Making Weight Weenies a Better Place

News, announcements and discussions about Weight Weenies. (members, please do not start topics in here.)

Moderator: maxim809

SuperDave
in the industry
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:57 am
Location: San Juan Bautista, CA
Contact:

by SuperDave

RyanH wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:43 pm
There's been some things that have gone on recently that I feel it's appropriate to open a discussion about what we all can do together to make Weight Weenies a better place. The most important thing is to remember that we are a community and we are all responsible to help shape this community into what we'd like it to be.

With that being said, I do want to address the idea that "Weight Weenies is not the place it used to be." That may be true, but the internet is not the same place it used to be either. The internet has evolved into a more hostile place than it used to be, and this forum is not immune from it. There used to be industry engineers on this forum and individuals like djconnel that would analyze, compute and quantify everything. SuperDave came back for a brief period a year or two ago, as did Damon Rinard. They left again. Not because this forum is no longer about dremeling parts, but because users have become more hostile. These types of behaviors are what we need to root out. As moderators, we cannot read every thread and keep up with everything. It's everyone's job to call out inappropriate behavior and/or flag it. Flagging is the tool that helps us moderate and keep things in check.

I need to discuss with the other moderators of what our policy will be to address the tone issues, as I think it's an increasing problem with everyone on edge dealing with the fallout of COVID but most likely it will be a zero tolerance policy of everyone involved gets a vacation.

So, what else can we do as a community to improve the forum?
Appreciate the nod. I'm pretty thick-skinned but you're right that there seems to be a move toward how loud you can shout rather than the topic you're shouting about. Good luck, always available by email or Direct Message.

-SD

teufelhunden222
Posts: 92
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:16 pm

by teufelhunden222

Hey man, I got an email from google saying that my pw and login info was made public becuase of a starbike.com data breech. Not sure how deep it goes. My username and pw are similar in a few places. So that was concerning. Just relaying-David
[img]<iframe%20height='160'%20width='300'%20frameborder='0'%20allowtransparency='true'%20scrolling='no'%20src='http://app.strava.com/athletes/1677950/activity-summary/ddf436fc1ca509b20d4637cfa80c928da771d2c6'></iframe>[/img]

by Weenie


tinozee
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:53 am

by tinozee

I got the same email re: password breach. And the site (here) is not letting me change the password.

RyanH
Moderator
Posts: 2879
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:01 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Contact:

by RyanH

tinozee wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:55 pm
I got the same email re: password breach. And the site (here) is not letting me change the password.
If you're having trouble with the change password, a workaround could be to use the Forgot password button on login. That does work.
Strava
Not for the sensitive types. My Instagram reviews
The Ex's: I've lost track...

tinozee
Posts: 763
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:53 am

by tinozee

That worked to change the PW.

AnkitS
Posts: 1457
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:03 am
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Contact:

by AnkitS

More brand influenced censoring over at this thread here. I understand why dudemanppl removed the post but NMX deleting the reupload was uncalled for.

I'm out of here, this forum is pretty much useless. If companies can lean on mods to delete any topic they want removed, what's the point of this forum. First Juan with the trek thread and now NMX. There's no accountability for mods. I didn't break any rules and it's obvious there was some backhanded crap from Fox.

Also, shout out to Sean Estes from the Fox Marketing team for threatening me in instagram dms. Very cute.
Why I quit WW. Bike updates all on instagram

User avatar
robbosmans
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:40 pm
Location: Belgium
Contact:

by robbosmans

Don’t go :(

Unreleased stuff is always tricky, but if it is leaked it shouldn’t be removed

User avatar
synchronicity
Posts: 2019
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:41 pm
Location: Moruya, Australia
Contact:

by synchronicity

Okay, in the past few months, I have been made to feel a little unwelcome. In the first instance, this:
AnkitS wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:16 am
Another useless post. Thanks synchronicity, what would we do without you here to grace us with your invaluable opinion and superior intellect.
Well okay, it's his opinion of me. It's still a personal insult though isn't it?
How does this behavior contribute to the forum exactly? :|
Attacking hookless technology is one thing, attacking other forum members should not be tolerated.

I reported it. Nothing happened. He got away with it.

And then shortly afterwards, this:
Andrew69 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:53 am
If youve got something to say to me, come out and say it.
But say it to my face. Im only a few hours drive from you and would be happy to come for a drive to sort out your attitude for you
COVID rage! :shock: All because of what? Because I whinged about how long the vaccine is taking in Australia (I still have not been vaccinated). Anyway this does bother me because it is a direct threat to come to my house and get violent. This is not okay because it would be relatively easy to find out my address.

Again, I reported it. Nothing happened. He got away with it. I mean that is an indirect threat to physically attack me. It's not okay.

Lastly, this recent thread from yesterday:
welchy wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:08 pm
Goddamn Brexit, if I couldn't be more frustrated with something it's Brexit, impacting everything I do in work and now in play. I wish the idiots who voted to leave could be banished to a deep deep pit so the rest of us who love Europe could get along.

If political opinions are not allowed, fine, whatever.
I see all my replies were quickly deleted, censored.
But why is that content still there? :noidea:
Do you realise he just called 17.5 million people "idiots"?

If it continues, I have considered leaving the forum, yes.
I joined 15 years ago. :|
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

Andrew69
Posts: 364
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:52 am
Location: ɹǝpunuʍop

by Andrew69

synchronicity wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 9:49 am
Okay, in the past few months, I have been made to feel a little unwelcome. In the first instance, this:
AnkitS wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:16 am
Another useless post. Thanks synchronicity, what would we do without you here to grace us with your invaluable opinion and superior intellect.
Well okay, it's his opinion of me. It's still a personal insult though isn't it?
How does this behavior contribute to the forum exactly? :|
Attacking hookless technology is one thing, attacking other forum members should not be tolerated.

I reported it. Nothing happened. He got away with it.

And then shortly afterwards, this:
Andrew69 wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:53 am
If youve got something to say to me, come out and say it.
But say it to my face. Im only a few hours drive from you and would be happy to come for a drive to sort out your attitude for you
COVID rage! :shock: All because of what? Because I whinged about how long the vaccine is taking in Australia (I still have not been vaccinated). Anyway this does bother me because it is a direct threat to come to my house and get violent. This is not okay because it would be relatively easy to find out my address.

Again, I reported it. Nothing happened. He got away with it. I mean that is an indirect threat to physically attack me. It's not okay.

Lastly, this recent thread from yesterday:
welchy wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 3:08 pm
Goddamn Brexit, if I couldn't be more frustrated with something it's Brexit, impacting everything I do in work and now in play. I wish the idiots who voted to leave could be banished to a deep deep pit so the rest of us who love Europe could get along.

If political opinions are not allowed, fine, whatever.
I see all my replies were quickly deleted, censored.
But why is that content still there? :noidea:
Do you realise he just called 17.5 million people "idiots"?

If it continues, I have considered leaving the forum, yes.
I joined 15 years ago. :|
Please dont take this as a person attack as it is certainly not meant to be

I have no idea about the other posts you took offence to, but I was given a warning.
Perhaps if your opinion is at odds with so many other people, WW may longer be the place for you?? :noidea:

Im certainly not saying you should leave (and despite our differences, I hope you dont, because a variety of opinions is what makes life interesting and how we all learn and grow as people), but people change and forums evolve, so either the forum members also evolve or move on to other forums that suit their interests better.
I know there are a few forums I no longer post to because they have changed such that I no longer have a common interest with the current members

USAisDOA
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri May 21, 2021 3:39 pm

by USAisDOA

Perhaps if your opinion is at odds with so many other people, WW may longer be the place for you?? :noidea: writes andrew69

You should get more fresh air. Riding a bike accomplishes this...your snarky keyboard nonsense is why this venue now sucks. You and so many on this net today waste soooo much time....saying nothing.. of merit.
I believe almost nothing I read and 'hear'

I believe roughly half of what I see with my own eyes.. in person.

I do not carbon.. anything


:nospamhere:

maxim809
Moderator
Posts: 527
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:28 am

by maxim809

USAisDOA wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 3:31 am
Perhaps if your opinion is at odds with so many other people, WW may longer be the place for you?? :noidea: writes andrew69

You should get more fresh air. Riding a bike accomplishes this...your snarky keyboard nonsense is why this venue now sucks. You and so many on this net today waste soooo much time....saying nothing.. of merit.
Hi USA, first, welcome. Andrew's comment, though controversial, was not mean spirited. Meanwhile you are calling him snarky as the basis of your argument when instead you could have offered constructive thoughts that build on his point about having a look at yourself.

It's an important one about knowing where you stand. It's not good to attack people at a personal level just because you don't like their ideas.

USAisDOA
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri May 21, 2021 3:39 pm

by USAisDOA

I choose not to enter a contest about how high we can wet the bush.

I'll stand by my comment
I believe almost nothing I read and 'hear'

I believe roughly half of what I see with my own eyes.. in person.

I do not carbon.. anything


:nospamhere:

maxim809
Moderator
Posts: 527
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:28 am

by maxim809

Thank you for disengaging!

USAisDOA
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri May 21, 2021 3:39 pm

by USAisDOA

So this morning I'm browsing through and come across the thread about Calnago passing. It's a dark, crappy day outside which matches my now mood precisely.

So I post here now with this thought/suggestion: when you hit send/submit here.. or anywhere for that matter: think of the class that man exhibited. Emulating him is a goal for all of us.

Heart health watch: in the end lifelong insulin levels are a huge factor in our health. The phenomenon triggers a cascade of negative health effects. Big pharma and actually corporate medicine does not really care.. it's up to each individual to manage their own health.
I believe almost nothing I read and 'hear'

I believe roughly half of what I see with my own eyes.. in person.

I do not carbon.. anything


:nospamhere:

by Weenie


Post Reply