New Emonda Thread

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
hlvd

by hlvd

izzo wrote:
hlvd wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:22 pm
I’ve two Emondas, SL and ALR. The SL is smoother than the aluminium ALR.
When things get hot in the mountains, I want all the power projected on the road and I dont care about smoothness of the ride,...specially when ligtweight carbon rims with tubulars mounted on, with some 13-14 bar pressure in them :)

So with your statement said, can I assume that carbon frame is more flexible to absorb shocks? But on the other side ALU beeing stiffer with less power loss from legs->road?

If that is so, then ALU is actually better choice for climbers? What about weight are they comparable?
I don’t think that’s the case otherwise all the pros would be on aluminium.

The SL is more comfortable, and I suspect stiffer.

I don’t think it’s more flexible to a absorb shocks, from what I read carbon absorbs road buzz much better.

13 to 14 bar is ridiculously high pressure, I’m surprised the tyre stays on the rim?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Unniti

by Unniti

izzo wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 6:40 am
hlvd wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 6:22 pm
I’ve two Emondas, SL and ALR. The SL is smoother than the aluminium ALR.
When things get hot in the mountains, I want all the power projected on the road and I dont care about smoothness of the ride,...specially when ligtweight carbon rims with tubulars mounted on, with some 13-14 bar pressure in them :)

So with your statement said, can I assume that carbon frame is more flexible to absorb shocks? But on the other side ALU beeing stiffer with less power loss from legs->road?

If that is so, then ALU is actually better choice for climbers? What about weight are they comparable?
Comfort equals more power over any extended period. And 13 - 14 bar pressure is about double what you should be running anywhere outside a velodrome.

izzo

by izzo

With my collegues around 12 bar pressure is a standard that we put into tubulars (Tufo Elite Jet-presribes 15bars max),....of course when competing up hill,....downhill its tricky and we dont compete,....
Why would less be better?

Unniti

by Unniti

Better rolling resistance when not riding on perfectly smooth wooden velodrome.

okimy

by okimy

izzo wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 8:17 am
With my collegues around 12 bar pressure is a standard that we put into tubulars (Tufo Elite Jet-presribes 15bars max),....of course when competing up hill,....downhill its tricky and we dont compete,....
Why would less be better?
So picture yourself riding over a rougher road surface with high pressure. You'll feel vibrations, in this case the small upward and downward movement of your bike underneath you. This means that you're not just using the power from your legs to propel you forward, but also upward - to get over the bumps.

If you were running lower pressures, your tires would deform over the bumps and absorb them. This means no upward movement and more power available to propel you forward.

That's the theory. In practise there is a sweet spot for this, as you have to account for increasing rolling resistance with lower pressures and you might be worried about punctures.
I hope this helps

izzo

by izzo

ok all crear!
So the question is how much pressure then, 10 bars or even less?