Which Smart Trainer? Realise there are plenty of topics on this, but I’m still bemused.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

chipomarc

by chipomarc

liam7020 wrote:
Do you have any interest in getting faster? Training with HR tells you very little about your fitness. A Power Metre is an Essential training tool[/quote]

Not sure that a power meter really is essential. A power metre certainly isn't....![/quote]

I sure is if you are the least bit interested in training

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Take the Tacx Neo or the Wahoo Kickr! Both are really good!

JBeauBikes2

by JBeauBikes2

KB wrote:I'm about to try something different with the help of my LBS. He is going to try some apps. In particular something with NEO that he can attach to my current turdo bike and trainer that can replicate some courses (such as climbs etc) by applying sensors. don't know how it works, but should have a try out on Friday.

I'm not against the Wahoo, but if I'm spending £1k I want to be sure i'll like it. My present turbo works very well in recording data from my Garmin 800, but after an hour on the turbo it gets very boring, so i would like a bit more.

The Kickr does the exact same thing as the Neo, but for $400 more you just get vibration for cobbles and you can also use get resistance from the trainer without being plugged into the wall.

If you're looking to get faster, I really recommend at least a Kickr. When it comes to indoor training, my opinion is that convenience and organization are key for maintaining motivation and getting a quality workout in a timely fashion.. Having a bike dedicated to sitting on the trainer ready to go as well as having a direct drive trainer with a power meter and an app such as Zwift, TrainerRoad, or Sufferfest (included in TrainerRoad as well).

Right now, a lot of people are making winter "pain caves" where they'll have a tripod stand for a tv with their trainer set up in front of it with a fan where they can ride Zwift on the big tv. Definitely makes the time pass by.

ms6073

by ms6073

TonyM wrote:Take the Tacx Neo or the Wahoo Kickr! Both are really good!

While I have not experience with Wahoo trainers, based on support questions regarding the companies ANT+ RPM speed and cadence sensors, I think most would say Wahoo has a more responsive support mechanism. As a Tacx owner, IMO, the Neo edges out the Kickr in terms of ease of mounting the bike on the trainer as well as much quieter sound levels when training. If not for the fact that we use 2 loud floor fans while training, one would be hard pressed to tell someone was riding a trainer in the house as the Neo produces less ambient noise than if I were riding outdoors on a smooth road.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

KCookie

by KCookie

I bought the Wahoo Kickr about two weeks ago and I can't keep off it, I'm addicted. I'm loving Zwift, it's amazing. The weather here is absolutely crap and if it wasn't for the Kickr I would be sitting looking out the window waiting for better weather.
Very easy to mount the bike and link to Zwift via my lap top to big a screen. To be honest I haven't even noticed any noise from the Kickr, with the volume up on the TV and so fixed on what's going on I'm oblivious to the surroundings.
It's defiantly upped my motivation ten fold.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

KB wrote: although I couldn’t live with the Lemond unit which is incredibly noisy.

Pity, as that still has the best 'road feel' and inertia of any of the market. And I've tried quite a few.

Of the rest, I have a Kickr. It's terrific. Quieter than LeMond and easy enough to use. My mate's channel has a pile on reviews and comparisons on trainers. Shane and I have been in to ergos since forever, so he knows his stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbcwZ8 ... on_S_CgmFA

KB

by KB

Tinea Pedis wrote:
KB wrote: although I couldn’t live with the Lemond unit which is incredibly noisy.

Pity, as that still has the best 'road feel' and inertia of any of the market.

Yes, definitely agree with that statement. They have one in my LBS and it's the most 'real world' feel of that type of trainer and that's the thing for me, road feel is the main thing i'm looking for. The training courses and power etc are secondary. I've wasted about £1k on trainers over the years that didn't work to my expectations. Presently have an old Elite trainer which works absolutely fine, though it's limited to riding on the flat, i.e., you can't do a real world climb that replicates gradients etc that the power units provide. When I want to go faster I change gear as opposed to a unit that does it.

I've tried the Wahoo Kickr, but felt the Lemond replicated the road feel that much better. I've also been reading DCRainmakers stuff as well. Thanks for the link.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Welcome.

Even if the LeMond wasn't what I use for all my TT warm ups, I would still never sell the unit. None of the smart trainers myself (or Shane) have used are yet to match the road feel.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Tinea Pedis wrote:Welcome.

Even if the LeMond wasn't what I use for all my TT warm ups, I would still never sell the unit. None of the smart trainers myself (or Shane) have used are yet to match the road feel.
Seconded, loud but stable and a nice consistent feel :)
Using Tapatalk

jlaitinen

by jlaitinen

What about the new Elite Direto? dcrainmaker had really positive first impressions on it? I will be picking up it later today and can give some impressions tomorrow.

KB

by KB

Look forward to your view on the Direto. Read DCR. His reviews are very detailed, but he doesn't much go into ride feel. I think Tinea's mate is better on that front.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

jlaitinen wrote:What about the new Elite Direto? dcrainmaker had really positive first impressions on it? I will be picking up it later today and can give some impressions tomorrow.

You know, I think the Driveo(?) and Direto both look great, but I'm a uncomfortable with Elite. I enjoy my Real E-Motion B+ Rollers from Elite (which were in the same general price category), but the software support is horrible and technical/customer support is basically non-existent. So.... if I could be convinced that Elite had any sort of reasonable support staff, the Direto would be on my shopping list. As it stands, I think I'm primarily looking at a Tacx Neo or Flux for the coming winter season.

Rubik

by Rubik

jlaitinen wrote:What about the new Elite Direto? dcrainmaker had really positive first impressions on it? I will be picking up it later today and can give some impressions tomorrow.

That's what I'm eyeing to buy in another couple of months. Thought they were only on pre-order now, though?

53x12

by 53x12

I have been looking at the CycleOps The Hammer. Anyone have experience with it? DCRain seemed to think highly of it.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlaitinen

by jlaitinen

After a couple of sessions with direto in zwift gotta say that I am really impressed. Had a Tacx Vortex before so the change has been monumental. I think that there is a slight delay between zwift and the trainer but other than that it has been totally perfect.