Strava cheaters

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Actually, less cheaters and more dumbos who leave their Garmin or Smartphone running, after tossing their bike in their vehicle. Mountain bikers are the easiest to spot and flag, since you can see their course riding on trails at 5mph, then later going 75mph on the freeway!

What's so hard about cropping out those segments in their vehicles? Do they really want a KOM going 40mph up a 5% gradient? It's obvious and foolish. I'd be embarrassed about leaving an ill-gotten record on there.

Anybody besides me get irritated by this? Do you ever flag the dopes who leave their phony time on Strava? :shock:
Oldbie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

honestly , i'm more irritated by indoor strava rides.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

fromtrektocolnago wrote:honestly , i'm more irritated by indoor strava rides.

+1

I think its fine to sync indoor/trainer rides to Strava, as long as they remain marked "private". It's useful to simply watch your total hours, accumulated TSS, and stuff -- but it doesn't need to be public, that's for sure.

(Of course there are far better tools for managing your indoor ride history such as TrainingPeaks, GC, WKO4, etc)

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Those "rides" irritate me, too. But they don't qualify for segment KOMs, right? And at least they're working out.
I'm thinking of those sections where I absolutely turn myself inside out for my own PR.
Then see a bunch of jokers listed above me who cruised it in their car!
The only KOM I could ever get would be riding up to the end of our cul de sac.
But many a strong rider around my area punished themselves to earn a KOM.
Until the faker came along blasting the A/C and Van Halen inside their car! :twisted:
Oldbie

chipomarc

by chipomarc

I got tired of lame kudos and could care less about other people. I have ALL my rides set as private.

Only use Strava because I find VeloViewer interesting and it needs Strava activities.

Agree with the post above, use something such as TrainingPeaks for your training. Strava doesn't cut it.

chipomarc

by chipomarc

The upcoming E Bikes will totally ruin what's left of Strava enjoyment.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

chipomarc wrote:The upcoming E Bikes will totally ruin what's left of Strava enjoyment.

+1 I firmly believe that wearing an HRM and/or power meter (I know it's somewhat financially unfair) are the only methods to judge a person's actual Strava segment. Suck a wheel in a 25mph group ride? Strava virtual power is too dumb to properly display it. But a power meter and/or HRM sure makes it easy to spot.

yinya

by yinya

(In my opinion) it is my Strava, I upload what I want, if someone doesn't like, they can stop following me. I personally can't be bothered to set an indoor ride private nor do I see it being much different than the 146253th ride on the local loop in terms of excitement level. Same for a couple of km in the vehicle or drafting the vehicle to get back to the group, should it happen that someone loses their KOM in the process, flag it and I don't contest it...not going to proactively try to figure where to start/end the crop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thePrince

by thePrince

chipomarc wrote:The upcoming E Bikes will totally ruin what's left of Strava enjoyment.

There's this guy in my area who spent a good three months ruining the leaderboards.

He has kind of douchey looking headshot for his picture, which is just enough incentive to flag him every time I see a KOM.

He either gave up on strava or started doing private rides. Maybe all the emails of me flagging his rides annoyed him :twisted:

Pschnei3

by Pschnei3

What this guy said

AJS914

by AJS914

You mean that you don't like seeing your friend's trainer rides in the feed? Why?

Delorre

by Delorre

I've 'lost' a bunch of KOM's by dudes running their gamin in a car or on a motorbike. I flag them, it's simple as that and easy to spot. But, i once lost 2 KOM's in the same ride, and it looked OK, 25km/h avg on something like 7% for 1 km. Fast, but OK. until I saw the second KOM was also spot on 25km/h on a longer segment, around 6%. And then, i saw the whole ride : 85km at 24,9 km/h avg and a top speed of 30K I have no proof, but I flagged the ride anyway, because there was also no HRM of power on display. Dude must have had a nice ride on his E-bike, nothing against that, but then, he should have marked it as private, or workout, and nog poluate the leader boards...

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

JackRussellRacing wrote:

+1

I think its fine to sync indoor/trainer rides to Strava, as long as they remain marked "private". It's useful to simply watch your total hours, accumulated TSS, and stuff -- but it doesn't need to be public, that's for sure.

(Of course there are far better tools for managing your indoor ride history such as TrainingPeaks, GC, WKO4, etc)

on some clubs, i've seen people jump on a trainer late sunday just so they can claim #1 spot for mileage during the week
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I'm in China and there are these couple of really weak dudes on top of the leader boards. They have like a Forerunner, a 520 and an iphone all running but start and end them at different times. The foreunner can turn in 20,000 meters altitude gain in 50km by being crap. Then the guy also triples up on the distance and 'group rides with self'.

It's so pathetic that I stopped even flagging them, everyone can see they are not legit from a mile off.

I have to be honest, when the prices come down a bit for power meters I'd like to see people not be able to take top 10s in segments without data from both HRMs and PMs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stoney

by stoney

eBikes are the worst. Why would you even upload to Strava an eBike ride? You didn't work for the distance or speed so no need to track your workout time.