Cheaper alternatives to Wahoo Desk

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jfranci3

by jfranci3

So the requirments are open base, tall enough to reach bars, and enough space to hold PC and bottles?
A commercial restaurant stainless table should fill the need http://amzn.to/2E8IMdH
A work shop stand would be good too http://amzn.to/2BoKHb0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tomee

by tomee

ok so i tried and found no proper competitor to the wahoo desk so thought why not make my own.

My brother in law had all the bits needed to make one and all i needed to buy was the adjustable legs.

Originally i was going to use a wood table and then use a router to make some channels where the electronic devices sit in. Instead my brother in law had aluminium rails he wasn't using so we decided to use that instead.
ImageIMG_20180126_181406 by Tom, on Flickr

cut the rails to each edge of the table would have one
ImageIMG_20180126_184127 by Tom, on Flickr

Like the wahoo desk it had holes cut out so you could fit cables or ANT+ dongle through it so i did the same to the rails
ImageIMG_20180126_190911 by Tom, on Flickr

filed down the edges so cables couldnt get cut on it
ImageIMG_20180126_191819 by Tom, on Flickr

drilled holes and counter sunk screws to attach to table
ImageIMG_20180126_185000 by Tom, on Flickr

tabletop done
ImageIMG_20180126_193031 by Tom, on Flickr

attached adjustable legs. 70cm-1m
ImageIMG_20180127_150727 by Tom, on Flickr

i put foam strips in the rails so that the tablets could sit snug without being accidentally knocked out
ImageIMG_20180127_152300 by Tom, on Flickr

iPod with ANT+ dongle
ImageIMG_20180127_153045 by Tom, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20180127_153057 by Tom, on Flickr

rail at the rear can also hide away cables
ImageIMG_20180127_153142 by Tom, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20180127_153242 by Tom, on Flickr

finished
ImageIMG_20180127_153407 by Tom, on Flickr
Last edited by tomee on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManekiNico

by ManekiNico

tomee wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:32 am
ok so i … thought why not make my own.
:no1: Well played, Sir!
Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.
Dad: Yeah... well... now his body’s fine, but his mind is gone.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

How do you like those bone headphones? Are they good for environments with a lot of background noise? How tolerant are they of moving around and sweat (running )

tomee

by tomee

jfranci3 wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:40 pm
How do you like those bone headphones? Are they good for environments with a lot of background noise? How tolerant are they of moving around and sweat (running )
mine was the gen 1 i think. The newer ones are better i have heard.
i've only used them on the bike and they dont move around unless i adjust them. seems to cope with sweat and i always give them a flick and wipe down at the end.

they dont go as loud as an in ear one but they are good enough for me, on full volume i can still slightly hear my drivetrain

rgarofalo

by rgarofalo

+1 on a music stand

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rainerhq

by rainerhq

+1 DIY table. I like this kind of thinking.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

Sinuit

by Sinuit

Very creative work,tomee!I appreciated it :D
I created my standing desk a few years ago and with a few modifications here and there, it's become something of a sustainable life improvement.

It doesn't take much to find a few online articles on the benefits of a standing desk so if the idea interests you, have at it!

I have concrete blocks under the table legs of a sturdy table to create my standing desk. Two blocks stacked on top of each other under each leg gives me a chance to shift positions and put a foot up here or there on the front blocks and shift positions and stretch etc to keep limber. I think this is where the standing desks for sale come short. There is nowhere to elevate your feet. You need a chance to put your foot up on the block once in a while. To increase monitor height, I use empty and sturdy liquor boxes this is used by manufacturers such as Vivo,Elite PRo https://www.smarthomedesk.com/best-alte ... -varidesk/ I picked-up for free from the local liquor store. I'm 6'1" and ergonomically I feel it could not be a better fit. I currently have three old and cheap monitors connected to my desktop computer (sits on the floor under the table) that make for a very effective workstation.

Again, the standing desk is about getting on your feet and shifting your body positions from time to time. (Then going to the kitchen to get a snack while not having to get up from a seat. It's very convenient!
There are many interesting videos on YouTube, I'll leave one of them here, I hope someone will help in the future.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Would this be a good option? https://amzn.to/2CnK7OL

robertbb

by robertbb

I ordered a Wahoo desk, and on arrival found the legs didn't aligh properly (preventing it from being able to be adjusted properly), the rubber matting was already bubbling and the towl loop is (stupidly) at the back of the table when it should be at the front. Promptly returned it for a refund. Wahoo Aus were a pain in the ass to deal with, but finally got reimbursed.

Then bought this thing for AU$39 and it's perfect:

http://www.dshop.com.au/buy/adjustable- ... HsQAvD_BwE

jfranci3

by jfranci3

jfranci3 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:28 pm
Would this be a good option? https://amzn.to/2CnK7OL
Got this, haven't used it, it has splattery welds, but looks perfect otherwise. Only things it is missing is a pivot away tray. The base allows you to put it where you want +/- a few inches.

xDOMx

by xDOMx

May sound a bridge too far, but resumed an old, plastic bar stool from Ikea that was cheap. If you screw the seat part backwards, it hovers just above the front wheel pretty well.

reknop

by reknop

Good one... Let's hope it will be back in stock soon. :-)

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Image a good copy of the Wahoo table! ImageImage