Swimming as cross training

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

robertbb

by robertbb

Hi All,

Long time WW member/reader, only recently started being more active :beerchug:

Wondering if anyone else here swims as a part of their training, and if perhaps they may want to share their routines and any tips?

I swim 3 days a week, and ride 3-4 days. Split looks like this:

Mon: 6am swim.
Tues: Structured indoor trainer ride (kinetic.fit)
Wed: 6am Swim.
Thurs: Structured indoor trainer ride (kinetic.fit)
Fri: 6am Swim.
Sat: Big outdoor ride...
Sun: Recovery spin...

I swim freestyle only in a 25m indoor pool that happens to be extra-warm as it's used for baby/toddler lessons in the evenings and weekends. It's around 5 degrees in the mornings at the moment here in Melbourne, and this water feels hot-tub esque. I swim around 1.5k - 2k per session. I don't do any specific stretching/yoga, but have found that since starting this routine (close to a year now) I've not only dropped a bit of niggle bodyfat (178cm, 70kg... about 9-10% body fat) but have become more and more flexible - I've been able to drop my stem significantly. I use a swimming snorkel (one of the ones that goes up the front of your face) and neoprene gloves to help me catch more water with each stroke... I feel this actually helps to train both my lungs (as I can essentially sprint without having to turn to breathe adequately) and my mind as my body learns to cope with lactate pain better...

Anyone else here doing similar?

Cheers!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com