TrainerRoad vs. Zwift vs. SufferFest

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

53x12

by 53x12

These are the three that I believe are the most popular apps for indoor training. Here in the USA, they are all priced around the same at $10-12/month. All seem to have modern and easy to use interface and can use with a computer or a iPad/iPhone.

Is it safe to say that TrainerRoad and SufferFest offer better structured training regimens than Zwift. My experience with Zwift is that for just getting time on the trainer, it is fun. As it basically makes riding into a video game. However, I got bored with it easily and stopped using it. Since I last used it, I have heard they have added more of a workout aspect to it? I don't really care about the social aspect or designing a character with different jerseys or bike equipment. Maybe the race aspect would be fun to try?

Seems Zwift is more fun (entertainment) but SufferFest and TrainerRoad are more useful and practical. Is this a fair assessment?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

mvnsnd

by mvnsnd

It depends. I don't know about trainerroad or sufferfest regarding actual training plans, but I can say that zwift does have some for specific goals.

You can see all the workouts on Zwift here, and of course you can create your own, or convert Training peaks workouts for Zwift. https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/

Personally, I like having the scenery change during the ride in Zwift. I like the video aspect of sufferfest, I have not tried trainerroad. In any of them you can do a structured workout. I think, in Zwift, if you disconnect your network after logging in, you end up alone on the course. Or you can do a simple hack to use a different course for the session.

Some of the group rides on Zwift can be fun and fast. It's certainly worth trying out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kytyree

by kytyree

I'm planning to try Zwift first this winter and see if it helps me pass the time better. Normally if I'm not doing anything very intense I watch sports or something, I prefer soccer as there aren't any commercial breaks.

If I'm not a fan of zwift I think I'll try trainerroad and see if I like just using it for interval training etc and I can watch tv the rest of the time.

Interested to hear other opinions on the subject though as I haven't used any of the three. I have been working on setting up my trainer space but avoiding it as long as I can for now!

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

For me, TrainerRoad. I think it is a more holistic approach to training between their structured workouts, training plans, blogs, and podcasts.

I Zwift occasionally, and generally dislike the cartoony nature of it.

glepore

by glepore

Ergvideo for me...combines the structured workouts of trainer road with high quality video. Expensive ...
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

sanrensho

by sanrensho

PerfPro over TrainerRoad for me. One-time software purchase, /no subscription costs ever. Extremely customizable, constantly updated, responsive support, huge workout library, workout creator, works offline, etc. You can even do Sufferfest workouts in PerfPro.

53x12

by 53x12

Can anyone speak specifically about the kind of workouts Zwift provides and their quality? Would prefer to only use one if I can get away with it. For General riding Zwift seems the way to go. But I want the ability to do specific workouts as well.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Kurets

by Kurets

I can only speak of the workouts I did last winter in Zwift (and I know its constantly updating too). But, to me there seems to be enough variety in workouts for what actually matters. Instead of having the gimmicky workouts with lots of power spikes and jumping around there are good standard ones like 2x20, 2x30 SST, 5x5, 4x4 etc. Which in reality is what makes the most sense.
I have been undecided about Zwift or TrainerRoad myself but have concluded that I have a good enough idea of the sessions I ought to do, plus I can plan in gym if I dont do the five days on the trainer prescribed by trainerroad.
What I picture is doing the SST intervals + 2x20 most of the base period. After that mixing in more 5x5 and shorter. Finally for racing prep doing some 40/20 max intervals. All possible with Zwift, no need for TrainerRoad.

kytyree

by kytyree

I’m just getting started with zwift and the workouts but I did the 2x30 SST workout and that was encouraging enough for me to use it more. Trainerroad may be good too but me doing 90 minutes on a stationary trainer is not the norm but zwift kept me from getting bored and I think it does a good job with the erg control.

There are some good options there to choose from, next I want to learn how to create my own if I want.

apex

by apex

This is my first time trying to post an image so I hope this work. This is a picture of Dr. Stephen Seilers hierarchy of needs as it relates to the endurance athlete. The base of the pyramid is built on frequency and volume which is supported by the strongest evidence. I admit that I am mentally weak and need external motivation to keep me coming back. Zwift has been able to keep me riding on the trainer more than any other training application. My Neo and Zwift has been a game changer for me during the long cold Canadian winter.

The image didn't work. Lets try this:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Stephen_Seiler/publication/310725768_Seiler%27s_Hierarchy_of_Endurance_Training_Needs/links/583590c208ae004f74cc51f5/Seilers-Hierarchy-of-Endurance-Training-Needs.pdf

53x12

by 53x12

apex wrote:Image

This is my first time trying to post an image so I hope this work. This is a picture of Dr. Stephen Seilers hierarchy of needs as it relates to the endurance athlete. The base of the pyramid is built on frequency and volume which is supported by the strongest evidence. I admit that I am mentally weak and need external motivation to keep me coming back. Zwift has been able to keep me riding on the trainer more than any other training application. My Neo and Zwift has been a game changer for me during the long cold Canadian winter.

The image didn't work. Lets try this:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Stephen_Seiler/publication/310725768_Seiler%27s_Hierarchy_of_Endurance_Training_Needs/links/583590c208ae004f74cc51f5/Seilers-Hierarchy-of-Endurance-Training-Needs.pdf

Thanks for posting that image. Here it is embedded.

53x12

by 53x12

Kurets wrote:I can only speak of the workouts I did last winter in Zwift (and I know its constantly updating too). But, to me there seems to be enough variety in workouts for what actually matters. Instead of having the gimmicky workouts with lots of power spikes and jumping around there are good standard ones like 2x20, 2x30 SST, 5x5, 4x4 etc. Which in reality is what makes the most sense.

I have been undecided about Zwift or TrainerRoad myself but have concluded that I have a good enough idea of the sessions I ought to do, plus I can plan in gym if I dont do the five days on the trainer prescribed by trainerroad.
What I picture is doing the SST intervals + 2x20 most of the base period. After that mixing in more 5x5 and shorter. Finally for racing prep doing some 40/20 max intervals. All possible with Zwift, no need for TrainerRoad.

kytyree wrote:I’m just getting started with zwift and the workouts but I did the 2x30 SST workout and that was encouraging enough for me to use it more. Trainerroad may be good too but me doing 90 minutes on a stationary trainer is not the norm but zwift kept me from getting bored and I think it does a good job with the erg control.

There are some good options there to choose from, next I want to learn how to create my own if I want.

Thanks guys. Sounds like the two of you have at least been happy with the Zwift workout section. I might give the Swift a try over TrainerRoad to begin with as Zwift seems to have the basics covered + with ERG mode can offer a lot of other options while pedaling around Watopia.

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

53x12 wrote:Can anyone speak specifically about the kind of workouts Zwift provides and their quality? Would prefer to only use one if I can get away with it. For General riding Zwift seems the way to go. But I want the ability to do specific workouts as well.

Zwift supplies a decent set of workouts. However, you can make your own custom workouts easily with zwifts drag/drop interface.

All workouts are stored in plain text zwo files on your computer. This opens things up. Zwifthacks.com also has an easy zwo workout creation tool.

The zwift workout interface is nice. I still use perpro for serious erg work because I like the customization options (displaying W' for instance).

However, if you are going to have just one training program, I think zwift is a good choice. The races are also a lot of fun!

53x12

by 53x12

whydobearsxplod wrote:
53x12 wrote:Can anyone speak specifically about the kind of workouts Zwift provides and their quality? Would prefer to only use one if I can get away with it. For General riding Zwift seems the way to go. But I want the ability to do specific workouts as well.

Zwift supplies a decent set of workouts. However, you can make your own custom workouts easily with zwifts drag/drop interface.

All workouts are stored in plain text zwo files on your computer. This opens things up. Zwifthacks.com also has an easy zwo workout creation tool.

The zwift workout interface is nice. I still use perpro for serious erg work because I like the customization options (displaying W' for instance).

However, if you are going to have just one training program, I think zwift is a good choice. The races are also a lot of fun!

Does Zwift have the option of helping you target a power goal? Say you want to reach and FTP of xxx watts 2 months away, does it have the ability to modulate your training program to get you there?

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

Nothing like that. Xert has something like that. Who else offers it? Maybe training peaks and strava?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com