RobertBB's CyclePlanner Spreadsheet

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

robertbb

by robertbb

Had numerous requests on another thread and in PM's, to share a spreadsheet I put together. So here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgkjth23hldqq ... 0.xls?dl=0

All workout names are TM of TrainerRoad, and some of my workouts are there as examples. Terms like TSS, CTL, ATL, TSB, NP and IF, as well as the logic behind the formulas, are discussed in "Training and Racing with a Power Meter" as well as some very old mailing list/forum discussions so as I understand I am not breaking any laws by using them and it's not my intention to do so. Could just as easily rename these things (e.g. Load, STS, LTS, SB)... as many other sites have done, but thought users would be confused and decided to stick with well known nomenclature.

Use should be fairly intuitive, follow the instructions at the top of the first sheet to get started.

In a nutshell, the shaded parts of the grid (columns F, G and H) let you play with your planned workouts/rides/events, and daily TSS values. To the right of that, after each ride, you'll enter in your actual workouts/rides/events and the TSS value you scored. Then there's room to also record the fit file name from the ride (for those of us that save them to our own computers), as well as the NP and IF (though these two aren't actually used in any of the calculations).

Moving to the right, you'll see the Fitness, Fatigue and Form sections. These are all automatically populated. Conveniently, a red line will highlight today's date.

Charts include:
- Training Load. This will show your planned vs actual TSS in purple and green, respectively.
- PMC. Currently two each for the base phase and one annual, further broken down into planned and actual.

ToDo:
1. Create a new separate "Configuration" tab, that will house all settings. Including the Start Date, Start ATL, Start CTL, ATL constant, CTL constant and some new settings. Namely
- Within the 52 week year, be able to specify date ranges for intended mesocycles, that will correctly format column 'B' (mesocycles) which for now is entirely manual.
- Be able to specify intended ramp rates, and have a reasonable season's worth of planned training load pop out (i.e. to populate the purple column)
2: Combine the planned and actual PMC's into one chart, and be able to toggle on/off CTL, ATL and TSB for both the planned and actual values.
3: Specify date ranges for the PMC's, so we don't need a separate one for mesocycles (e.g. I have a pre-built one for "Base Phase", a pre-built one for Annual... etc.)

As I said, it'd be super cool to start a kickstarter to pay someone more talented than me to have this developed as a standalone application for both Windows and Mac. Golden Cheetah is amazing, but it has a very steep learning curve and features most of us will never use... and of course, no real planning feature (yet).

Enjoy, feedback welcome and especially any Excel gurus who want to help please let me know! I'm not a coder or an excel guru, I just had a lot of fun playing with this as I learned about training with power

:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

Thanks for that :thumbup:
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

nobuseri

by nobuseri

Props and nice work. Will check it out. Thanks!
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

xpert

by xpert

Thanks A lot, i ll try with a friend that is a bit of excel expert to try and complete the to-do list :)

robertbb

by robertbb

xpert wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:33 am
Thanks A lot, i ll try with a friend that is a bit of excel expert to try and complete the to-do list :)
That would be amazing!

buhx2

by buhx2

Thanks Robert. I'm pretty bad at Excel - how do I create thew configuration tab and have all the dates linked to it? When I try and change some of the dates or fields, it is password protected.

robertbb

by robertbb

There is no configuration tab (yet). You just need to put a start date in cell number D2 and it will populate the date column.

buhx2

by buhx2

I tried that, but it says the sheet is password protected.

robertbb

by robertbb

Just triple checked - works fine. Have you tried the file on a another computer with a different installation of Excel?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jencvo

by jencvo

robertbb wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:32 am
Just triple checked - works fine. Have you tried the file on a another computer with a different installation of Excel?
I've been having the same problem, it says the sheet is protected and when I try to unprotect it, is asks for a password. Using excel on Mac.