Making Weight Weenies a Better Place

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
Cycomanic

by Cycomanic

Konsi wrote:How to make the forum a better place? Maybe not letting such misogynistic threads run like this one viewtopic.php?f=3&t=164006

Sometimes it feels like this is an all male forum where lockerroom talk is tolerated, not a place I feel comfortable ...
Completely agree Konsi. I do think there is also quite a bit of discreptancy here, where some bad threads and discussions go on without any moderator intervention while some other posts get come down hard on very quickly. I believe it's a combination of moderator "prejudice" (which I don't mean negatively here, everyone has them) and moderators simply not being able to be everywhere. I think both of these would be helped by expending the moderator team (I think there are only 3!).

I also agree that there should be better transparency about bans. Instead of deleting I would argue it would be better to leave posts standing and lock the threads/posts with a message.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

If you have ever felt unhappy about a topic on weight weenies, please use the report function in the thread. It is the exclamation mark top right in the post. Please click it and walk through the steps. Now you have notified the Moderator team of your discontent.

Thanks!
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

DHG01

by DHG01

In order to make this forum (or any environment) a better place, we have to put a special effort on being respectful towards others. If something could offend, try to avoid. We might miss out intelligent sarcasm and humour, but we will win in more people feeling welcome and comfortable.

Alongside being respectful, I think we need to be tolerant and avoid being easily offended. If someone else writes something, instead of interpreting words literally, lets try to think of what the intentions are.

DHG01

by DHG01

Konsi wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:25 am
How to make the forum a better place? Maybe not letting such misogynistic threads run like this one viewtopic.php?f=3&t=164006

Sometimes it feels like this is an all male forum where lockerroom talk is tolerated, not a place I feel comfortable ...
And this is an example where I think we need to feel less offended. The referenced thread is not one I really liked; fundamentally because there is not much bike talk. But that is what tolerance is about - accepting what is different and what you do not like.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Rather than this thread turning into what's not good about the forum it would be great if people had postive ideas on things we could implement or add.

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

It's a positive that MrCurrieinahurry (formerly know as Currieinahurry) was added as a moderator. :beerchug:

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Cheers HT :)

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Leviathan

by Leviathan

The biggest single issue, IMHO, is a number of heavy posters with entrenched positions on issues which to them, appear incredibly important, wheras the rest of us couldn't give two figs- be it some sort of anti-anglosaxon racist spout on how bad Braislford is, or the need for all high quality cycling equipment to be made in Italy, why such and such a pro is a douche, justifying their own aerodynamci research or, god forbid, disc vs rim or campagnolo vs shimano.
This makes it boring and pointless for people with genunine knowledge (not me, but I do know some real world people who do post on here) and hence the forum becomes a simple "yes it is /no it isnt" slamging match rendolent of the last 3 years of my now defiunct marriage

My point being that the best moderators can do to improve the place is to prune back, re-educate and, if necessary, short term ban those who view the fourm as thir own playground of indulgence, as opposed to be a place to share, celebrate and learn,
Reminding people that frankly if you cant convince someone of your opinion in the first two posts it aint gonna happen, and reminding them that opinions are like a**holes, is I agree a pretty daunting task, but just as primary school teachers end up spending most of their time and efforts with the most troublesome kids, I think the mods need to focus on the bad more than the good, to avoid many long term posters deciding that, frankly, its just not worth it.

Konsi

by Konsi

DHG01 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:36 pm
Konsi wrote:
How to make the forum a better place? Maybe not letting such misogynistic threads run like this one viewtopic.php?f=3&t=164006

And this is an example where I think we need to feel less offended. The referenced thread is not one I really liked; fundamentally because there is not much bike talk. But that is what tolerance is about - accepting what is different and what you do not like.
I have no tolerance for misogyny or racism. It seems the forum consensus (or Starbike?) sees this differently, but I will look for other places to talk about bikes then.

DHG01

by DHG01

Konsi wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:07 pm
DHG01 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:36 pm
Konsi wrote:

I have no tolerance for misogyny or racism. It seems the forum consensus (or Starbike?) sees this differently, but I will look for other places to talk about bikes then.
I hope not; you post beautiful pics.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Once again, report the posts you're unhappy with and we will do our best to clean them up.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Leviathan wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:09 pm
The biggest single issue, IMHO, is a number of heavy posters with entrenched positions on issues which to them, appear incredibly important, wheras the rest of us couldn't give two figs- be it some sort of anti-anglosaxon racist spout on how bad Braislford is, or the need for all high quality cycling equipment to be made in Italy, why such and such a pro is a douche, justifying their own aerodynamci research or, god forbid, disc vs rim or campagnolo vs shimano.
This makes it boring and pointless for people with genunine knowledge (not me, but I do know some real world people who do post on here) and hence the forum becomes a simple "yes it is /no it isnt" slamging match rendolent of the last 3 years of my now defiunct marriage
Without barely posting on here in years, I am certain I know some of whom you're referring to. It's almost as if the saying "as the facts change I change my mind" has never entered their orbit. And the discource is all the more tediuous for it.

Also really sorry to hear about the marriage mate.

madik

by madik

Can be something done with the double posts as its extremely common issue on WW lately?
Functionality > Performance > Weight

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Click on the exclamation point in the post and report it to the moderators.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

borist

by borist

Not a lot of posting, but I have been reading for many years.... this time included a break and I can certainly see a change from when I started here.

One thing that comes to mind is quality over quantity - maybe it's that people can only post one reply in a topic every 24 hours? This might help diversify contributers but also avoid the back and forth between two people that often derails threads.

I do agree with the above points about the new "pandemic posters". Seems lots of people are now keen to sign up and begin ranting... could we introduce some timeframes that mean people need to pass a "probation" period before coming a contributer? Maybe they can only post every 72 hours? I beleive post minimums exist for the classifieds, but it's now more of a problem in the general threads.

Thanks for this thread and the open dialogue - also all the unpaid work the moderators do.