Killing the Cravings

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

prebsy

by prebsy

I'm hoping to compile a list of healthy snacks people use to satiate the sometimes maddening food cravings us cyclists have.

sugar -> apple
salt & fat -> salted almonds

jamesbass

by jamesbass

Banana smoothies. Add green and flax seeds as shown in this video for thickening: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-dow ... smoothies/

Even slowly sipped, though, an all fruit smoothie may not be as filling as whole fruit; so, the more greens you can add to your smoothie the better, and you can add ground flax seeds. The thicker the smoothie, the less hungry you may be one, two—even four hours later, and flax seeds make for thick milkshakey-type smoothies. One tablespoon of flaxseeds was found to significantly suppress appetite and calorie intake. Less hunger, more satiety, more filling, less prospective food intake, meaning you give someone a meal two hours after the tablespoon of flax and they eat significantly less. All the while dropping their cholesterol like a rock. This is just one week after about a tablespoon a day.

If you've got ANY kind of cravings though, it's usually a sign that you're not eating enough. Cram in the fruit smoothies and you'll get full pretty quick.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Prebsy, what are you trying to accomplish here? Simply being "healthier" or weight loss? If the former, then salted almonds would be great, but if the latter, then you would want to strictly regulate portions as nuts are fairly calorically dense. In particular, you would want to avoid nut butters, as they make it even easier to overeat nuts.

Your snack suggestions seem like sound ones, but as you continue to build the list make sure to pick slow to digest, low glycemic index/load foods as many people with poor blood glucose management will find that they get the classic spike and crash from fast digesting carby foods, which leaves them hungry again in short order. That is why jamesbass' recomendation of the additions to the smoothy are so key, because as soon as you through your fruit (be it his bananas or your apple) in the blender you dramatically increase the digestibility, so you need to slow it back down with additional ingredients. Those additional ingredients must be low in calories, or you end up canceling out any benefit so his suggestion of greens or tablespoon of seeds is a good one.

Additionally, many people seem to misinterpret other feelings as hunger.

For instance, you could be mildly thirsty, but interpret that as hunger. To test, try a tall glass of water, or large cup (or 2) of tea. Wait 15-20min. Then see if you still feel the craving.

If you like the sensation of feeling full, but seem to be adequately hydrated, then you could try drinking a cup of the liquid of your choice with one of fiber supplements such as psyllium husk, chia seeds, flax seeds (as long as you are not trying to minimize xenoestrogen intake), etc...which will slow gastric emptying and provide a longer lasting sensation of fullness.

Many people eat to provide some stimulation to increase alertness or ward off boredom. In contrast, you may have had the experience of doing something exciting and engrossing which captured your attention for hours, and all of a sudden you realize you missed a meal an didn't even feel a hunger pang. It may be easier said than done with work, school, etc...but if we are talking about cravings during leisure time, see if you can increase stimulation from other sources so food based stimulation becomes less important. Many people choose stimulants such as caffeine for this same purpose, however if you can change your environment/activity instead that is obviously preferable.

drchull

by drchull

I have tried to follow a diet more like weight class athletes. Have been adding some of the Mike Dolce stuff. I have been doing a lot with hemp and chia seeds.

For breakfast I have been doing the Ronda Rousey porridge:
3 tsp hemp, oats and chia seeds (RR does 2 but I am twice her size)
1tsp nut butter and I add about 1/2 tsp maple syrup.
Add hot water and a little fresh fruit after thickens.

I had been eating a large brand healthy/organic type brand cereal daily but when I looked closely at the label I realized that though it had protein and fibre in it it also had as much sugar as fruit loops. Since making this change I have lost about 10 lb (20 would be better).

Chia pudding is a great snack. Simply make a batch of chia seeds mixed with almond or coconut milk and I again usually sweeten a little with maple syrup and vanilla as well as some unsweetened shredded coconut. Can stay in fridge in batches for several days. Served over berries or grapes is a great snack or alternative dessert.

I even saw a chocolate mousse recipe online made from chia. Great stuff, expands 10 fold in fluid so really maintains fullness, lots of iron, fibre and protein.

I tend to keep things very low in carbs except before, during and immediately after rides. If I am riding first thing in the morning I will usually add a banana and a glass of something like 1:1 Juice/coconut water. If it is later in the day I try to get a high carb snack three hours before riding and again 30-45' before riding. I eat frequently on the bike and usually will have something like a banana based protein shake when get off. Otherwise I stick to my usual diet around training.

I stopped eating after the evening meal a while ago and don't get cravings unless have had a recent big training load. I tend to stick with water, herbal teas and the occasional beer in the evening. If I do feel a big calorie deficit I only eat fruit or uncooked vegetables in the evenings (that one was a Tom Boonen trick to getting lean).

I have actually found that my stomach has shrunk somewhat. I can't eat really large meals like I used to. If I could only get my work life straightened out and be as disciplined with all the crappy snacks that get left around there I would be leaner than I was in my 20s. If someone leaves a tray of cookies out I can't help myself grabbing one every time I walk by.

aerodynamiq

by aerodynamiq

Restricting carbohydrates will reduce sugar-cravings down to zero.
velonode.cc

prebsy

by prebsy

Agreed. I've actually reduced carbs significantly since my original post, not to say I'm "low carb" but far away from the old "pound of pasta / pounding pasta" methodology. I basically don't have refined sugar cravings anymore, it's pretty awesome.

DrewPowell

by DrewPowell

According to my own experience, to get rid of sugar addiction is simply too difficult, then quit once, what would addictive again.The reason we love sugar is from gene,too difficult to kill the craving.So I use fruit instead of sweeteners,reduce the adverse effects of sugar. Even carbohydrate is a sugar, it causes elevated insulin. Therefore, the staple food should eat less, more Low glycemic diet.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I've cut sugar substantially. Just drink water for example, except when I take a protein recovery shake. I use organic non-fat milk.

It was very difficult at first, but I've been doing intermediate fasting for a while now. I don't eat anything until at least noon, and then sometimes I wait until 2pm. (pretty damn hungry right about now) Then I eat an apple and a handful of almonds. Then a larger healthy meal afterwards. Try to have the last meal before 6pm.

The cravings used to be downright painful, but that has subsided now, and far more manageable. Sometimes a snack of either dates, an apple, or dried mangos, always with a handful of almonds really hits the spot. Lots of water. Oh yeah, and hibiscus tea.

grover

by grover

Another that cut sugar. I was a huge sweet tooth. Forever hungry. I work in a hospital, there's always chocolate and cake around that staff or family of patients has brought in. I was 182cm, 73kg, BMI 22.0.

I went cold turkey. If it has sugar on the ingredients list (or if home baked would have had sugar used) I don't ingest it. I lost 4kg in 2-3 weeks. 182cm, 69kg, BMI 20.8. If it's sweetened with something natural eg. fruit, maple syrup, honey etc I allow myself a little taste

I've been on this about 8 weeks now and maintained that weight at 69kg. I now find that sweet treats barely tempt me.
I was worried about how I'd stay full too. Firstly, I don't get those cravings that I used to get. My go to's for a quick fill
- a piece of fruit
- a sushi handroll
- fruit smoothie (banana, almond milk, honey, ice, cinnamon) or (frozen berries, almond milk, unsweetened greek yoghurt, honey)
- carrot/capsicum/celery/cucumber sticks and hommus dip (homemade - chick peas, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil etc - google a recipe)
- celery with a nut butter (almond/brazil/cashew is my favourite - get it from the health food store fresh or make your own - make sure no sugar added)
- home made toasted muesli with greek yoghurt
- even a toasted cheese sandwich. I don't care that it's a bit of fat and carbs. As long as it's no refined sugar.

My issue now is that I feel much better. So I want to remove refined sugar from what I'm ingesting on the bike. It's really hard to find good off the shelf sports nutrition with natural ingredients. I've resorted to making things from 'Feedzone Portables' by Allen Lim.

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

I'm another that badly craves sugary snacks. A huge problem is the convenience of sweets, chocolate, cake un an urban office environment. When you start to get a little hungry, you're surrounded by easy ways to get a sugar high.

And for me, I just got into the habit of stuffing anything and everything with seeming impunity. I have always been a lanky bean-pole since school. When got to uni I was doing rugby, athletics, volleyball, rowing, and cycling. I spent half the time trying to get bigger for rugby (and failing). For the last 18 years I have commuted by bike to work every day, and been more serious about road cycling for about the last 10. However the last 2 years has brought things more into perspective to me.After losing the last two winters, once with illness, and last year with a broken wrist, I found myself 8Kg from my last race weight and feeling crap about myself.

I have taken to buying a portion of fruit and a portion of veggies (celery/carrot/pepper sticks) every morning. These are then sitting handily on my desk for me to graze on. I realise that I would be much better off buying all this stuff with the weekly shop, but I'm just not organised enough to sort this stuff out every day when we have 2 kids to wrangle.

We also have a carbonated water tap at work, which is a great way to keep the hunger pangs at bay.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I'll scoff on nuts (ooo err) or jam back a choc protein shake if I get cravings...

Usually a pint of water can do the trick too.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

KWalker

by KWalker

Spend two weeks measuring your portions so you can realize exactly how much certain things are over/under done. My teammate was eating really healthy, but too much fruit and was ending up with 160g of sugar a day. Thats pounds of sugar a week. Or the typical bowl of pasta is actually 3-4 servings according to the box nutrition facts and most people end up with 150-200g of carbs in one sitting.

I find that these are the types that end up going super low fat and demonize carbs or a high-ish carb diet when in reality their portions were more out of control than they thought in the first place.

One thing that is helpful are the unsweetened fruit-flavored fizzy waters. I add some fresh squeezed lime juice to it.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Tonic water and lime ;)

When I cut suggar and carbs I shed weight and have bulk energy. My biggest issue is impulse control and working shift work.... Ooooo hello banana bread/icecream/chocolate at something o clock at night....
Using Tapatalk

welkman

by welkman

Just been looking into this as I've had issues with weight. My mother was on weight watchers for most of my childhood so the low fat high sugar diet crept in. I have issues with high insulin response so bad that if I eat a small chocolate or sweet and then get on the bike I can bonk within 15 mins, it's ridiculous. I'm looking at cutting out bread and refined sugar over the next few weeks, bringing in nuts etc. I am also tracking calories so I hope this will speed up the weight loss a bit as it has stalled in the last couple of weeks despite following what I eat religiously.

Any ideas for recipes etc that do without high sugar options welcomed !

JaidenBailey

by JaidenBailey

Garcinia Cambogia is a natural source to kill cravings. It is a small pumpkin shaped fruit of tropical origins and found in Southeast Asia, India and central Africa. It is very effective in control hunger & naturally reduce extra fat of body. There are so many Garcinia Cambogia supplements available in market or online.
:thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com