Non-Wahoo trainers compatible with the Wahoo Climb

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

I'm in the market for a new direct drive trainer in the next few months and I'm really intrigued by the new Wahoo Climb. It's expensive but something I can get behind. However, I'm likely not to get behind the Kickr 2.0.0.1. That is to say, I used the original kickr a lot (loaner from former boss) and wasn't keen on it.

I understand why Wahoo can't make the Climb compatible with the old Kickr and Kickr2, but are any other trainers possibly able to support the Climb? Essentially it needs the ability to let the bike tilt up and down, possibly via thru-hole axle inserts for QR or similar?

I'm reaching out to a few.

Officially I'm sure Wahoo will say only theirs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moyboy

by moyboy

same, would love to know if it works with a neo.

KCookie

by KCookie

Thats a shame they can't make the older models compatible as i only bought a Kickr 4 weeks ago and would have bought the climber. Might give it to the wife and buy the new model.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

Both Elite and Tacx told me no and that they don't know in the future and didn't design for this in mind. Both reminded me the Climb is not released yet. Not quite helpful, but maybe they'll chase Wahoo and build their own.

The thru-axle "adapters" might provide an opportunity for a bearing or something for regular QR bikes. But I'd have to see them in person to figure it out.

KCookie

by KCookie

If they don't come up with a solution to make the older models compatible then they sure are going to alienate the market. There must be hundreds around the world that might want to buy the climber. Let's wait and see what happens.

Tugboat

by Tugboat

Shane Millar and DC Rainmaker have both talked about the Tacx Neo possibly being compatible. It's all to do with the bike being able to pivot on the rear axle without coming into contact with the structure of the trainer. The Neo will pivot, but no one has tested (and probably won't be able to until the Climb is released to market) the clearances by the sounds of things.
Nice bike... you ever take it off any sweet jumps?
2020 Canyon Speedmax CF | 2018 8bar Mitte | 2016 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX | 2016 Cannondale Synapse Carbon | 2016 Cannondale F-Si Carbon | 2017 Scott Scale (singlespeed)

4151zero

by 4151zero

I've been taking a long look at my 2nd gen KICKR, and it would seem that since my current bike used for that purpose is rim brake, I could possibly get away with a bearing 'sandwich' paired with a thin delrin spacer to keep friction from eating away at my dropouts..

KCookie

by KCookie

Please share if you decide to give it a go. I would be very interested to see what bearings you use and how you got on. Would the skewer need to be longer to accommodate the bearings. ?
Cheers

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

as Tugboat said.. Neo pivots so there is a possibility. Someone will have to do a "hack" though. Wahoo won't do it...atleast not right away because they would rather see ppl by kickrV3
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

madik

by madik

My Neo has no problem to pivot upwards but as a disc bike owner the pivoting downwards is most likely nogo. I have only around 2mm space between rear caliper (for 140mm discs) and the steel cylinder coming out of the Neo.
Functionality > Performance > Weight