FTP +15%, etc." :D