Carbon Bike on Trainer....... Safe?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Here's my writeup. For me, it was a first-time job. It turns out carbon fiber repair is no longer in the "wizard" or "rocket science" realm. Inexpensive materials and lots of online resources make it a DIY job, that can be handled at home.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145378

bestazy

by bestazy

Add me to the list of those whose carbon bike failed on a trainer. Snapped a chainstay while on a climb. The manufacturer would not warranty it :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stockae92

by stockae92

bestazy wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:51 pm
Add me to the list of those whose carbon bike failed on a trainer. Snapped a chainstay while on a climb. The manufacturer would not warranty it :(
seated or out of saddle? rocking the bike side to side much? how much power where you putting out?

tmr5555

by tmr5555

a dude in my cycling group broke the headtube of a scott addict, while attached to one of those wheelless elite trainers.
He was sprinting.

AlpeDHuez

by AlpeDHuez

I was out of the saddle on a steady climb when my chainstay snapped, using the basic up-and-down motion that one uses on a trainer. As a lightweight rider (140lbs), I was putting out no more than 350 watts.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

This thread makes me glad I have a steel LeMond in the stable.

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

know a local guy who did this to his cervelo

stockae92

by stockae92

I never felt having the rear drop out fixed at the trainer and ride out of saddle is a good idea, I only do seated ride on the trainer and have not break my carbon frame .. yet.

It seems to me for out of saddle effort, you are not only putting power to the crank, you are also twisting and turning the frame with the rear drop out fixed at one point, I don't think the frame is designed for that.

hodag1977

by hodag1977

This gentleman is a leading authority on carbon bikes, and he says it's perfectly ok to use on the trainer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qsLYlV ... 3Nw&t=102s
That being said, I actually did fatally damage my old Cervelo R3 on the trainer, first day of a trainer class at a local bike shop using Wahoo Kikrs. Bike was not clamped in properly, and pulled out of the dropout clamps during a sprint - crash! Tweaked the dropout, and ruined the rear derailleur. However, it did give me an excuse to upgrade to a new bike :)