Help me choose my next trainer under $800

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

roca rule

by roca rule

I just ordered the drivo
Because of the reliability issues I've read about (flux) and the fact that for about $200 more(compared to the flux) I think the drivo is a much better deal. Now hopefully the it doesn't take too long to get to me. I think that at least on paper the drivo is the better deal.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kurets

by Kurets

Caring about gradient simulation is dumb, for a direct drive trainer its likely that the slippage between tyre and roller limits maximum gradient rather than the unit itself. Plus, gradient means nothing in terms of training, you can put the trainer in a tall gear, put a phone book (do they still exist?) under the front wheen and voila! You have yourself a climbing simulator.

I'd have gone for the Flux any day of the week.

roca rule

by roca rule

I know It's kind of dumb, since you're on a trainer indoors anyway, but what push me towards the drivo instead of the flux was this:
http://www.titaniumgeek.com/cycling/zwi ... #more-6504
Plus I've been reading forums and reviews on tacx products and it seems that reliability it's not its thing.
On top of that the planned cadence analysis seems like a great idea on a high accuracy device like this one.

Last edited by roca rule on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJS914

by AJS914

How is Elite's warranty service in the US? I went with the Tacx Vortex because it was cheap but I felt that there was a big warranty risk buying it from a German web shop on the cheap. If I had bought an expensive trainer, I think I would have bought a Kickr since it's a US company.

One thing that bugs me about "smart" trainers is the question of whether they will still work 10+ years from now. I have a Minora Mag trainer that still works great 30 years later. My Tacx trainer requires an app to control it. Will this trainer be supported 10 years from now? A Smart trainer is also a piece of consumer electronics. Not many pieces of consumer electronics last 10 years.

roca rule

by roca rule

The German shop I bought it from had a 100 day return policy. Even if I pay for shipping back I think it's a nice warranty.

glepore

by glepore

My computrainer is more than 15 years old. No reason to believe that these newer trainers won't last as long.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

jeffy

by jeffy

AFAIK the Drivo is the only 'smart' direct-drive / wheel off trainer that doesn't need roll down / calibration.
Together with apparent high accuracy, i think it is a winner.