The comfort of narrow handlebars.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

jeanjacques wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:09 am

Deda 100 RHM* and Deda 100 Anatomic.
http://www.dedaelementi.com/en/product/rhm-zero/
http://www.dedaelementi.com/en/product/ ... -newton-2/
*234g for my 38cm (c-c), Deda mesure outside to outside.
Deda 100 RHM seems perfect!!! My favorite shape too. Why don't those things show up in google searches when you are actually buying stuff?? I'd not have bought this Fizik Snake PoS. I don't really like classic drop, but bought it on sale, and because light and because "narrow" (or so I thought)...

But then, if Zipp SL-80 is really narrow (36 c-c our even o-o) I'd be puzzled between saving 16 precious grams or getting a bit narrower! Let's wait for finished bike weight to see if those 16 matter or not. I want 6.8kg with computer and sensors hopefully.

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

DutchMountains wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:10 pm

I got the Syntace CDR 7075 handle bar size small (40cm) for about 40 euro on sale some 18 months ago :D It measures 38cm c-c at the end of the drops and 37cm c-c near the hoods. 243 grams on my kitchen scale.
Thanks for the input, I'll update the list of narrow-light-alu bars. Not my shape though, and nearly same weight of what I got at hand. I paid the same on my Fizik R3 on Wiggle black friday. Actually bought all the parts I own on closeouts, blackfriday, or sales offering good discounts! Why not!?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

Not sure if I should start another thread, but I decided to organize a list. Please add what you know (copy and paste the text below and add a new one below). Someone could start a list of carbon ones.

Handlebars with these characteristics:
-38cm or narrower (real measure at drops c-c)
-Alloy
-250g or less
-Not above $100 if possible

1) Zipp Service Course SL-80 36cm (claimed) 250g (claimed)
2) Deda 100 RHM 40cm (measured 38 c-c) 234g (measured)
3) Deda ZERO 100 ANATOMIC 40cm (should measure 38 too) 244g (estimated, +10g from RHM)
4) Syntace CDR 7075 40cm (measured 38 c-c) 243g (measured)
5) Fizik Cyrano R3 Snake 38cm* (measured 39.5* c-c) 242.4g (measured) (added to the list so that people know it actually claims wrong measure!)

Keep adding! :)

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

I recall that syntace discount on bike-components.de cc. 1.5 years ago. One of my favourite bars, though I'd use one with 42cc size

topflightpro

by topflightpro

Not sure if I should start another thread, but I decided to organize a list. Please add what you know (copy and paste the text below and add a new one below). Someone could start a list of carbon ones.

Handlebars with these characteristics:
-38cm or narrower (real measure at drops c-c)
-Alloy
-250g or less
-Not above $100 if possible

1) Zipp Service Course SL-80 36cm (claimed) 250g (claimed)
2) Deda 100 RHM 40cm (measured 38 c-c) 234g (measured)
3) Deda ZERO 100 ANATOMIC 40cm (should measure 38 too) 244g (estimated, +10g from RHM)
4) Syntace CDR 7075 40cm (measured 38 c-c) 243g (measured)
5) Fizik Cyrano R3 Snake 38cm* (measured 39.5* c-c) 242.4g (measured) (added to the list so that people know it actually claims wrong measure!)
6) Specialized Women's Expert Shallow (36, 38 or 40) No posted weight. $45
7) Specialized Short Reach (36, 38 or 40) No posted weight. $30

CARBON:
1) Specialized Women's Carbon Shallow Bend (36, 38, 40) Claimed 180g for 40. $250

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

if the fizik makes the cut, then i'll offer the best handle bar in the world .... the easton equipe pro slx and the easton TKO at 40cm..... 40c-c at the drops but 39cm at the hoods. 200g and 300g respectively.

why the best u ask?.....Classic bend.

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

Previously with Deda Zero 100 RHM 38cm (c-c), I changed for Ritchey Evocurve* for the 4° sweep:
Massive increase in comfort. With narrow bar, hands doesn't have a lot of place on the top when climbing and this slight curve permit to have them more outside and with a more confortable wrist orientation.

* two models, Superlogic (38cm 196g mesured) and WCS one. I asked Ritchey about hard gravel use with the Superlogic and they said no problem. And unlike other carbon bar, this one is clip-on bar compatible.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

I’m currently using a Salsa Poco carbon bar. Size 36cm. It weighs 195 grams, and has a reach of 70mm and a drop of 140mm.

My stem is now slammed, and I am switching over to a shallower drop bar. 3T Ergonova in size 38cm. Man I wish they made a 36cm.

I’m 6’ tall, and switched from a 42cm bar about a year ago. The narrower bar is comfortable on 100 mile rides, as well as shorter high intensity rides.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

I get odd looks from other riders, but I like to have my shifters rotated to about 30° off vertical. Narrow position on the hoods, I don't have to find freakishly narrow bars (with associated limits on range) and it feels like a more natural position*.

*Try standing with your arms by your side then raise your hands to horizontal in front of you. It seems that the hands naturally twist to horizontal as your arms are in front of you... why not match the brake hoods to this natural angle?
Dimples: Laminar flow separates more easily from a surface than turbulent air. Delayed separation reduces drag. A groove perpendicular to the flow triggers laminar to turbulent conversion. A spinning object uses dimples so an edge always faces the flow.

ericoschmitt

by ericoschmitt

JerryLook wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:06 pm
I’m currently using a Salsa Poco carbon bar. Size 36cm. It weighs 195 grams, and has a reach of 70mm and a drop of 140mm.

My stem is now slammed, and I am switching over to a shallower drop bar. 3T Ergonova in size 38cm. Man I wish they made a 36cm.

I’m 6’ tall, and switched from a 42cm bar about a year ago. The narrower bar is comfortable on 100 mile rides, as well as shorter high intensity rides.
why not flip the stem upwards instead, so that the drops are higher where you want them? The plus is that your tops will get higher, so when you want confort/rest, it will be even better. And you keep your bars, don't spend in new ones. 140mm drops was one of the reasons I got Fizik Cyrano Snake r3, but in the 38cm width they came with 125mm drop instead, I got so disappointed. Your Salsa Poco measures seem perfect to me, is there an equivalent alloy version? I'm just not sure I would like those curves in the drop.

JerryLook

by JerryLook

ericoschmitt wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:04 am
JerryLook wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:06 pm

why not flip the stem upwards instead, so that the drops are higher where you want them? The plus is that your tops will get higher, so when you want confort/rest, it will be even better. And you keep your bars, don't spend in new ones. 140mm drops was one of the reasons I got Fizik Cyrano Snake r3, but in the 38cm width they came with 125mm drop instead, I got so disappointed. Your Salsa Poco measures seem perfect to me, is there an equivalent alloy version? I'm just not sure I would like those curves in the drop.
The thing is, I like the tops where they are now. I just want the drops a little higher. Also the drops in the Poco just aren’t as comfortable for me as some other bars I have tried.

Yes I believe they did make an alloy version of the Poco. I picked my carbon bar up used, but in very good shape. They aren’t as expensive as some of the more popular brands.
2010 Orbea Opal 54cm
5.97kg

CXrider

by CXrider

Does anyone know if there are handlebars available that are narrower than 32 cm c-c?

mikebuf73

by mikebuf73

11.4 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:36 am
I've posted in a number of places in favor of narrow bars, but let's take this all in moderation. When we're trying to find 34 and 32 cm c-c bars for road use, it's getting a little excessive for most riders. The idea was to get away from 42, 44, and 46 cm c-c bars. All one really needs to get the benefit is a 38 or 40 cm c-c bar. On the track, narrower bars are coming in more, but there's a point where for road use, it just doesn't make sense. Everything in moderation. At the track World Cup level, the most prevalent bar is the 34 cm Scatto. The Brits have tried some narrower bars and Chris Hoy in particular tried racing on them, but most riders are now on 34 cm Scattos or comparable offerings from Alpina and others. And that's track. For road, apart from a few people who go to extremes in the pro peloton, the most common narrow bars are 38 and 40 cm c-c.

One thing about narrow bars is to go a bit longer in the stem. That improves your aero position and also keeps your diaphragm unblocked. It also helps rotate your hips more effectively.

I've typically used 38 cm 3T Ergonovas, but I've been riding the new Specialized Sworks Blade in a 40 cm width. It's a bit narrower than that, and it's a classic round bend in fairly shallow dimensions. The whole bar works really well and allows internal cable routing, bar-end Di2 setup, and so on. In a position on a narrower bar with more reach, it's a very nice bar.
Hi 11.4

I am studiously reviewing your posts on handlebar width and learning so much - thanks! I was hoping to clarify a few points;

- when you refer to the width, is that width at the drops (c-c) or hoods?
- when I measure the width of my shoulders (to the boney point that sticks up, about a cm from the end of the shoulder bone) I get a width of around 36-37cm. My understanding is that 38cm c-c is the right size - but is that 38cm bar size to the hoods or drops?

I have been riding 42cm bars for these past years (clueless) and have always felt stretched out generally and particularly uncomfortable in the drops, to the point that I hardly ever use the drops as I find it really hard work (I appreciate there are other variables around bike fit and my flexibility etc in play here, however in isolation, I am feeling on pretty safe ground when I suggest I need narrower bars). I want to plump for some carbon beauties for a C64 build I have coming up and would rather avoid an expensive mistake if possible - do you think a 38cm bar (38cm measured c-c hood to hood, with a flare that measures 40cm c-c in the drops) would work for me?

Many thanks
Mike

prebsy

by prebsy

I always speak of hood c-c.

I would say what you measure is kind of irrelevant to the discussion here as everyone is running narrower than that. If your shoulders are that narrow you could try 38s but I'd recommend going even narrower 36s, 35 ( enve aero).

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

mikebuf73

by mikebuf73

prebsy wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:24 pm
I always speak of hood c-c.

I would say what you measure is kind of irrelevant to the discussion here as everyone is running narrower than that. If your shoulders are that narrow you could try 38s but I'd recommend going even narrower 36s, 35 ( enve aero).

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
thanks. I went for a ride today and was mindful of my positioning on the current 42cm (c-c hood) - I can absolutely be running narrower. Feeling more confident about giving the 38 c-c hoods a shot (they flare to 40cm c-c in the drops). I will think it will need an adjustment / attention re knees hitting forearms however, but hoping that is just about getting used to the new positioning and adapting.

Mike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com