PAIN Cave Set Up. What's Yours? Photos Please!

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Hamfist

by Hamfist

jrobart wrote:So I'm in the fortunate position of creating a pain cave from scratch. We are renovating (read: gutting) an old farm house and the one thing I got out of the negation with my wife was a dedicated cycling room.

I've got all of the basics covers (wall mounted TV, Wahoo Kickr, big ass fan, etc.), but want to know if there are things that others have done/or not done and with they had when they've created their oasis of pain. It's a good sized room (roughly 15 x 18) so I've got plenty of space.

Thanks.

For flooring the horse stall mats from TSC can't be beat. 4'x6' with a tread and slotted on the bottom for air flow. When I bought mine they were 40$/each. Assuming you're in the states....

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Great setups!

Unfortunately I am not able to have a nice Pain Cave. My partner and I live in a small apartment, without storage room or garage. I set up a nice mat, with a cheap mag trainer in the living room and place my laptop with trainerroad on the table next to me. This introduces a lot of overhead so I don't do it as often as I'd like, and also it is difficult to keep the windows open while my better half is also there. But well...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Conza wrote:I am just designing my setup now.

Going to go with Kickr3/17, kickr climb, wahoo matt, wahoo desk.

Anyone able to let me know what the length of the setup would be with just their kickr? And then I suppose climb (roughly speaking?) Bonus for those who also have a desk?

Need to know if it will fit :)

When are they releasing the new Kickr is OZ then, my LBS still haven't got a date yet. I only bought mine a few months ago, but wish I had known about the climber not being compatible, might have considered waiting.
The length from front wheel to the back of trainer is 62". With the climber I'm assuming less.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

Small living room but still possibly to set up trainer setup. Image
Last edited by Kumppa on Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

KCookie wrote:

Anyone able to let me know what the length of the setup would be with just their kickr? And then I suppose climb (roughly speaking?) Bonus for those who also have a desk?

When are they releasing the new Kickr is OZ then, my LBS still haven't got a date yet. I only bought mine a few months ago, but wish I had known about the climber not being compatible, might have considered waiting.
The length from front wheel to the back of trainer is 62". With the climber I'm assuming less.
Already released. Have one sitting in the garage that I still haven't opened yet.

Was a pretty dick move on behalf of Wahoo to rush out the V2 then drop the V3.

Climb will be available in the new year, considering getting one to take pressure off the soft bits when doing tt efforts by manually changing the angle from time to time.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

thegunner

by thegunner

Kumppa wrote:Small living room but still possibly to set up trainer setup.

ha, if i did this, i would quickly be single again.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

thegunner wrote:

Thats why it's not permanent setup.

These student apartments are pretty compact and its raining snow and water outside so my partner let me doing this inside when she is not home. Althought yesterday when she saw me Zwifting she asked if she can test it out with her road bike. :mrgreen:

Conza

by Conza

KCookie wrote:

FE Sports is the Oz distributor. Been out for awhile. I don't see a backorder for them. Jan-ish for Climb, and back-orders atm. They are still doing production improvements 8) .

I was meant to pull the trigger today but doing more research. Legend, thanks for the measurement.

If only Tacx Neo was compatible with climb... OR Tacx — surely they will come out with something similar?

They made the Tacx magnum/treadmill ffs! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVLls05qzV4

Has anyone kept their indoor smart trainers outside at all? And used them? For a period of time?

I have a semi covered / outdoor patio. Live in an apartment so space is hard to find. I could put a cover over it etc. very little chance of rain etc, but maybe some direct sunlight rarely.

Any thoughts?
It's all about the adventure :o .

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Kumppa wrote:
thegunner wrote:

Thats why it's not permanent setup.

These student apartments are pretty compact and its raining snow and water outside so my partner let me doing this inside when she is not home. Althought yesterday when she saw me Zwifting she asked if she can test it out with her road bike. :mrgreen:

Thats exactly the problem, waiting for your partner not being at home, setting everything up, removing everything again. Does not make for very consistent training, but I guess it's better than not at all.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

It takes like 2-3min to set up and another one to remove. Not big problem. Actually I have been lazy couple of days and only lifted whole trainer and bike combo near window.

Nowadays we dont have real snowy winters in here Scandinavia, only wet so I prefer to ride inside.

TonyM

by TonyM

Kumppa wrote:It takes like 2-3min to set up and another one to remove. Not big problem. Actually I have been lazy couple of days and only lifted whole trainer and bike combo near window.

Nowadays we dont have real snowy winters in here Scandinavia, only wet so I prefer to ride inside.

What is usually the temperature outside?

KCookie

by KCookie

Conza wrote:
KCookie wrote:

FE Sports is the Oz distributor. Been out for awhile. I don't see a backorder for them. Jan-ish for Climb, and back-orders atm. They are still doing production improvements 8) .

I was meant to pull the trigger today but doing more research. Legend, thanks for the measurement.

If only Tacx Neo was compatible with climb... OR Tacx — surely they will come out with something similar?

They made the Tacx magnum/treadmill ffs! :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVLls05qzV4

Has anyone kept their indoor smart trainers outside at all? And used them? For a period of time?

I have a semi covered / outdoor patio. Live in an apartment so space is hard to find. I could put a cover over it etc. very little chance of rain etc, but maybe some direct sunlight rarely.

Any thoughts?

Yeah I keep mine outside under my veranda. If you look through this tread you can see some pics of my setup.
I actually put some bearings left over from my time peddles on the skewer to see if I could get some movement for the climber. It worked but the skewer worked itself loose pretty quick. Looks like I will have to sell it and buy the new model.

Kumppa

by Kumppa

TonyM wrote:
Kumppa wrote:It takes like 2-3min to set up and another one to remove. Not big problem. Actually I have been lazy couple of days and only lifted whole trainer and bike combo near window.

What is usually the temperature outside?

Like this:
Later autumn - December: +7 to -3 °C
January - February: -2 to -10°C usually but can go up to -25 °C
March - Apri: -2 to +3 °C

Usually January and February are only snowy months. Othwerwise ~0°C with slush and freezing water. It was like 10 years ago when we had real winter in southern part of Finland and snow from beginning of December to March.

I like to ride outside if there would be snow and couple degrees cold but right now it's +5°C and raining water. Last winter I had opportunity to ride in sports hall 2x week but not this year so trainer is only option for weekly trains.

Conza

by Conza

KCookie wrote:Yeah I keep mine outside under my veranda. If you look through this tread you can see some pics of my setup.
I actually put some bearings left over from my time peddles on the skewer to see if I could get some movement for the climber. It worked but the skewer worked itself loose pretty quick. Looks like I will have to sell it and buy the new model.

Oh true :o .

KCookie wrote:My Pain Cave.
Wahoo Kickr.
All outdoors with water cooled air conditioner for really hot days, fan for cooler days, surround sound speakers for my house music and 42" screen for Zwift.ImageImageImage

How long have you kept it out there? Leave it out there? What temps are you usually dealing with?

The advice I got from GP Lama, and DC rainmaker was - should be ok, but they wouldn't do it. *Erring on side of caution.

I pulled the trigger finally on the Kickr 3, Matt, and Desk this arvo. Just need a fan now... and extension cord...
It's all about the adventure :o .

KCookie

by KCookie

Conza wrote:
KCookie wrote:Yeah I keep mine outside under my veranda. If you look through this tread you can see some pics of my setup.

Oh true :o .

KCookie wrote:My Pain Cave.
Wahoo Kickr.
All outdoors with water cooled air conditioner for really hot days, fan for cooler days, surround sound speakers for my house music and 42" screen for Zwift.ImageImageImage

How long have you kept it out there? Leave it out there? What temps are you usually dealing with?

The advice I got from GP Lama, and DC rainmaker was - should be ok, but they wouldn't do it. *Erring on side of caution.

I pulled the trigger finally on the Kickr 3, Matt, and Desk this arvo. Just need a fan now... and extension cord...
Been out there since the day i bought it, around 5 months. Temps can go up to the mid 30s. Doesn't seem to have caused any problems.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com