Making Weight Weenies a Better Place

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
dgasmd

by dgasmd

The 2020 Pro Thread, Campagnolo 12 sp, the tubular thread are prime
Examples of a bunch of
People than only interpret and see the world from a narrow pipe type of view. Arguing about minutia almost with the Rainman capacity of senseless nip picking.

I have been here a while. Check frequently, read some, but hardly ever contribute much as I have learned not only that it leads to senseless arguments that only seem to be interested in hearing what feeds their argumentative needs but also leads to people going on amazing tangents!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Orbital

by Orbital

I applaud the fact that mods are opening a dialogue with us users. This is the only forum I visit regularly anymore because it’s very civil compared to a lot of other forums I used to visit. So for me, just the fact that this thread is happening is amazing.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Orbital wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:12 am
I applaud the fact that mods are opening a dialogue with us users. This is the only forum I visit regularly anymore because it’s very civil compared to a lot of other forums I used to visit. So for me, just the fact that this thread is happening is amazing.
But it's the exact opposite reason why this thread currently exists. In the past the mods have nuked threads and replies without explanation nor leaving any trace that they were there in the first place. With the recent Trek Emonda debacle, Juan deleted a thread without explanation and as such literally 3 more threads popped up in different sub forums, some without realising why the first was taken down and others refusing to bow to marketing BS. The same thing just happened with iamking's departure, deleting all evidence as to why he left. Users who area out of the loop will come back, see no explanation from him or the mods and the cycle will repeat. Can I please just ask that the mods edit posts instead of deleting and leave an actual reason for removal? Any more serious reasons for removal need a PM to the relevant parties.

I realise this is extra work but surely there are other users out there that are willing to step up and be moderators.

tifosiman

by tifosiman

I really enjoy this forum, particularly for the builds and the discussion / scoops on new bikes and tech. I’ve only been a member for 2 years but I regularly read posts for years before becoming a member.

I find that the biggest issues are the people who have their pet axes to grind and drag every topic back to these - e.g. disc vs rim brakes, aero only being a ‘marketing gimmick’, any frame / wheelset manufactured in the far east being inherently bad compared to anything European etc.

Some needlessly combative moderators - one in particular who was mentioned in a recent farewell post - who escalate issues and arguments and practice some heavy gatekeeping really don’t help either. I know mods have a lot to keep up with but when they start slinging sh*t it doesn’t set a great example for how the rest of the forum users should conduct themselves.

I think the best thing we can all do to improve the forum is just to chill out a bit - if something or someone is pissing you off just walk away and do something else on your computer, and just take a breath before you post an angry reply. We’re only talking about bikes at the end of the day, as much as we love them.

The ability to mute a member so you don’t have see their posts (much like you can on twitter) would also really help, at least then we’re not forced to see the same repeat offenders sprouting their nonsense all the time.

kgt

by kgt

icantaffordcycling wrote:
kgt wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:48 am
- All these new forum members who are practically working on marketing departments and post only to promote a specific brand. Not an easy thing to do, I know, but if you don;t likehalf of the new posts being about Specialized's new products then try to do something about it.
You do the exact same thing for look/time and lightweight, for at least as long as I have browsed this forum, why the double standard for people who are loyal to a different brand?
You forget that I also started the Wilier club thread, the Cipollini club thread, and have contributed with thousands of posts since 2006.
I also love Colnagos (I have one), Campagnolo, Corima, Basso, Assos, Santini and many other brands (search my posts). I have even admired many Cannondale, Specialized and Trek bikes of other forum members although I don’t like the philosophies of these brands (see my posts again). And, btw, I don’t work at the cycling industry as others do without saying so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stendhal

by Stendhal

kgt wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:07 am
icantaffordcycling wrote:
kgt wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:48 am
- All these new forum members who are practically working on marketing departments and post only to promote a specific brand. Not an easy thing to do, I know, but if you don;t likehalf of the new posts being about Specialized's new products then try to do something about it.
You do the exact same thing for look/time and lightweight, for at least as long as I have browsed this forum, why the double standard for people who are loyal to a different brand?
You forget that I also started the Wilier club thread, the Cipollini club thread, and have contributed with thousands of posts since 2006.
I also love Colnagos (I have one), Campagnolo, Corima, Basso, Assos, Santini and many other brands (search my posts). I have even admired many Cannondale, Specialized and Trek bikes of other forum members although I don’t like the philosophies of these brands (see my posts again). And, btw, I don’t work at the cycling industry as others do without saying so.

kgt, I like your on the road posts and was a fellow TIME owner once, but I don't see the evidence of "work at the cycling industry as others do without saying so." There are several posters who have "In the Industry" in their left hand column tag lines, or a bike company logo. We know who they are. As to the unidentifieds, how do you know?

There'd be more TIME posts if TIME released more new models. Perhaps with the ownership change, it will.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

kgt

by kgt

My impression is that there are forum members who are here just in order to promote specific companies and their agendas. I might be wrong but there are many members with very few posts all being about a specific brand.
Of course, I don’t expect the number of posts about Time or Basso to equal those about Specialized or Trek. I prefer some brands to remain special and exclusive TBH :)
I just don’t want to see half of the threads being about two or three specific brands and their new models. This forum used to be much more open and diverse IMHO.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Moderator Note: off topic

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Moderator Note: off topic

okimy

by okimy

Let's not let this thread go off topic, we have to start somewhere in making this a better place.

Let's start here

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

tifosiman wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:06 am
Some needlessly combative moderators - one in particular who was mentioned in a recent farewell post - who escalate issues and arguments and practice some heavy gatekeeping really don’t help either. I know mods have a lot to keep up with but when they start slinging sh*t it doesn’t set a great example for how the rest of the forum users should conduct themselves.
I was going to stay out of this, but given the quoted comment and others I'm going to say my piece.

You might not like what I posted in my thread about my bike or about weightweenieism and I'm not even going to go there because it's not the main topic and I'll probably not choose to post again here for reasons others have mentioned (and the KIA's are killing it).

As for moderating. Imaking left after several posts were reported in the same thread. When I read through, it was what amounted to a "pissing contest" between 2 members, neither of whom started the topic. NOT THE FIRST TIME that happened. You may not like my posts, but the moderator part I take very seriously and try to see all 3 sides to the story before deciding what to do. I did in fact, issue a ban for BOTH people involved and it was for 2 days, not a week, not a month, just enough to cool it off and send a message (even though this was not the first time it happened).
I don't consider that heavy handed at all for multiple offenses (same violation each time). Several years ago much longer bans would have been issued by some of the older moderators (they're no longer here).

One member contacted me and said no hard feelings and the other, well, some people do their thing.

Once again. 3 sides to every story - yours, mine and the truth.
Speedplay is the devil!

RyanH

by RyanH

Mdeth does a lot of the moderating on here to keep the forum clean and as friendly as possible. Something that mostly goes unseen and more or less unappreciated. It's a bit hard to comprehend choosing to pick a fight with him when he's contributing greatly to making the place you enjoy better.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Id just like to remind certain people who love me here, my attitude hasn't changed in all the years I've been here, the only difference is now theres an emoji beside my name. Why? Because I occupy a time zone that was being hammered by bots and would spend an hour + a day cleaning the dumpster fire up. If you think you can do a better job and stay completely neutral on every topic when you get hammered for opening your mouth both in the threads and in PMs then step up.

Or we can just go back the the old days, use the Mod sub forum to discuss user attitudes and posts and roll the BanHammer out with 4 week minimum holidays and I'll just cop the abuse on the chin for being the bad guy. Hell I've done it half a dozen times in the last month for peoples blatant disregard for the forum.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

godzuki26

by godzuki26

I never really understood why people get so heated over topics that relate to bicycles. Most of us on this forum are not Professional riders but hobbyists. So why get so upset over something that is supposed to bring you joy on your spare time? Most of my time is spent on the Introduce Yourself board index because I like seeing people post their bikes. Why do discussions about rim vs disc or gravel gear ratio end up turning into pure nastiness? Who gives a crap! It's a hobby and you should do what you like and do what works best for you. It is sad to see a member who contributed quite a bit leave the forum. A dude who logged an enormous amount of solo miles on all kinds of equipment (frames, stems, wheel sets,tires, brakes, handlebars, seat posts , saddles, chain rings, crank sets, etc) that gave real use feedback on what works for HIM and what doesn't work for HIM. If someone doesn't agree with the stuff you do, just shrug it off and continue doing what you love. I will continue building unrideable cringe worthy fragile bikes because I like doing it. If someone doesn't agree with what I post, then I respectfully read their comments and simply continue doing what I want to do. I don't need to validate what I want to do on my spare time with anyone......well except for my wife :mrgreen:
:arrow: BH Ultralight
:arrow: Litespeed Ghisallo
:arrow: Scott Addict Singlespeed

ImageCannondale Evo HiMod
ImageFelt AR FRD

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

What can make this place better again.... If stuff already goes on like this I apologies only been back after a 14 year lay off...

The listings.
Some pro inputs (adam hansen) used to post on here prob others too which I found interesting.
Some competitions.
Organise some meet ups. Even just a yearly one in different areas of the world.

Tikka

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Curryinahurry