Winter training clothing

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jaroslaw

by Jaroslaw

For lack of a more appropriate topic let me post here.
Recently I have noticed some new (?) Assos baselayer models bearing "Block" name as in below link.
https://www.bikeinn.com/rowery/assos-ls ... /1228064/p

Now, I can't figure what is the difference between the Block and the regular one:
https://www.bikeinn.com/rowery/assos-l- ... 36244215/p

Has any of you had any experience with the Block one or is it basically the same?
Price difference is minimal so I'm trying to figure out what is the difference.

Also, recently purchased Summer Assos short sleeves baselayer seems to be a bit bigger in size than the old model (with black stripes on left shoulder). Not a big difference but I had to return it and go one size down (from 1 to 0).

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

altura thermo cool base layer, short sleeve jersey then Vermac long sleeve jersey that is no longer made. When it drops below zero I then wear my altura night vision jacket on top and I stay warm. I wear blackmore apperal fleece lined tights and I use northwave artic shoes to keep my feet warm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

basilic

by basilic

I have done now a several winter rides with the q36.5 onesie seamless baselayer, complete with hood and glove liners. Il works beautifully, very smooth and elastic, and completely eliminates drafts. Very easy to remove the hood/gloves when needed.

Btw the summer version, sleeveless, is the bees knees.
Their (Q36.5) other stuff is nice, but not that different from other brands. The baselayers are in a class of their own.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Jaroslaw wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:03 am
For lack of a more appropriate topic let me post here.
Recently I have noticed some new (?) Assos baselayer models bearing "Block" name as in below link.
https://www.bikeinn.com/rowery/assos-ls ... /1228064/p

Now, I can't figure what is the difference between the Block and the regular one:
https://www.bikeinn.com/rowery/assos-l- ... 36244215/p

Has any of you had any experience with the Block one or is it basically the same?
Price difference is minimal so I'm trying to figure out what is the difference.

Also, recently purchased Summer Assos short sleeves baselayer seems to be a bit bigger in size than the old model (with black stripes on left shoulder). Not a big difference but I had to return it and go one size down (from 1 to 0).
To answer your question specifically about ASSOS, the Bike Inn products are the same. The 'Block' is part of 'Block Black'

Here is the same product on our website https://www.assos.com/ls-skinfoil-early ... BP&lang=en

and on Sigma https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Assos ... Layer/A2SU who both are a little cheaper.

RTW

Jaroslaw

by Jaroslaw

Thanks a ton for your reply RTW, much appreciated! :)

glepore

by glepore

The assos stuff is really good, but for those on a budget, good old duofold thermatrix works very well-started a ride yesterday at 35 that got to near 50 at the end and was completely comfortable in a Castelli Radiation (similar to l/s Gabba but slightly warmer and with zip vents in front). Using their mid weight. Its my go to stuff, even under Assos. I'd love to be able to afford baselayers that approach $100 but can't do that.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

i rode in 15(farenheight) degree weather today for 2.5 hours. was totally fine with the exception of my hands for the last half hour when the wind picked up. seems wind is the factor that really upsets the clothing gear although everything else worked just fine.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Chans1ee

by Chans1ee

I recommand assos bonka series.
Winter of south korea is pretty cold, almost -10 °C~2°C in january.
Bonka series are pretty expensive but that clothes is really warm, so that helps you train outdoor.
Now im using assos bonkagloves, bonkajacket and fugubootie.
Last day i worn that item on -8°C. It makes me 2 hours of outdoor training.

TonyM

by TonyM

+1 for the Assos Bonka serie when it is really cold below 0C

dim

by dim

sw0513 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:16 am
merino is answer
Alpaca wool is 3 1/2 times warmer than Merino .... :thumbup:
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Winter gloves - my hands are my limiting factor for cold weather. I wear Gore non-insulated windstopper gloves down to 45f (7c), then add wool liners down to 40f (5c). I’ve the insulated Gore gloves, but 1) the thin insulation readily conveys the cold air from the shell and 2) the insulation just sticks to your hand when you try to remove your glove, making reinsertion near impossible in the right space. Who makes a good windproof glove with some palm insulation and insulation above the fingers to push the shell material off? I’m thinking about lobster style gloves.

kode54

by kode54

@RTW,

regarding Assos skinfoils...what's the equivalent of a 5/7, 6/7 and 7/7 to the current lineup?

my 6/7 seems so similar to the 7/7. IIRC, the 6/7 has a 1/4 zip to the neck. i'm looking for something inbetween...not quite the long sleeve summer skinfoil. i already have the 3/4 baselayer.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

AJS914

by AJS914

jfranci3 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:22 pm
Winter gloves - my hands are my limiting factor for cold weather. I wear Gore non-insulated windstopper gloves down to 45f (7c), then add wool liners down to 40f (5c). I’ve the insulated Gore gloves, but 1) the thin insulation readily conveys the cold air from the shell and 2) the insulation just sticks to your hand when you try to remove your glove, making reinsertion near impossible in the right space. Who makes a good windproof glove with some palm insulation and insulation above the fingers to push the shell material off? I’m thinking about lobster style gloves.
I rode Castelli Estremo gloves last winter down to 35F. I thought they were great. My limiter was cold toes even with booties, wool socks, and toe warmers.

https://road.cc/content/review/70196-ca ... emo-gloves

I agree with the review about the velcro closure but I was just careful to keep it close so it wouldn't get caught on other clothing.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

kode54 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:32 pm
@RTW,

regarding Assos skinfoils...what's the equivalent of a 5/7, 6/7 and 7/7 to the current lineup?

my 6/7 seems so similar to the 7/7. IIRC, the 6/7 has a 1/4 zip to the neck. i'm looking for something inbetween...not quite the long sleeve summer skinfoil. i already have the 3/4 baselayer.
Ha.... honestly, I don't know. That system was before my time.

I think 5/7 would be spring fall long sleeve (2/4)
6/7 Early Winter long sleeve (3/4)
7/7 Deep Winter long sleeve (4/4)

bilwit

by bilwit

Anyone have a tip for knee warmers? I got a set from La Passione but they're pretty TERRIBLE and don't stay put (they slide down my leg when I pedal..). I have an old set of merino ones from Rapha that have a super grippy strip that works perfectly but I'm trying to steer away from Rapha atm

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com