Garmin edge 820 elevation problem

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Talsuwaidi

by Talsuwaidi

Can anyone explain why this is happening on my elevation reading for my Garmin edge 820? And is there anyway to solve it?

Below 2 pictures are from my Garmin and a friend's(newer model.. 1030) from the same ride. It was multiple laps of the same course as you can see from the elevation patterns but on mine each lap seems to have a lower elevation gained so it ends up with a lower reading over the 42km ride.

Mine

His

by Weenie

fruitfly

by fruitfly

I would guess that your altimeter is not reading correctly-had a similar experience with my Garmin 520 vs a friend's Wahoo. Now I use the STrava feature that allows one to edit the elevation and use the STrave map data. Most of the time my Garmin reading is below the Strava data, although on days with local high air pressure, the number agree pretty well. But when there is low air pressure locally, my Garmin reads low.

AJS914

by AJS914

If you know your exact elevation, you can enter it in your garmin to calibrate it.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... 70478.html

grover

by grover

What computer mount are you using. There are four small holes on the back of the Garmin right in the middle. These allow measuring of altitude. If you computer mount if fully enclosed there can be problems with the measurement. For example, my F3 form mount uses a bolt in the middle of the mount to hold it together so is fully sealed. It doesn't allow the air pressure to be recorded correctly, especially if there's some moisture.

fruitfly

by fruitfly

Thanks to both previous posters! I have a Form mount, and live at sea level, so calibration is easy.....Time to see if I can move figure out a fix for the mount....

grover

by grover

Haha. We both have the same problem. Some riding buddies have drilled a hole in the centre of their fully enclosed mounts which fixed the problem. Unfortunately you can't do that with the F3 form mount, so need to figure something else out. Maybe some tiny hole of to the side of the bolt? I haven't spent any time looking at it either.

Talsuwaidi

by Talsuwaidi

fruitfly wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:38 pm
I would guess that your altimeter is not reading correctly-had a similar experience with my Garmin 520 vs a friend's Wahoo. Now I use the STrava feature that allows one to edit the elevation and use the STrave map data. Most of the time my Garmin reading is below the Strava data, although on days with local high air pressure, the number agree pretty well. But when there is low air pressure locally, my Garmin reads low.
Thx. Will try that, if its a one time fix it will be great. if not then I might have to consider going for a newer one before climbing season, where ill be riding in a hilly part of the country, with hopefully a better sensor. My friend has same bike and mount so im kind of ruling that point out. Yet again it might just be a bad mount for my specific edge model.
grover wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:06 am
What computer mount are you using. There are four small holes on the back of the Garmin right in the middle. These allow measuring of altitude. If you computer mount if fully enclosed there can be problems with the measurement. For example, my F3 form mount uses a bolt in the middle of the mount to hold it together so is fully sealed. It doesn't allow the air pressure to be recorded correctly, especially if there's some moisture.
Thx for the info. Currently both my friend and my bikes are the same. SW Venges with the stock mount that comes with the bike. He has a newer gamin 1030 or 1030+(not sure exactly)

Im assuming this might be a specific incompatible mount with my model if this is right.
AJS914 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:39 pm
If you know your exact elevation, you can enter it in your garmin to calibrate it.

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... 70478.html
Thanks. I read about that but it seems like its a problem where over the duration of the ride calibration is going off. If it was an incorrect start and same end point that might be the issue. I can do 5 laps of a circle and on strava/garmin it looks like im spiralling downhill and end at an elevation lower than where I started. But will give it a try.

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

Did the temperature change during the ride? I have seen some of my friends elevation change dramatically when they have stopped at a cafe mid-ride.

by Weenie