Strava cheaters

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

53x12

by 53x12

fromtrektocolnago wrote:honestly , i'm more irritated by indoor strava rides.

Are you also irritated by indoor Zwift rides?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

1415chris

by 1415chris

Why would you put indoor training among those who cheat?
In what sens it's cheating?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Swannie

by Swannie

Why is that? I'm a father of 2, oldest 4 and youngest 2, full time job and my goal is 350km / week from march till end of september. 200 - 250 a week october till februari.
I have time on tuesdayevening, wednesdayevening, sunday and if i m lucky also saturday.
But here in Belgium it does happen the weather is simply to bad to train outside.
So then i train inside on my tacx, on a resistance compared to training outside. No avg like someguys @ 45k an hour.
2 hours on the tackx to me is much harder than 2 hours on the street!

However i made a bikeprofile 'stumpjumper tacx' so i can see how many hours / 'km's ' i did inside.

Rubik

by Rubik

I always report crazy-looking strava koms. I've reported stuff in other states I've never even ridden just because it popped up when looking at someone's ride.

Takes all of 2 secs.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

53x12 wrote:

same difference
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

53x12

by 53x12

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
53x12 wrote:

same difference

Why is that?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

53x12 wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:
53x12 wrote:

same difference

Why is that?

riding indoors on a trainer, may be a good training tool, but its not cycling. at least that's my opinion.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

jorryt

by jorryt

So you are harmed because someone is training indoors? He doesn't take any KOM's and he really is riding his bike.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

jorryt wrote:So you are harmed because someone is training indoors? He doesn't take any KOM's and he really is riding his bike.

don't build a strawman. i never said harmed, simply annoyed and it shows up in club rankings. if strava built a separate category or filter the issue would go away
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)

53x12

by 53x12

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
jorryt wrote:So you are harmed because someone is training indoors? He doesn't take any KOM's and he really is riding his bike.

don't build a strawman. i never said harmed, simply annoyed and it shows up in club rankings. if strava built a separate category or filter the issue would go away

Someone needs to spend more time on their bike putting out watts and less time worried about the club rankings.

jorryt

by jorryt

Indeed

Rubik

by Rubik

fromtrektocolnago wrote:

Is a person not pedaling indoors? Is power not being produced? Are kJ not being expended?

Riding inside counts just as much as riding outside. Good, efficient way to get fit.

zazo

by zazo

There is E-Bike Ride category in Strava, but probably nobody uses it, just like everyone uploads their walks as runs, and totals are useless for any comparison...

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Isn't Strava supposed to have an algorithm that recognizes KOMs set in a car post ride? I thought they said they did, until I forgot to turn off my phone and accidentally set a couple KOMs myself, doing 45mph up a 1mi 6% grade climb. It is an easy mistake to make, as the phone app can be a little clunky, especially if you have a weak signal, and may upload the ride without alerting you that you didn't hit stop at the end of the ride. That sort of thing should be easily recognizable by a rudimentary algo.

Indoor rides shouldn't be a problem for KOM hunters. It sounds like it is the people looking to get recognized for most mi/week that have an issue with them counting equally.

Ebikes are going to be a disaster for Strava. Requiring just HR wouldn't even be enough, because you have could have a somewhat unfit person on an ebike, redlining themselves, so they are really putting out a high relative effort, but they are getting a 250w electric boost, which would put their own personal redline into Froome territory for speed. Requiring power would help, but you could always have someone using a Powertap on an ebike and, as far as I know, it wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Maybe they can use the phone sensors to recognize the EMF put out by the motor, in a manner similar to the UCI bike checks. Other than that, I think the days of (semi) reliable KOMs are over.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

You'd think algorithms to flag rides would be a piece of cake for them. Unfortunately, they don't seem to give a crap about a lot of the stuff the membership cares about.
Last edited by AJS914 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.