question about pacing

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

addictR1

by addictR1

usually when i ride.. i noticed sometimes i get too excited and felt really good and i gun it.. but later suffers during the ride. so i've hear about pacing, but not sure if i have the right understanding.

my FTP is at 193 and usually on my 810, i set a 3 sec avg and a % of FTP. i try to keep it under my FTP, but i don't the same as pacing, is it?

thanks~

Kurets

by Kurets

Pacing is maintaining any controlled effort level, so what you do is kind of fitting that label. But, be aware that FTP means the maximum power level you can sustain over the course of approximately one hour. Therefore, a good pacing strategy for long rides is less than 70% of FTP.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

addictR1

by addictR1

Kurets wrote:Pacing is maintaining any controlled effort level, so what you do is kind of fitting that label. But, be aware that FTP means the maximum power level you can sustain over the course of approximately one hour. Therefore, a good pacing strategy for long rides is less than 70% of FTP.

thanks~! i'll try that on tomorrow's ride...

PinaF8

by PinaF8

Read up and train using sweet spot training. This is what I do when I am indoor training. Overall this could help with your pacing strategy.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

Jepas

by Jepas

Quadrant analysis is a very usefull tool from Trainning Peaks (WKO) to find your actual level on this matter.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Look up "power duration curve" or "mean maximal power" curve

n3bur

by n3bur

addictR1, if I may chime in on your topic, I'm doing the Maratona in the Dolomites (Italy) next month. Any advice on ftp percentages at which I should do the long climbs? Did the Marmotte last year and didn't make it in time because the Galibier killed me :lol:

Kurets wrote:Therefore, a good pacing strategy for long rides is less than 70% of FTP.

I'm afraid climbing at 70% I will barely be moving at all :oops:

addictR1

by addictR1

n3bur: i live in the US.. i wish i could ride there too! last weekend i tried Kurets's suggestion at 70% FTP, which worked wonders. plus i had enough legs to sprint to catch the draft when needed. but my route last weekend was pretty flat.. so not sure how it'll work on climbs.

will be riding in the "America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride - Lake Tahoe" this weekend.. so not much climbing there either, but will be a scenic ride for sure.

RyanH

by RyanH

Kulivontont's suggestion is the best for determining pacing on long climbs.

Doing repeated efforts though is a little more challenging and requires some experience and familiarity with how well you can recover from effort to effort.

Less than 70% of ftp would be a good average for long rides, but for long climbs is on the very conservative side. That's what I'd consider all day pace, something that I could ride at for four hours or more.

Last fall we did one of the longest climbs in the United States (39 to the 2, 21 miles long) and pacing for that was 4w/kg for 1.5 hours which was probably a little over 90% of ftp. After the main climb, there were a series of rollers on our 30 mile trek back down the mountain, most of which were done at >80% of ftp. So, it's possible to hit a much higher percentage of ftp for long climbs, which the methodologies mentioned by Kulivontont will help with.

n3bur

by n3bur

Thanks for the replys. Did a test today and the 70 or 80 % will not work for me. I'm just too weak :oops: With my current ftp of 206 and 75kg, I can't do a 10% grade without going over 100%ftp. Largest cassette cog is 32T so I guess I can't go any larger. I'll be allright for the Maratona except for one small obstacle, the Giau: 10km @ 10% :unbelievable:

@addictR1 how was the Lake Tahoe ride?

Kurets

by Kurets

The 70-80% suggestion is more relevant for flat or rolling terrain where you have a choice of pace. With such a low FTP of <3W/kg, any 10% gradient climb will force you to do it at maximal effort. There is not much you can do about it, except making sure to not over exert yourself on the parts where you can avoid killing yourself.

addictR1

by addictR1

N3bur: my Lake Tahoe ride was awesome. Had good pace and kept at around 70~75% FTP on flats.. On climbs easily over 115%+.. But I was riding my 14# addictr1 with C24 tubs so it didn't feel too bad. Worst part was later on when I had altitude sickness and could barely catch a breathe through climbs.. Then it was difficult but pushed through.

It's definitely tough to keep 70% on climbs without going over my FTP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hillsaretheenemy

by Hillsaretheenemy

I would suggest you try keeping IF in mind. In effect it becomes an average % of your FTP so while you may need !00% or more on some sections if you keep the overall around 70-80 IF you should still complete a longer ride reasonably ok.

addictR1

by addictR1

Hillsaretheenemy: sorry for the silly question but what's IF? also, when climbing.. should i set a certain wattage to target for and maintain in my climb (assuming it's a climb i'm familiar with) to improve time on?

53x12

by 53x12

addictR1 wrote:Hillsaretheenemy: sorry for the silly question but what's IF? also, when climbing.. should i set a certain wattage to target for and maintain in my climb (assuming it's a climb i'm familiar with) to improve time on?

IF = intensity factor. IF is the ratio of normalized power to your FTP.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com