Losing weight without losing power?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

zmjones

by zmjones

i am no expert on this topic at all, but my weight loss has been *really* slow, and i've gained a substantial amount of power over the course of that. in about 1.5 years i've gone from 177 to 168, and my power on a benchmark climb in my area that is around 15 minutes for me has gone from about 310 to 340.

for those of ya'll that lose power when losing weight, have you done a dxa body composition scan? seems like power loss would only come because from the loss of muscle mass, so if you got a scan periodically you could be sure you were only losing fat, not losing bone density or muscle mass.

mentok

by mentok

I've noticed a loss of power moreso from loss of conditioning and doing fewer workouts in a fed state rather than straight-up attributing it to muscle loss. Sure, muscle loss happens, but I think it's only part of the picture.

You diet for a few months and in that time you are certainly not redlining all your workouts because you're sometimes hungry or a bit flat so they aren't maximising your potential. You're not improving on the fitness you have and maybe losing some over time. Simarly, because you're not turning up to every workout fresh and fed you're not testing as often or as well or just simply not hitting great numbers because you're not trying to as often.

Similar to strength athletes, there is a certain amount of periodization required whereby you accept that you're going to find it hard to get super skinny during periods of build, and you're going to have trouble building if your main goal is to drop weight. Of course, there is an element of noob gains if you're in your first couple of seasons.

by Weenie

IsabelleFoissard

by IsabelleFoissard

I think, according to my own experience, which is very important, if you want to reach the ideal weight in the power and body mass are balanced, follow a fairly strict diet in terms of amounts of fat. And above all keep the training at the same level as always.

StanK

by StanK

Jaker wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:34 am
I'm struggling to drop the last 2kgs or so to reach my previous riding weight of 75kg. But then that was 5-6 years ago and I'm getting older. I also no longer go for the 3-4 hour rides that I used to get that helped me get down to that weight. I'm confident that if I could manage some long rides I could get back to my previous weight. And I too struggle to avoid the sweets and pastries.

Off I go for a 1 hour ride. Gotta up the watts to try and compensate for a shorter ride!
It won't work. 1 hour ride, even if is very intense, is something else than 3-4 hour ride. I like both, but repeated 100km rides are ones that really melt fat, you are right on that one.
Age also has nothing (or almost nothing) to do with gaining kilos. It's just question of more riding/activity. As I said, even without any diet. But then again, it also depends of your usual eating habits.