It's All About the Climbing [Wahoo Climb + Kickr]

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tomee

by tomee

liketoride wrote:I too run tr and zwift together and can say when you feel like you can’t make the interval and someone on zwift comes up behind you I️t is amazing how you have the ability to finish. Doesn’t happen all the time but every now and again is nice

'Close that gap!' :D

motorthings

by motorthings

switch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q ... UTF8&psc=1

usb extension - good for getting the ANT+ usb key close enough to the trainer to avoid dropouts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... UTF8&psc=1

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Conza

by Conza

motorthings wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:18 pm
switch: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001Q ... UTF8&psc=1

usb extension - good for getting the ANT+ usb key close enough to the trainer to avoid dropouts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000 ... UTF8&psc=1
Oh nice extension; I'll have to checkout that. It says 10m for ANT+ usb key though; which should be more than enough? About 5m away. That ok - http://www.wiggle.com.au/lifeline-ant-usb-stick/
It's all about the adventure :o .

Conza

by Conza

General Rambling Update

Kickr has arrived. GF is away for a week up north; so I setup the matt, desk, and kickr in the middle of the living room (haha, it won't last long here).

Hectic rain outside where the trainer is meant to be (bit of an outlier); and noticed that the water crept in and had the Kickr climb been there; not so great (although probably ok with the cover). Has me less likely to leave it out there though; so I'll need a frame holder or something.

At the moment using my main bike (11-28); not the specific indoor trainer bike. The cassette that came with it is 11-26 SRAM I think. Gears aren't changing that great. But good enough for the mean time. Pretty quiet when you get used to it. Gears loudest thing so far.

I had the AC on (right under it) from behind; down to 17C and high fan. Will need another in front of me. Damn, definitely need fans. Had to stop to grab a towel, water bottle refills a few times.

I can imagine not having a specific indoor trainer bike would be an absolute pain in the ass. To the point I know I'd not bother if I couldn't just jump on.

I reckon I'll even look at an ice vest or something (think someone linked to previously).

Think I will get an ANT+ dongle for the sake of it; but the ipad and bluetooth have been fine with the wahoo HRM, and kickr. I used Rouvy for my first proper ride; and signed up to FulGaz trial as well. Real happy with both.

Turns out my ipad gen 4 isn't a mini, so isn't compatible with zwift. Not that I really care, but would have been good to test out.

I used my android Google Nexus 5X to initially pair with Kickr and update firmware; had to download Wahoo fitness app, and Wahoo utility to do that. No problems. Did spin down fine.

Started with Rouvy and rate it. No kickr climb yet, but I was out of the saddle enough. Will be interesting to compare that when it arrives. A bigger screen would help; the ipad does the job but I can imagine a massive screen adding to the realism. Prospecting how to get it onto the TV. Apparently there is a way to screencast maybe. Or use a hdmi cable.. unsure atm.

Ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/131930­6182 , Col d'Izoard. Posted some history for my own sake, and a quality picture. Gonna carry this on for the next one.

glepore

by glepore

Yes, a big screen will make a huge difference. Projectors are cheap if you shop. I use a cable, but I'm sure there are screecast options if you have a tuner or are using a smart tv.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Conza

by Conza

Noise cancelling headphones? Wireless? Any suggestions?

Also - anyone used any TechNiche - cooling vests? https://www.technicheanz.com/collections/sports

Will provide an update for anyone who cares soon - re: setup etc. :lol:

KCookie

by KCookie

The first thing I did was to change the cassette to an Ultegra 11-28, shifting is great. Yes it does certainly make it easier having a dedicated bike set up constantly on the trainer. Think I would loose enthusiasm keep hooking up a bike.
Streaming through a big TV helps to, I use an HDMI cable from my lap top to the TV.
Yes I would like to see some pics and feed back on the climber, I'm considering getting one, but unfortunately I'd have to get the new Kickr to. Wife's not interested in using the one I only bought a while back so I'd have to try and sell it.
Also I just bought a remote fan from Bunnings $129, with 24 settings which is awesome, might be worth checking that out to.

kode54

by kode54

Conza wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:27 pm
Noise cancelling headphones? Wireless? Any suggestions?

Also - anyone used any TechNiche - cooling vests? https://www.technicheanz.com/collections/sports

Will provide an update for anyone who cares soon - re: setup etc. :lol:
maybe you can see if AirPlay works off of the iPad. you can mirror or play what's on the iPad onto the TV via AppleTV.

would like to hear your comments on the climb. if its good...i'll have to sell my V.1 Kickr and get the new one.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Shrike

by Shrike

Congrats on getting setup!

Grab some decent wireless headphones, ones that pair easily without needing to re-pair all the time. Sony do some cheap xtra bass ones on Amazon. I find a headphone wire is a bit annoying when you're using the towel a lot.

You really want to make everything as convenient as possible. Being able to simply jump on the bike and go at any time is a massive boon. We have two of us at our place and I used to have to switch our bikes over between each training session. Sounds silly, but it really becomes a drag. In the end I decided it was worth it to get two trainers, two screens, stands etc. Just fully kit us out. Now it's great we just jump on and go.

If you could eBay a cheap trainer bike at some point that would be ideal in the long term.

Just sort the cooling out, any way you can. Do what you got to do so you can almost feel cool in between intervals. Failing that at least try to get powerful enough fans that mean very little sweat is actually dripping off your body. I would save cash and spend here if necessary. 17inch fans were good enough for us. Not so hot where we live (-4 to 16 degrees C over the whole year) and we keep the heating off permanently. Windows open almost full-time! :D

Conza

by Conza

KCookie wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:41 pm
The first thing I did was to change the cassette to an Ultegra 11-28, shifting is great. Yes it does certainly make it easier having a dedicated bike set up constantly on the trainer. Think I would loose enthusiasm keep hooking up a bike.

Streaming through a big TV helps to, I use an HDMI cable from my lap top to the TV.
Yes I would like to see some pics and feed back on the climber, I'm considering getting one, but unfortunately I'd have to get the new Kickr to. Wife's not interested in using the one I only bought a while back so I'd have to try and sell it.

Also I just bought a remote fan from Bunnings $129, with 24 settings which is awesome, might be worth checking that out to.
Yep. Went Shimano 105, 11-28. I didn't think cassette would matter much but that one it came with; total piece of... quieter now. I used Squirt - wax lube, great stuff. Bit quieter still. No dirt from road or anything to ever worry about :o :lol: .

My setup doesn't really allow big TV action unfortunately; although when the GF is away - can certainly happen :) .
kode54 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:01 pm
would like to hear your comments on the climb. if its good...i'll have to sell my V.1 Kickr and get the new one.
Sorry no Climb as of yet, and yet to land. But I will post my setup!

Conza

by Conza

Shrike wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:49 pm
Congrats on getting setup!

Grab some decent wireless headphones, ones that pair easily without needing to re-pair all the time. Sony do some cheap xtra bass ones on Amazon. I find a headphone wire is a bit annoying when you're using the towel a lot.

You really want to make everything as convenient as possible. Being able to simply jump on the bike and go at any time is a massive boon. We have two of us at our place and I used to have to switch our bikes over between each training session. Sounds silly, but it really becomes a drag. In the end I decided it was worth it to get two trainers, two screens, stands etc. Just fully kit us out. Now it's great we just jump on and go.

If you could eBay a cheap trainer bike at some point that would be ideal in the long term.

Just sort the cooling out, any way you can. Do what you got to do so you can almost feel cool in between intervals. Failing that at least try to get powerful enough fans that mean very little sweat is actually dripping off your body. I would save cash and spend here if necessary. 17inch fans were good enough for us. Not so hot where we live (-4 to 16 degrees C over the whole year) and we keep the heating off permanently. Windows open almost full-time! :D
Thanks! I (am fine) but was hit by a car fair few months ago. Bike was written off; and insurance claim - won. Sentimental value - groupset all scuffed etc. fair bit of damage but aesthetics don't matter here. No real risk with the frame being stationary; and trying to sell it would have been a mission - with disclaimers etc, and I would never be confident about the safety, so this was actually a really handy option. :D

Got a 40cm fan - xmas gift voucher, that works great. Not too long. No remote for it, but not too fussed currently.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Does anybody know how well Climb works with descending? I hear it supports up to -10 percent, but would the position also affect the resistance, or the rolling of the flywheel? Since Kickr doesn't have any motor to assist the rider's pedal-power, I'm concern it's merely about the lowering the front of bikes...

I know still the stuff looks very innovative - would work magic on ascending, but I always want to keep my hype smaller.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ that’s all it ever was for decending.. just lowering the front end .. there is no assist
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

tomee

by tomee

nice setup conza.

how do you find the wahoo desk?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Conza

by Conza

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/01/wah ... lines.html

https://youtu.be/B4BU7NZgtvc
...But what’s caused some of the delays (remember, the goal was to ship by November 2017) is the manufacturing pieces, and ensuring that the parts meet their testing levels. The previous test pass of 20,000 cycles (automated test) caused an issue with one part that had to be investigated to determine if it was a one-off or a more systemic item. It sounds like that’s behind them now, and the goal is to do another small pre-production run over the next week or so, followed by another set of automated cycle tests. If that passes, then they’ll start full-scale production.

All of which puts them into February sometime for delivery. Initially, some units will go by air from their factory facilities in Asia, and then they’ll transition to more economical shipping via ocean-going cargo ships.

This is actually one reason Wahoo never took preorders (nor authorized any retailers to do so either), in that they didn’t want a situation like the ELEMNT years prior whereby things were delayed for those that had put money down. None of which of course changes the fact that many of us want our gadgets now, but at least we don’t have money stuck somewhere waiting for it.

As for a full in-depth review, I wasn’t able to steal one of the suite ones, so things will have to wait one of the more final production runs occurs. But once that does and they give the green light on shipping, then I’ll definitely post a more in-depth review of the unit...
Looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer... :oops:

tomee wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:53 pm
nice setup conza.

how do you find the wahoo desk?
Think my GF likes it even more than me (uses it as a standing desk when she is working :lol: ), so "the bike trainer can stay" apparently :lol: - so its amazing 8) .

Technically speaking; real handy to wheel it out and raise it - put the ipad up and bench for 3 water bottles, n' a bit more.

I rate it. Probably better alternatives but hits the nail on the head in my less than permanent setup.