Moderator: Moderator Team
I was probably the oldest there by 15 or so years. But, I still had a blast and learned alot about the different types of disciplines.
It was a great learning experience and may be something I would like to keep at.
There is an outdoor velodrome about 1 hour from my house and I will be there this spring/summer trying my hand at that track.
So is there any suggestions for an older guy that would like to pursue something like this or am I out of my mind?
Let me hear some of your experiences with track cycling in your more senior years.
I am an avid road guy who logs 2500 to 4000 miles a year on a few bikes plus a gravel road bike that I am riding.
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG
Not sure your definition of senior, but at racing last Tuesday night was a couple of guys around 70 years old still racing D grade and at the pointy end of the field...
So join the local club, ask those racing lots of questions, do some more introductory track sessions, get your licence and race!
Thanks for all the replies and encouragement.
- You will practice sprinting much more; how far you can sprint, how to start the sprint, who to follow... all become second nature
- Race tactics around when / how to attack / positioning will get better as you get the chance to make 10 years worth of road racing mistakes in 1 track league season
- You will get better at the sort of short hard repeat efforts which are difficult to replicate in training
- You will get to know yourself and find out what you're better at than other similar riders
- Both ends of your pedalling will improve, high torque low cadence, souplesse / speed
- Bunch riding and bike handling will get better
- You can justify another bike (or 2) and a whole new set of tools
Best way to do it is to find a mentor who can watch you race then ask you the right questions. This helps you make progress. On the downside it's unlikely to help your hillclimbing.
I will let ya all know how it goes in a month or so once it starts.
- Similar Topics
- Last post
Hello guys !
Last post by joe1234 « Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:42 pmReplies: 2
Posted in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.by joe1234 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:16 pm » in Introduce Yourself / Gallery - Please use metric weights.
- 2 Replies
- 704 Views
Last post by joe1234
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:42 pm
- 6 Replies
- 880 Views
Last post by istigatrice
Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:23 am
- 1 Replies
- 523 Views
Last post by ultyguy
Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:14 pm
- 9 Replies
- 510 Views
Last post by Nuleyn
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:47 pm
- 4 Replies
- 557 Views
Last post by FIJIGabe
Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:35 am