Winter training clothing

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

AJS914

by AJS914

I have good luck with all sorts of Pearl Izumi arm, leg, and knee warmers. I just bought a set of the sun protection arm and knee warmers. They are my new favorite piece of kit. On an early morning when you start off and it's 55-60F but you know it will be 70F later they are perfect. When it's colder and I know it will stay under 65F I just wear my bib knickers.

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Shop/R ... 4371834021
Last edited by AJS914 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Leg warmers /arm warmers are something anyone can make. I’ve had just as good of luck with poly ones as shell-type materials.

Obviously, Castelli - I have the nano flex knee and thermo flex leg. Both are about the same. The nano might be better cut and the fabric bunches less if you flex your knee almost closed. They seem to work better next to skin rather than as a 2nd layer.

I tried gore, they didn’t seem to fit as well and were tighter than Castelli (!!).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

thx. i suppose that's why they eliminated the 7 steps version in lieu of the 4 step one. with that in mind...Assos does make a 1/4 summer sleeveless, short sleeves and long summer sleeve version...all within the 1/4 line. makes more sense to me and 1 being the hottest season.
RTW wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:24 am
kode54 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:32 pm
@RTW,

regarding Assos skinfoils...what's the equivalent of a 5/7, 6/7 and 7/7 to the current lineup?

my 6/7 seems so similar to the 7/7. IIRC, the 6/7 has a 1/4 zip to the neck. i'm looking for something inbetween...not quite the long sleeve summer skinfoil. i already have the 3/4 baselayer.
Ha.... honestly, I don't know. That system was before my time.

I think 5/7 would be spring fall long sleeve (2/4)
6/7 Early Winter long sleeve (3/4)
7/7 Deep Winter long sleeve (4/4)
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

spartacus

by spartacus

Look up nalini manto tex gloves. They are the best I've ever used. I think gloves are pretty much the most important thing.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Too many slight variations of clothes! I made the mistake of getting both Castelli Perfetto long sleeve and Trasparente Jersey thinking the Perfetto would be a better cold weather shell with layers (winter doesn't equal rain here) and the Trasparente would be a non-shell thermal long sleeve good for warmer temps. Despite Castelli having these at different temp ranges, they are of equal warmth. Both top out at 15c for me. I can wear either down to 4c with a "200" weight wool LS base. The Trasparente is better before you start moving (as the shell material isn't as thick), while you're working harder (as it as a more breathable back), while the perfetto looks better. I wish I could have returned one after trying both.

https://www.castelli-cycling.com/us/men ... 50718A-893
https://www.castelli-cycling.com/us/men ... 50918A-343

AJS914

by AJS914

I have a Trasparente Due that I love. It seems like the primary difference is that the Perfetto gets the Gabba treatment.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The Gabba/Perfetto have shell material on the back vs thin fleece back. They are a bit more stretchy/fitted. They have two belly vents vs one chest vent. They are shiny vs more matte. They shell material is more rubbery, which transmits the chill more while you're not working as hard.
I also tried the Transition jacket, but - IIRC - I didn't like the fit and seemed to be for days when I'd just wear a jersey and arm warmers.