Torque wrench

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PSM

by PSM

Hello.

What do you guys think of the one I have for 2Nm on bar and 3Nm for steerer? I will install my Hyperstem today. Will it be accurate enough? :noidea:

https://www.wiggle.se/lifeline-essentia ... lsrc=aw.ds

IvanZg

by IvanZg

I've used it for for years with hyperstem and did not experiance any problems what so ever. So i guess it's close enough to what it needs to be.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PSM

by PSM

Thank you!

Hexsense

by Hexsense

mine seems to read a tad low (or get a tad more torque than I set).
Say, set it at 5N.m but it click at 5.5N.m, for example.
But as long as you stay within reasonable torque range. The components are designed with more than enough margin of error to cover that little extra torque.

froze

by froze

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:35 pm
mine seems to read a tad low (or get a tad more torque than I set).
Say, set it at 5N.m but it click at 5.5N.m, for example.
But as long as you stay within reasonable torque range. The components are designed with more than enough margin of error to cover that little extra torque.
I'm not so sure about that. If I can squeeze a frame tube, or a fork blade, hard enough to make it give with nothing but my index finger and thumb, I would then think that using the wrong torque value could do that easily. I suggest you use the exact torque settings or risk crushing the carbon fiber enough to weaken it over time, which has been known to cause sudden failure.

froze

by froze

That is a generic torque wrench, China puts a lot of different brand names on that wrench, would I trust it? Not without taking it to a mechanic that can check the accuracy!

I use the Lezyne torque Drive and it works really well, and the numbers gradients are a lot better and easier to see than the Silca, plus the Lezyne is half the price!

One thing to remember, and always remember this, DO NOT use any torque wrench to back out a bolt, it will damage the calibration and your torque wrench will be history.

charirider

by charirider

Tonichi QL-MH 1〜5nm
2018 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2 rim size 56 (raw stripped) 6.9kg
2014 Bridgestone Anchor CX6 Equipe size 55 (cyclocross) 9.8kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

usr

by usr

froze wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 12:04 am
One thing to remember, and always remember this, DO NOT use any torque wrench to back out a bolt, it will damage the calibration and your torque wrench will be history.
That's why you'd preferably use a torsion type torque wrench instead of a click type unless your work situation is approaching assembly line conditions where varying operator diligence is the bigger reliability issue.