Why the locking of threads?

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Personally I dont like mis-leading titles.. and bloodfest is just stupid shit. You all should be happy I am not a mod.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

Banning trouble maker(s) is more effective

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nickldn

by Nickldn

openwheelracing wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:58 pm
Banning trouble maker(s) is more effective
Constant rim vs. disk threads are a bit annoying and 'crowd out' other content, but it is usually a few, very few, individuals who make them descend into a 'bloodfest', usually full of inane cr*p.

Maybe banning some of these egregious individuals will make a difference and actually mean useful discussions can take place.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Maddie wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:26 pm
I disagree too. Can't remember thy ever starting a thread about a topic that has been discussed to death. He may have a strong opinion that rim lovers don't like but I don't have the feeling that he is the one that starts people calling names. That's coming from the other side

Yep. Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty. I have never started a contentious thread, and I don’t cry about other members in PMs to mods…I certainly don’t do it publicly.

I reply when the peanut gallery starts calling disc, tubeless, aero, etc. users sheeple and other unsavory terms.

warthog101

by warthog101

ryanw wrote:You're all welcome to leave if you don't like the way the mods run the forum.

Personally, I miss the old days when this place was an absolute font of WW knowledge, not a bunch of plonkers starting click bait threads to discuss (argue about) absolutely ridiculous topics.
Thankyou for investing your time.
As evidenced by this thread, obviously a largely thankless task.
I see this as a fairly aggressive forum in it's tone at times and would definitely not complain it is over moderated.

tomato

by tomato

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:47 pm
I reply when the peanut gallery starts calling disc, tubeless, aero, etc. users sheeple and other unsavory terms.
I find sheeple very savory ... with a little butter and garlic.

adilosnave

by adilosnave

I'm not sure this forum is large enough to hold the egos of Tobin and RyanW at the same time. Universe might explode.

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

I see same posters over and over when it comes to disc vs rim. Never fails. It's not the discussion which is valid and fun. It's the same posters crapping all over the discussion attempting to squash actual discussion. It would be wise for Weight Weenie to ban bad actors instead of just shutting down discussion.

Fact is this is a huge topic in the cycling industry. Being "weight weenie" forum certainly has a lot to do with such discussion. Cyclingtips just came out with a podcast and they touched on it also.

ducman

by ducman

I thought this was a thread about Loctite. Unintended clickbate. 😂

micky

by micky

basilic

by basilic

RyanH wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:39 pm
rim brake vs disc thread which is the bicycle equivalent of debating religion or politics.
I disgree. It is a perfectly valid technical topic in cycling, unlike religion or politics. Eg a recent thread by Matt14 (missing the rim brake, or something) reported specific issues with servicing a headset, that is informative. The problem is the same posse of posters who contribute nothing constructive, just gibe about popcorn, bloodfests, locking threads etc. That is indeed tiresome.
Why not just have one thread titled "Braking systems" and let it run.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

basilic wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:50 am

I disgree. It is a perfectly valid technical topic in cycling, unlike religion or politics. Eg a recent thread by Matt14 (missing the rim brake, or something) reported specific issues with servicing a headset, that is informative. The problem is the same posse of posters who contribute nothing constructive, just gibe about popcorn, bloodfests, locking threads etc. That is indeed tiresome.
Why not just have one thread titled "Braking systems" and let it run.

Okay, but didn't leave it there with the specific headset issue. He made it a rant with the same tired rhetoric:

Do I get a performance benefit from disc brakes? No not really.
Are they more aerodynmic? Despite what the folks in marketing say, no.
Are they heavier? Yes
Are they more hassle than they're worth? Yes.

Ride your rim-brake bike to your heart's content. You don't have to convince anyone else that discs are bad to enjoy your own bike.

neeb

by neeb

That's hardly a rant. I can understand why disc fans find the repetition of the same points tiresome, but to those of us who prefer rim brakes the constant ignoring/denial of these (to us) obvious truisms in all of the cycling media is equally tiresome. You can't just keep saying that black is white and expect those of us who see it otherwise just to keep our mouths shut permanently.

Most of us love bicycles and cycling. It's true that I can keep riding the bikes that I have, but I'd also like to be able to buy some new ones at some point in the future, benefit from all of the other new developments that will come along and not be stuck in a retro rut from this point onwards, forever.. So I/we have a vested interest in keeping making the case for the continued development of new rim brake bike models and technology.

I don't know what the solution is in the context of moderating a forum, but maybe a "braking systems" dustbin thread as suggested above would be the way to go. TBH, even the worst I see on here is pretty small-scale compared to what you see in YouTube comments sections every day. Doubtless the discussion in such a thread would ebb and flow between pointlessly argumentative and constructive, but anyone could take it or leave it.

adilosnave

by adilosnave

Neeb nailed it. The recent thread about disc brakes requiring the caliper to be detached just to adjust the headset struck a chord as it is extremely similar to the terrible experience I've had with disc brakes thus far. So like Neeb said, just because people keep saying discs are great and blah blah blah doesn't necessarily make it absolute fact, and we should allow the same posters to come on here to bash those that do. It's as bad as political topics. Each side thinks they are correct and can't imagine how others can think differently. If anything, that above-mentioned thread confirmed that I'm not crazy and there are others sharing similar experiences.

I'm not a luddite in the slightest but my personal opinion is that discs just don't have enough wiggle room built in for day-in, day-out use, especially when taking into consideration swapping out wheels for different conditions.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Pretty sure you can swap out an Aethos headset in 2 minutes, and they have discs...

So the OP of that thread was complaining about internally routed cockpits, not disc brakes, but still felt they had to moan about discs. Where is the logic in that?

Ride whichever componentry you want, but don't complain about something just because of your own incapabilities, as I said in the last thread.

It's the same as saying you should only ever buy cycling shoes with Boas, since you're incapable of tying shoelaces.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com