Which Smart Trainer? Realise there are plenty of topics on this, but I’m still bemused.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

KB

by KB

I have an old Elite Super Crono Power Mag with a handlebar mount to create resistance; I don’t use the resistance unit. I slot the back wheel into the unit and sitting on the saddle pushes it down on the roller. So, no messing around with knobs etc like on some I’ve tried to create resistance against the tyre. I have a Garmin 800 that I use with a Mio Link wrist monitor to pick up HR, speed, distance, time.

Now I like this Elite trainer because it does, in my opinion, re-create road conditions quite faithfully, i.e., when I change gear it replicates what a bike does on the open road and creates a resistance, so you go faster or slower. Most of the others I have tried worked on the basis that the harder you pedalled, in the same gear, created resistance and it got harder, which to me is not real world.

What interests me, in an ideal world, would be able to use my Elite as it is at present, but to have the ability to use ‘courses’ on it that replicates rides and climbs. My assumption is that this is not doable with my present setup.

So, now I start to look at smart trainers. Had a go on a pal’s Wahoo Kickr, but was unconvinced. It just seemed to pedal too easily for the given gear. Power doesn’t really interest me as I don’t have any at my age (quickly approaching 65).

Consequently, I’m looking for something that replicates the ride feel of the Elite turbo I have together with courses that can relieve the tedium of staring into the garden. Or I can use the trainer as if it’s just riding the same as my Elite? Also, I’m not that interested in ‘competing’ online with others.

Noise is not so much an issue as I have a room in my garage with a power supply although I couldn’t live with the Lemond unit which is incredibly noisy.
I’m certainly no tech head so would appreciate readers’ comments. I don't mind shelling out money for something that works for me.

silvalis

by silvalis

Not sure what mode that kickr was in, but the kickr can do whatever you want. Hard. Easy. Nothing to do with the gear the bike is in.
You can put all smart trainers in ERG mode which will let you hit a power target regardless what gear it's in.

Just figure this out
1) If you don't want to mess with adjustment knobs, buy a wheel off trainer (eg, a kickr)
2) how much you want to spend
3) Maximum gradient simulation. You want it to simulate a 15% climb? there are trainers that can do that.
4) Might want to think about budgeting for one of the training apps, or just learn how to use the provided ones.

If you feel that messing around with a training app is too hard basket, then you should probably skip the whole smart trainer idea.
Chasse patate

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

I'm thinking maybe another ride on the Kickr. ERG mode doesn't suit me. The whole power thing doesn't interest me.

Simulating climbs: yes. Would love to do climbs such as the Ventoux to see if it's doable in real life on the road. Same with some other climbs.

AJS914

by AJS914

What software are you going to use for virtual riding? Some software like Zwift supports non-smart trainers that they have power curves for. You use an ant+ speed sensor and since Zwift knows the power curve, they can estimate power. With this kind of setup, the software won't change the resistance for you on the fly.

KB

by KB

AJS914 wrote:What software are you going to use for virtual riding?

I'm going to see the owner of my local LBS tomorrow to see what software to use.

glepore

by glepore

I can highly recommend veloreality, the software is free and the videos are excellent.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

KB wrote:I'm thinking maybe another ride on the Kickr. ERG mode doesn't suit me. The whole power thing doesn't interest me.

Simulating climbs: yes. Would love to do climbs such as the Ventoux to see if it's doable in real life on the road. Same with some other climbs.

Do you have any interest in getting faster? Training with HR tells you very little about your fitness. A Power Metre is an Essential training tool

kytyree

by kytyree

Maybe try the KICKR in resistance mode and see what you think. You set the resistance to 20, 25 30% etc vice using power, the mode can be selected and controlled from the app for the KICKR.

I like it when I don't feel like using ERG mode.

KB

by KB

I'm about to try something different with the help of my LBS. He is going to try some apps. In particular something with NEO that he can attach to my current turdo bike and trainer that can replicate some courses (such as climbs etc) by applying sensors. don't know how it works, but should have a try out on Friday.

I'm not against the Wahoo, but if I'm spending £1k I want to be sure i'll like it. My present turbo works very well in recording data from my Garmin 800, but after an hour on the turbo it gets very boring, so i would like a bit more.

KB

by KB

waltthizzney wrote:Do you have any interest in getting faster? Training with HR tells you very little about your fitness. A Power Metre is an Essential training tool

not really. i'm too old to worry about power and i'm not serious about comparing myself to others.

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

KB wrote:
waltthizzney wrote:Do you have any interest in getting faster? Training with HR tells you very little about your fitness. A Power Metre is an Essential training tool

not really. i'm too old to worry about power and i'm not serious about comparing myself to others.

I am just saying, it is great to measure effort, age doesn't matter. its the best piece of gear you can own. It can also tell you a lot about your health and form

ms6073

by ms6073

KB wrote:Had a go on a pal’s Wahoo Kickr, but was unconvinced. It just seemed to pedal too easily for the given gear.

I have been using Tacx trainers for years, starting out with the Tacx Fortius, one of the first rear-wheel drive computer controlled trainers, followed by the legacy Bushido, Genius, and am no using the Tacx Neo. While this trainer originally had some teething problems, I have not had any issues and while I am using it via ANT+ with Tacx Trainer Software 4, there are a number of options that can leverage free apps via Bluetooth on mobile devices such as iPads and Android Tablets.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

KB wrote:...but after an hour on the turbo it gets very boring, so i would like a bit more.

Answer: rollers.

Longer answer: Kreitlers with a 'killer head wind", or Elite real e-motion with ERG. You'll get the workout, and your attention will remain focused.

liam7020

by liam7020

[/quote] Do you have any interest in getting faster? Training with HR tells you very little about your fitness. A Power Metre is an Essential training tool[/quote]

Not sure that a power meter really is essential. A power metre certainly isn't....!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I have the TACX Neo. It's expensive, but I haven't regretted getting it. Easy to use with Zwift, TACX software and TACX films.
I also haven't bought into the social media thing, and I just use the training routines or TACX films.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com