Sram Red Aero Link Brakes: Shortening axles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

monchito

by monchito

I've had the Aero Links for a long time and although I'm happy with them, I was always annoyed by the distance between the brakes and the frame, so I finally decided to make shorter axles.

Image Image

Shortly after starting, I realized that I would also need to make the nuts. For both, the nuts and the axles I have used 6/4 titanium. The rear axle is hollow and the front axle only the head and the cylinder until the thread begins.

So that the hole was not visible, I covered it with a bit of carbon fiber and epoxy.

Image Image Image Image Image

Finally, to be able to put the brake so close to the frame, I had to lower the brake pads 2mm. Apparently it doesn't affect the stopping power and the final result is pretty nice :wink: (So who cares if it brakes or not XD)

Image Image

And also, as a consequence of having shortened the axles for a purely aesthetic reason (although surely theoretically, as the axles are shorter they flex less when braking and blablabla) I have been able to remove a few more grams :mrgreen: The goat always goes to the mountain...

Image Image

Maddie

by Maddie

Ha, very cool! Always good to have a lathe at your disposal

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com