The comfort of narrow handlebars.

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

Yah, Sky just measures and makes notes based on the large variance, not because all riders require the utmost precision. I don't know how bad PRO is, but 3T and Zipp are pretty awful. I recently needed an ARX II in 130. I had to order 3, which came in at 131, 137, and 128. One of my old Zipp 140s measured 155, yet I had an Easton 120 come in at 112. At that point you can't just put on any stem in a given size.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

I've actually measured just to compare a bunch of stems, both OEM and low to mid-end production stems, regarding actual length and drop. And let me tell you, there are some significant variances. -12 degree stems showing the same drop as -17 degree stems, and so forth. (Placing stems steerer tube hole flat at end of table, aligning the handlebar openings next to each other).

There really are some remarkable differences to be found...

Now I'm just a simple shop mechanic with little insight in forging manufacture, but I would really like to hear the full explanation how these variances can occur during (or after?) the forging process of the stem? Do they swell, shrink, droop, or what is going on?

prebsy

by prebsy

KWalker wrote:narrow handlebars were around MABRA for years. Frick used to fit everyone to Zipps and 3Ts because they'd measure at the drops and thus he could sell them a 42, but put them on a 40 in reality. IIRC he and his entire team ran 36s and 38s. He put me on 38s for a year, been on 40's ever since since no one makes traditional bars in 38. DJ ran 36s for a while and 38s, Hyatt had 38s....

lol it would be a full time job to keep up with what Hyatt is riding :lol:

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

DMF have a read of this, here Salsa have a tolerance of ±3.0 mm for their stems and reject forgings outside this tolerance, which can be as much as ±5.0 mm
http://www.peterverdone.com/?p=2744

DMF

by DMF

Thank you Tenlegs! That was a great read and certainly provided at least some insight into the why's and how's of forged stems inconsistencies :)

prebsy

by prebsy

Well I might have gone off the deep end. After my 38cm zipp sl70aeros were damaged I figured why not try a set of 36s, so far my wrists are a bit sore. Handling at high and low speed is still just fine. I'll report back in a couple weeks but I think I'll adapt just fine.Image

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I went to Zipp's website and it says the sizes range from 38-44 C-C. Where did you find the 36?

prebsy

by prebsy

Got the sl70 alloy, yes the aero only goes down to 38

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

prebsy wrote:Got the sl70 alloy, yes the aero only goes down to 38

Got it. Thanks. I've been riding 40cm and I had thought no one makes a bar more narrow than a 40cm except for this, LOL.

kimsinu

by kimsinu

I only have one ride in so far, tonight will be the second on my team's Wednesday night ride. I went from a Zipp SL 42 center to center to a 3T Aerotundo 40 center to center. I can't say I have noticed any big difference in spite of the 23mm more reach. At the bottom of the drops they felt good too with 10mm less drop. I'm liking it so far. I think to give this a fair evaluation I need to ride them at least 2 weeks.

bungis

by bungis

Went from 42 to 40 and it was a massive difference. Felt like going from a Harley to a crotch rocket in all the good ways.

Handling was a massive improvement, can whip the bike around corners much easier. I have broad shoulders but a freakishly skinny midsection and I feel that it should match up to that as much as shoulder width.

prebsy

by prebsy

Just an update on my experiment with 36s. I found the handling and width at the hoods and drops just fine. It turns out the with across the bar tops was no enough to comfortably place my hands there for climbing.

4151zero

by 4151zero

Is that flat edge on the 'aero' bars still comfy?

Marin

by Marin

Yes, very.

Regarding narrow bars, I just found out that Ergonovas are flared and available in 380mm measured at the drops, so you can get a 366mm hoods position.

mrgray

by mrgray

this is what i am into. narrow narrow handlebars with flares as well. 38 cm ergonovas are my bar of choice unless aero in which cases i am using enve ses. i have very broad shoulders for a cyclist but i am finding narrow bars to the stuff. and i note that when i ma buying bars the 38 cm are always sold out before other sizes. i really wanted some control ti bars the other day but narrowest was 40 cm i think. no good. i think bar manufacturers who don't get involved are missing out.
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com