How much rest do you need after a FTP test?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

buhx2

by buhx2

I've got a big race coming up on Saturday, and haven't done a FTP test since July. Was thinking of doing one on Wednesday, but worried it isn't enough recovery time to be fully rested for Saturday. What are everyone's thoughts on rest days after a FTP test?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rubik

by Rubik

A 20 min test? Maybe an hour? A 40 min test? A couple of hours? 60 min test? A day?

Of course, all a function of your training volume and experience, but seeing as how even most cat 5s race multiple days in a row, I definitely wouldn't worry about a Wednesday workout and a Saturday race.

For whatever it's worth, there's an interesting anecdote about a guy going for the hour record on one day and not getting it and turning around the next day and getting it... Talk about your ftp test!

I think a better question would be why you want to do an FTP test now if your big race is this weekend? A little late at this point to adjust training.

buhx2

by buhx2

Was going to do a 20 minute test with some warm up prior to that works out to 1 hour workout. Not so much to adjust training as it is to know where I should be at during the race. I also wasn't sure how much effort I should be putting in a few days prior to, so wanted to get some thoughts.

jlok

by jlok

upload your past 6 months .fit files to a trial Xert account and see how it predict your TP.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

evelyngriffin

by evelyngriffin

I need one hour to have a rest after this test
Cycling helps me to release wild spirit for free that stays inside of me. This is an amazing feeling!

Marin

by Marin

Wow, even with on-topic sig!

mattr

by mattr

Rubik wrote:For whatever it's worth, there's an interesting anecdote about a guy going for the hour record on one day and not getting it and turning around the next day and getting it... Talk about your ftp test!
Hardly an anecdote, it was Graeme Obree at Vikingskipet, Norway. Had to squeeze his second attempt in before a) his rental of the velodrome ran out (booked for 24hours) and b) the officials had to leave to catch their flight, about 9 or 9:30am IIRC.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com