Losing weight without losing power?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

zmjones

by zmjones

i am no expert on this topic at all, but my weight loss has been *really* slow, and i've gained a substantial amount of power over the course of that. in about 1.5 years i've gone from 177 to 168, and my power on a benchmark climb in my area that is around 15 minutes for me has gone from about 310 to 340.

for those of ya'll that lose power when losing weight, have you done a dxa body composition scan? seems like power loss would only come because from the loss of muscle mass, so if you got a scan periodically you could be sure you were only losing fat, not losing bone density or muscle mass.

by Weenie

mentok

by mentok

I've noticed a loss of power moreso from loss of conditioning and doing fewer workouts in a fed state rather than straight-up attributing it to muscle loss. Sure, muscle loss happens, but I think it's only part of the picture.

You diet for a few months and in that time you are certainly not redlining all your workouts because you're sometimes hungry or a bit flat so they aren't maximising your potential. You're not improving on the fitness you have and maybe losing some over time. Simarly, because you're not turning up to every workout fresh and fed you're not testing as often or as well or just simply not hitting great numbers because you're not trying to as often.

Similar to strength athletes, there is a certain amount of periodization required whereby you accept that you're going to find it hard to get super skinny during periods of build, and you're going to have trouble building if your main goal is to drop weight. Of course, there is an element of noob gains if you're in your first couple of seasons.

IsabelleFoissard

by IsabelleFoissard

I think, according to my own experience, which is very important, if you want to reach the ideal weight in the power and body mass are balanced, follow a fairly strict diet in terms of amounts of fat. And above all keep the training at the same level as always.

StanK

by StanK

Jaker wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:34 am
I'm struggling to drop the last 2kgs or so to reach my previous riding weight of 75kg. But then that was 5-6 years ago and I'm getting older. I also no longer go for the 3-4 hour rides that I used to get that helped me get down to that weight. I'm confident that if I could manage some long rides I could get back to my previous weight. And I too struggle to avoid the sweets and pastries.

Off I go for a 1 hour ride. Gotta up the watts to try and compensate for a shorter ride!
It won't work. 1 hour ride, even if is very intense, is something else than 3-4 hour ride. I like both, but repeated 100km rides are ones that really melt fat, you are right on that one.
Age also has nothing (or almost nothing) to do with gaining kilos. It's just question of more riding/activity. As I said, even without any diet. But then again, it also depends of your usual eating habits.

Jaker

by Jaker

Ya. I'm hovering around 76-77kg right now, and I know if I want to drop those last few, I'll need to quit the late night sweets and get more hours on the bike.

JCrider

by JCrider

I tried maximum sustainable power protocol using walking lunges with weights and that does the trick for gaining power. The book needs editing and hard to follow especially you never been to gym. I read the book and saw some tips from youtube videos on it that help clarify things.

To sum it up. You start with some core and strength execises for few weeks. Once you have some base fitness in the gym start with single leg presses and dead lifts using pyrimad sets. Final exercise is walking lunges with cowbells or dumbells. Set 1: do walking lunges with 3-5 steps each leg. Rest 10-15 seconds and repeat this for 2 minutes. Take a 2 min rest. That is one mini set. Do same for 2 ore times. As you get stronger increase the weight and duration but keep steps to 8-10 total. The idea is to keep going at you 80% without blowing up. Off season recommendation is 3-4 times max and cycling season once a week.

AJS914

by AJS914

JCRider, how did the Maximum Overload program improve your cycling and/or power?

I'm just getting going with the program. Yes, the book rambles along but the basic program is not hard to understand.

Ethan4

by Ethan4

I have some tips maintains every level while you are losing weight.
By making some minor changes in your daily you will surely be able to reduce 10kg to 15kg weight in a month. You have to east iron rich foods like as beans, poultry, lean red meat, and nuts.
Here is routine you should be following:
• Eat more often.
• Get the right amount of exercise
• Sleep at 8 to 10 hours
• Focus on nutrition, not just calories
• Monitor your calorie intake

HShimada

by HShimada

Watch Game Changers and change to plant based diet. Make 100% of your choices towards non processed foods. Easier/cheaper than you think

Avoid junk food and sodas at all costs. : This is absolutely the hardest part.

Eat enough (i.e. ~BMR + a couple hundred more) : Easy

Ride 6-9 hours on average per week. Easy! We love riding!

Watch your weight plummet.
I went from 208lbs to 143lbs. No magic or special tricks required. The hardest thing is to fight the hunger. You WILL feel hungry. A lot of people (me included) have a tendancy to binge after riding. If you lose 900-1000 cals on the bike and eat it all back, you won't lose weight. You might even gain some. If you're losing weight you're supposed to feel a little hungry.

Good luck!

MattMay

by MattMay

The Game Changers (Netflix) is a great documentary and well worth a watch no matter what sport you’re into.

Patb095

by Patb095

HShimada wrote:Watch Game Changers and change to plant based diet. Make 100% of your choices towards non processed foods. Easier/cheaper than you think

I went from 208lbs to 143lbs. No magic or special tricks required. The hardest thing is to fight the hunger. You WILL feel hungry. A lot of people (me included) have a tendancy to binge after riding. If you lose 900-1000 cals on the bike and eat it all back, you won't lose weight. You might even gain some. If you're losing weight you're supposed to feel a little hungry.

Good luck!
How long did it take you to go from 208 to 143?

guyc

by guyc

10-15kg a month is an insane amount of weight to drop.

HShimada

by HShimada

Patb095 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:21 pm
HShimada wrote:Watch Game Changers and change to plant based diet. Make 100% of your choices towards non processed foods. Easier/cheaper than you think

Good luck!
August 2015 - January 2016 : 208lbs to ~160lbs
January 2016 - April 2016 : 160lbs to 154lbs
November 2019 - December 2019 : 154lbs to 143lbs

Currently 140.5lbs

I haven't changed between April 2016 until November 2019. I've pretty much always kept the weight off. Maybe 3lbs or so fluctuations in "off seasons"
Although I remained the same this "off season" / holiday break as I don't eat junk anymore.

Patb095

by Patb095

HShimada wrote:
Patb095 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:21 pm

Good luck!
August 2015 - January 2016 : 208lbs to ~160lbs
January 2016 - April 2016 : 160lbs to 154lbs
November 2019 - December 2019 : 154lbs to 143lbs

Currently 140.5lbs

I haven't changed between April 2016 until November 2019. I've pretty much always kept the weight off. Maybe 3lbs or so fluctuations in "off seasons"
Although I remained the same this "off season" / holiday break as I don't eat junk anymore.

I’m 3/4 of the way through the documentary and we get to the veggie meat.

Not talking about the burgers but just the meat. Do you consider the veggie meat to be junk food?

by Weenie

HShimada

by HShimada

I’m 3/4 of the way through the documentary and we get to the veggie meat.

Not talking about the burgers but just the meat. Do you consider the veggie meat to be junk food?
I do. There's obviously levels of it and I'd rather eat fresh cooked plant-based "meat" than vegan frozen "nuggets" I buy from a grocery store.

Below might be a little off topic and I know you didn't ask but it might help someone.

But I still highly recommend looking into some good recipe books for fresh cooked meals. If you are not on a budget and you're super lazy, you can always go to chipotle couple times a week. Brown rice, black beans, fajita veggies, salsa of your choice, guac if you need the calories after a 1000+ calorie burn ride. No guac if not needed. Stay away from chips and sodas or anything else. Done.

Here's what I've been doing. EVERY single day. Not joking. I even take my oats with me to places:

7-8am Breakfast: Toast an "everything" bagel. Spread half an avocado on it. Add some seasalt on top. Add sriracha sauce. Decaf coffee (I also quit caffeinated coffee which is said to prevent iron absorption)

12pm Lunch: 1/2 cup quick oats mixed with 1/2 cup almond milk (refrigerate over night). Add 2 bananas and some boiled water and mash em up. Add blueberries, little cinnemon, 1/2 table spoon of peanut butter.

3pm Ride : 1 pack of clif bloks if it's 1+ hours sweet spot or harder ride. No food if easy / recovery less than an hour.

4-5pm Dinner : A recipe from this book: https://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Everybody- ... 194035286X if me or my gf is in the mood to cook. I try to select stuff that are more carb based than fat. If we're too lazy to cook, I throw some pan seared veggies on rice and mix it all up.

If I get hungry at night I eat an apple. Or chew some gum ;)

ALWAYS have apples at home to snack on so you don't make bad choices. Don't buy chips and shit for home. You WILL eat them when you're hungry. I ALWAYS have some rice in the fridge. I cook 2 cups whenever I run out. Worst comes to worst I at least have that to heat up and eat real quick if I have no other food at home and need fuel right after a bike ride. I've even taken a bowl in the shower with me. If I have no food and I'm starving, I'm making bad choices.

You're out with friends on a weekend? *f##k* it. Live a little. Don't eat 3k calories. But enjoy stuff you don't normally buy for home in moderation.