"Sent from my xx using Tapatalk" ban

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
Hexsense

by Hexsense

Is there any Forum feature, or browser plug-in that hide away all the
"Sent from my XXX-device Using Tapatalk"
entirely out of my sight?

Those spam message seems to be added as plain text to the end of posts from users that use Tapatalk using default configuration.
Obviously we can't ask every users to turn that feature off in their Tapatalk. So I wonder if there is any solution from other end.
Maybe something like adding
"Sent from my * Using Tapatalk"
in to the word black list or something.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

themidge

by themidge

It's just one line of text at the bottom of a post, is it really that annoying?

Sent from weightweenies.starbike.com using my computer

cheapvega

by cheapvega

If this is the biggest problem you have in 2020 you may very well be the most privileged person on the planet.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

nah, It's never been a big problem. But let small issue pass while it maybe fixable is also not improving things.
If it is fixable in less than 15 minutes via browser plug-in or Regex word filter etc. It eventually will save my time.

Seeing one extra line per post, over 20 posts a day. It adds up over the time.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using GPRS

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Hi Hexsense, we took a quick look at this. The short of it is there is nothing immediately actionable from the forum side.

The options we discussed:

1. Have mods ask everyone with Tapatalk signatures to manually disable in the app via DMs. We entertained this idea but decided this isn't how the admins/mods want to enforce this at the moment.
That said, for everyone reading in the app right now: Tapatalk App > Me > Settings > Signature > Toggle Disable

2. Use regular expressions to detect Tapatalk signatures and replace with blank spaces. We looked into it and unfortunately phpBB doesn't have a regex feature.

3. Have users who don't want to see this create their own filters and block it on an individual basis. May be possible on desktop browsers via plugins, but doesn't work for those browsing on mobile... which seems to be the main use case where these lines are most annoying. Especially when quoting.

4. Leave it be.

So considering these it's a toss between 1 & 4. We could update the rules to suggest disablement specifically of Tapatalk signatures, but with it would come the responsibility of enforcement, and we have concerns about putting up a rule we aren't actively ready to take upon ourselves to enforce.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Thank you so much for your investigation.
In this case, I also agree that the appropriate action is mostly choice number 4. Let it be.
For the hybrid approach between 1 and 4, I believe your solution adds too much work on the mods.

In my opinion, just list the "Suggestion" of "Tapatalk App > Me > Settings > Signature > Toggle Disable" somewhere in the rule or in a topic.
This way, if any user want someone to turn off their signature then they can point into this suggestion in the forum rule. And we do not need the mod to enforce it because it's just a suggestion, not a rule.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

Done. Thanks for the suggestion. In reviewing the rules, I should consider buttoning up some of the wording but it'll suffice as it currently stands for now.

Inserted the following category to the rules. Feel free to (gently and kindly) poke people about this privately as you see fit. Most people aren't keeping it enabled on purpose and it's not their fault that Tapatalk inserts advertisement by default. ;)

Hopefully this will be something that the community can help keep clean up organically as new users come in via Mobile.
Tapatalk App Users
  • Disable the default Tapatalk signature: "Tapatalk App > Me > Settings > Signature > Toggle Disable"
  • This is to help keep the forum tidy with relevant cycling-related info only.
  • Personalized signatures are allowed, with guidelines defined below.