Wahoo KICKR2 chainstay incompatibility (Canyon frames)

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Canyon Ultimate CF SL

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 2016

Notice the trainer is touching the chainstay in the 2nd photo. If I were to clamp down the QR, it would most likely damage the frame.

For reference, this is not an issue on the original 2013 KICKR, because on that trainer the 130mm/135mm adapter sticks out of the steel frame of the trainer. On the 2016 KICKR, the same 130mm/135mm adapter sits flush with the steel frame.

I'm curious if the latest Ultimate CF SLX frame is out of spec with regards to hub and dropout clearance, or if the KICKR is out of spec.

I've sent an email to Wahoo to get their feedback. In the meantime, if you own this combination of frame and trainer, beware.

kode54

by kode54

i thought the KICKR 2 had reversible axle caps to accommodate different widths. possible to put a spacer in there to keep it from touching the chain stay?
- AX Lightness Vial EVO D + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 carbon hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 carbon hubs
- Parlee ESX + DA9150 + THM SRM PM + Enve SES 6.7 CK hubs
- Guru Praemio R Titanium + DA9150 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs

by Weenie

kkibbler

by kkibbler

The reversible axle cap switches between 130mm and 135mm OLD. 130mm is whats on there now and 135mm is too wide. I've ordered some spacers to try to get that to about 132-133mm OLD, which should work with my dropouts without frame contact.

Calnago

by Calnago

To me, it looks like the dropout face isn't perfectly square.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kkibbler

by kkibbler

It's square, but the flat area is small before the contour of the stays begin. The flat area is roughly 20mm in diameter. This is true of the outer face of the dropouts as well. Large diameter skewer bushings and nuts would foul the frame.

Which is why I'm curious about the "standard" of road hubs, if there is such a thng. Surely there must be some standardized "keep out" areas between components to prevent fouling.

Interestingly, I can't find any photos online of this exact frame and trainer combination. Wahoo sponsors the Canyon/SRAM women with SNAPs instead of KICKRs.

kode54

by kode54

is the reversible spacer on both sides? if so, can you just flip the one on the side you're having issues with?
- AX Lightness Vial EVO D + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 carbon hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 carbon hubs
- Parlee ESX + DA9150 + THM SRM PM + Enve SES 6.7 CK hubs
- Guru Praemio R Titanium + DA9150 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs

mattr

by mattr

kkibbler wrote:Which is why I'm curious about the "standard" of road hubs, if there is such a thng. Surely there must be some standardized "keep out" areas between components to prevent fouling.
Nope. I've had a front hub and fork that did the same, the flat around the axle slot wasn't big enough for the end cap of the hub.

And MTB hubs/suspension forks quite often used to have issues. Spoke flanges touching the fork leg etc

mattr

by mattr

TBH, it might just be a case of grinding a mm of material off the end of the trainer (once wahoo give the all clear)

jekyll man

by jekyll man

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=143974&hilit=canyon+warranty

When they wont warranty it against turbo use, it doesn't matter what you do...
Official cafe stop tester

Calnago

by Calnago

kkibbler wrote:Canyon Ultimate CF SL

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 2016

I certainly see where the kicker is touching the chainstay, but still... the actual face of the dropout where it should be in contact with the kicker does not look at all square to me. In the second picture, look at the gap at the back, then look at the front. At the front you can see two points of contact (or at least very very close)... the chainstay, which it clearly should not be touching under any circumstances, and the front face of the dropout where it is barely touching the kicker as well. If it was square, the rear of the dropout contact face should be making contact at the same time, unless the whole bike is sitting askew to the right, which would then make more sense. Are you sure the whole bike isn't angled to the right, creating an issue that isn't even there if it was straight? I know it sounds a bit like asking "Is the toaster plugged in?" when someone says the toaster isn't working, but sometimes the simplest things get overlooked. So, unless that's just an angled ridge sitting above the face of the actual dropout which would then be hidden, then that dropout does not look square. Even if you were to grind away the bit of the kickr that is touching the chainstay, I wouldn't be clamping a carbon dropout in there that isn't perfectly square.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Calnago wrote:So, unless that's just an angled ridge sitting above the face of the actual dropout which would then be hidden

That's exactly what it is, but it's tough to photograph. This is a bottom view with a wheel clamped in. The "ridge" is visible to the right of the dropout, running "behind" the hub endcap in the photo. There's a parallel "ridge" running above the outside face of the dropout that as mentioned would foul against a large diameter QR bushing.

Dropout faces are yellow. "Ridges" are red.

From directly behind.

ruen

by ruen

Did you find a solution? I also have an ultimate cf slx and think about buying a kickr 16.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

ruen wrote:Did you find a solution? I also have an ultimate cf slx and think about buying a kickr 16.

As a matter of fact I did. 2.5mm of 19x25mm shims behind the 130/135mm adapter. The rear dropouts are about 133mm apart without a wheel/skewer installed. Shims were from eBay.

ruen

by ruen

Thanks man. Used something similar and it works fine. Only problem I have is grinding gears.

by Weenie

zedkelvartis

by zedkelvartis

kkibbler wrote:
ruen wrote:Did you find a solution? I also have an ultimate cf slx and think about buying a kickr 16.

As a matter of fact I did. 2.5mm of 19x25mm shims behind the 130/135mm adapter. The rear dropouts are about 133mm apart without a wheel/skewer installed. Shims were from eBay.

Thanks for all your info. Went ahead and orderd a Kickr for my Canyon Ultimate based on this post! Can you please provide a link for these shims? Having a hard time sourcing them. Thanks.