Best way to do a MAP (step) test with a Kickr

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TwincamRob

by TwincamRob

What is the purpose of this test? Why not just do an ftp test?

I too watch Cycle Maven's vids ;)

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

u just answered your own question.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

sanrensho wrote:
Nefarious86 wrote:
Alternative method is 200w start point and 20w step every 1 minute. 72-5% of peak 1 minute power for ftp. This method works well for me and i use 73% as my number.

How did you arrive at 73% instead of say 72% or 75% (Alex Coggan)? Thanks.

Trial and error. 72 feels low and 74-5 feels like I'm really struggling to finish bigger intervals. Its not perfect, everything bar a 1 hour time trial really is just an educated guess but it works for me and many others. I perfer to aim 1-2% lower on my ftp (usually round down to the nearest 5w) and finish every workout than blow up constantly when doing threshold work.
Using Tapatalk

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Nefarious86 wrote:Trial and error. 72 feels low and 74-5 feels like I'm really struggling to finish bigger intervals. Its not perfect, everything bar a 1 hour time trial really is just an educated guess but it works for me and many others. I perfer to aim 1-2% lower on my ftp (usually round down to the nearest 5w) and finish every workout than blow up constantly when doing threshold work.

Thanks. I'm going to try this, as I tend to struggle with longer intervals on a fixed bike (not so much outside).

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

You do need to use an electronic trainer for this type of test is its main limiting factor for this test.
Using Tapatalk

dynaserve

by dynaserve

Tinea Pedis wrote:Is there another program that'll allow you to put in the time and watts to increase each step?

Nefarious86 wrote: Just offering acess to my stuff to Nick as I trust he wont abuse it :)

afalts wrote: The question was what program (that you don't have to pay a monthly fee for) can you use to automatically control a Kickr when doing a MAP test.

I'm also very interested in this and would be appreciative if it was available - I'd also pay like a nominal fee. So Nefarious86 and others : Does a 'free' program exist and if so please (why not?) share with the community (I guess in like the Golden Cheetah way). :beerchug:

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

No free, automated program that I know of. Once Garmin and Wahoo pull their finger out and enable trainer control it will be as easy as programing it into Garmin Connect and dumping the workout file onto your prefered device.
Using Tapatalk

AlphaDogCycling

by AlphaDogCycling

Golden Cheetah can control the Kickr and it's freeware. Problem solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boysa

by boysa

Yes, but I can't upload the FEC firmware update to the Kickr. Anyone else have problems with this? Each time I select any of the beta firmware choices, it tells me there has been an error.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

dynaserve

by dynaserve

OK, interesting thx, will try the GC route.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

AlphaDogCycling wrote:Golden Cheetah can control the Kickr and it's freeware. Problem solved

Only it doesn't work with mine either. Hence being at the point we were previously.

boysa

by boysa

@ TP... Are you having trouble with GC or is it the same as me, even getting the firmware to the Kickr?
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I have the Beta firmware in mine that I have used with PerfPro. Will investigate later today.
Using Tapatalk