Does weight weenism annoy people?

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
calicyclist

by calicyclist

Weight weenism annoys certain people online. See the bicyclingcirclejerk sub on Reddit for a good example.

To add some other commentary to questions/statements I've seen in this thread...as a quite new WW forum member, I didn't join specifically because of WWism. I joined because when I was searching about advanced and unique components to consider adding to my bike this forum continued to come up more than any other one and I kept finding engaging discussions here with more activity than I've seen elsewhere. Go ask about an OSPW system on Reddit and you will have countless people making fun of you and reposting your stuff in the bcj subreddit mentioned above. Here there are varying opinions but at least someone can just say hey it makes me happy or it's jewelry and people accept that.

There are component brands discussed on this forum that I don't see discussed anywhere else and it's cool to hear about what people are doing to try and save weight and learn about new brands. There are also over 600 hundred of pages dedicated to just discussing the new Di2 stuff. You don't see that kind of engagement about this stuff on the rest of the web.

As far as my personal WWism, I am just interested in riding nice looking bikes that perform well, move fast, and have some uniqueness and personality to them. Weight is not the end all be all for me as aero seems to have a bigger impact overall on rides. But I am also willing to spend extra money on certain things even if they have marginal gains which seems to fit the mentality of a lot of others here based on responses in this thread. Whether other people can understand it, I don't care. Once you reach a certain age and have a nice house & car spending money on bike parts can be a nice way to get the dopamine release some get from buying stuff while also having a good return - more motivation to ride a lot and get/remain fitter.
Argonaut RM3 | Pivot Trail 429

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

poulhansen wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:47 pm
If you make a non cycle nerd lift your lightweight bike, they show a bit of surprise and interest for 10 seconds, then they go on talking about anything else. They are not annoyed, only surprised especially if you tell them the ridiculous price it cost you. :D
It really doesn't matter if it's a bike or components of a high end hifi system, some parts for a boat, car, motorcycle or whatever.
All that turns to the higher end of things cost more money. And frankly if you have a bike super light, people will tell other people and they will talk of it, even if for a short time. The same is for all else (expensive) hobby related.
An aero bike and it's gains will be a much harder pill to swallow as the facts around time saved, is ridiculous for all people outside cycling when facts are on the table.
It would be different if you would pass me by spinning way more easy, eating a candy bar and picking your nose. For that, you need a powered bike.
Anyway, my OCD has never been about impressing anyone but my own curiousity. You can't impress anyone really, because 99% think you're an idiot :shock: :lol:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calicyclist

by calicyclist

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:01 am
An aero bike and it's gains will be a much harder pill to swallow as the facts around time saved, is ridiculous for all people outside cycling when facts are on the table.
You think an aero bike's gains is harder to justify than a light bike?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

calicyclist wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:07 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:01 am
You think an aero bike's gains is harder to justify than a light bike?
You did probably not read all of it?
If you had been taking in all i wrote instead of picking just a tiny bit, you probably would have understood what i tried to tell!?

But i can clarify it for you, Does WW:ism annoy people (people as in not cyclists) was the question.
I wrote that most people, not born so young the brain isn't developed, knows the concept of light weight when it comes to bikes.
It's been a concept for ages!

The typical questions from these people are these.
* What does it weight
* Is it carbon
* What does it cost

It's probably why most designs of late is more tuned towards a mix of light weight and aero instead of full blown aero (you can never rinse away the fact that weight is so worked in).
Justify a purchase talking aero vs light weight is probably something that makes more sense to a cyclist who are reading about developments.

If you say, no it's more weight than my buddies super light carbon bike. But hey, it's an aero-rocket.
Ok, so what kind of speed are we talking about.
Lots, perhaps 40 sek if you ride like you're on fire for 2 hours.
People would deem you crazy as in their minds gains is when you clearly pass me by with little to no effort.
And again, that isn't really what an aero bike will add. For that you'd need a motor on your bike.

Do you get it?

I don't need to justify anything as long as i pay it. That is a fact!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

calicyclist

by calicyclist

LoL I wasn't trying to pick a fight here at all just that part of your comment intrigued me. Feel like if I was talking to a random stranger I would feel it easier to explain about why I wasted dumb money on my bike for aero versus weight because non-bike people don't typically know the new philosophy around aero and when you can offer this new perspective in terms of changing consesus among researchers then people may be more open to changing their current viewpoint.

You don't need to justify anything at all as long as it doesn't impact anyone else.