Specific TT training program

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bigf1sh

by Bigf1sh

I wanna start focusing more on TT next season and to start competing on a amaturlevel. Most of the TT races are between 30-50km. The past year i been riding alot of long hours to prepair for a 300k race here in Sweden. I dont have a powermeter yet so i cant give you any info about that, but when i train with my cyclingclub the pace is around 35-37 kph for 100-120km on roadbikes. So im far from "pro". I do have a HR monitor that i plan to use durining training. So right now im trying to make a trainingschudule to improve my TT. Im gonna buy a Canyon Speedmax CF EVO asap, and due to weatherconditions im gonna try and get outside around march/early april next year. So this is what i plan for the indoor season to start with:

D1 Low cadence intervalls for general strengthbuilding 10x1, 3x2 and 1x5min with rests in between, duration 2h
D2 5x3 max out with 5 min rest, 15 min warmup and 15 min warmdown. Duration 1h (duh)
D3 2x20 min at 110% FTP and 2x30 min at 90-95% FTP.
D4 Rest
D5 High cadence intervalls
D6 See D2
D7 See D3
D8 Rest

Rinse and repeat. Does this sound ok or do you have any other good plan for me to consider. Please contribute with any info.

Best Regards

Sorry for poor spelling :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

ditch the low cadence intervals, worthless IMO. High cadence can be a good thing to practice on descending parts especially for TTings.

Not sure how you're going to do 2 x 20 at 110% FTP and then 2 x 30 at 95%. 110% for 20 min is kind of... absurd? A simple 2 x 20 at 95-100% would do it IMO.

I think your weekly schedule might be a tad too much, I'd replace a 5 x 3min by a long/tempo ride over 3h, depending on time of the year.

Best advice, train in the TT position, especially for intervals near race pace.

These are very general guidelines.

Bigf1sh

by Bigf1sh

Haha yeah was suppose to write 2x20 OR 2x30. Thanks for your advice!

grid256

by grid256

Completely agree with devinci. Lose the 5x3 and replace it with a tempo ride at 3hr or above or even a LSD ride at 5hr if you have the time. Your challenge is going to be recovery and successful completion of two days of 2x20s per week. The first 3 minutes of that 4th 20 minute interval at the end of the week... tough stuff. That, and get the tt bike asap. You need to find the position that works and start acclimating your body. Lastly, and I didn't see mention of this in your post, but a powermeter is far more important than the latest tt frame (as awesome as the Canyon is). I'd ride a used P3 from ebay with a new powermeter before a new Canyon without one any day.

Bigf1sh

by Bigf1sh

Yeah a PowerMeter is high on my to get list. I been looking at the Power2Max, it seems to have a good balance between price and function. The Vector looks intresting aswell if it's ever released...
Ok because i still have a massive cold i might aswell take in your advice and change my trainingschedule :)

D1 2x20 at 95-100% FTP, 20 min rest in between
D2 Long Tempo ride at maybe 70-80%?, duration 3-5h
D3 Rest
D4 5-8x3 min at 120% FTP, 3 min rest in between
D5 Long Tempo ride, duration 3-5h
D6 2x30 at 90-95% FTP, 30 min rest
D7 Rest

Looks better?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

That certainly looks better. You're going to struggle to hold 8 3min's at 120% with only 3 min rest intervals.

Either extend the RI to 5min or stop after 5 intervals.

D2 you might also want to knock back to z1 too.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

grid256 wrote:...I'd ride a used P3 from ebay with a new powermeter before a new Canyon without one any day.

Quoted for truth.

And I concur with the rest of the advice given.

In lieu of a power meter you need a solid, repeatable method of testing your performance to ensure the training is working for you. This can be a TT itself IF the course conditions are similar enough. If you are seeing improvement then don't be tempted to change the training just for the sake of it. Linear progression can and does work, especially if you a little time crunched. Once you fail to see improvement without mitigating circumstances (lack of sleep, travel, work, family etc) THEN start to mix things up.
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com