Weightweenies website update, Febuary 2018

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
nmx

by nmx

Sorry we had some problems with webhosting technique during last time (like every year, once went to holiday everything breaks down :D; of course without doing/changing anything at all)... I just checked some things and wasn't be able to find any things which are currently not working.
glepore wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:33 pm
Something in the latest firefox update doesn't play well with this board, loads slow and pages disappear after loaded...
Does this problem still exist?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nmx

by nmx

MayhemSWE wrote:
Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:31 am
When viewing a thread in the new mobile version of the site, user names at the top left of posts (underneath the avatar if there is one) seem to be truncated after only about 7-8 characters (or rather a certain number of pixels) despite there being plenty of free white space to the edit/report/quote buttons on the right.

IMG_1890.png
Thanks for the hint. Should be better now. (please refresh website completely)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@nmx... too bad about whatever happened to the website a week or so ago. So glad you got it sorted. In the meantime, I've held off on my comments re the TIMELINE view until I've had more time to see if it's ok. At this point, all it's doing is listing all posts in descending chronological order. Whenever I use this view, it means I'm just looking for a specific thread that I've viewed already and want to revisit again. Since it won't appear in "new posts" the Timeline view would allow me to find it fairly fast. And it's often faster than trying to do a "search" in WW, especially if you can't remember some unique search criterea specific to the thread. So, what I was really hoping for was a Timeline using the last post date in each thread as the sort criteria, then listing just the thread titles uniquely.

Today provides a good example of what happens if you just list all posts in descending order. There's a bunch of posts being posted to the Pro Cycling Thread. That's fine... but I would want to see just one line in the Timeline view for this thread, with the last post date to that thread being the sorting criteria. Does that make sense? As it is now, theres a bunch of posts to the thread and each one will show up as a separate line in the Timeline view. Tapatalk does this view very well. I've always wished WW would do this too. It can't be that difficult if you understand what's trying to be achieved. I hope I've explained ti better this time as to what I'd like to see in the Timeline view.

By the way, I've alwasy wondered what you guys get out of maintaining these forums. Is it sales through Starbike that supports the forum? Advertising certainly helps I'm sure. But it seems there's probably a lot of unpaid volunteer labors of love going on as well. If so, thanks doubly so for your efforts and all those that volunteer their time to make this a decent place to post great builds etc.

Cal
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Conza

by Conza

Can the notifications - icons in the forum view be improved? Specifically made clearer - so I can see what threads I have posted in - when viewing all the "new posts" ? :o
It's all about the adventure :o .

nmx

by nmx

Hi Cal
Calnago wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:39 pm
@nmx... too bad about whatever happened to the website a week or so ago. So glad you got it sorted. In the meantime, I've held off on my comments re the TIMELINE view until I've had more time to see if it's ok. At this point, all it's doing is listing all posts in descending chronological order. Whenever I use this view, it means I'm just looking for a specific thread that I've viewed already and want to revisit again. Since it won't appear in "new posts" the Timeline view would allow me to find it fairly fast. And it's often faster than trying to do a "search" in WW, especially if you can't remember some unique search criterea specific to the thread. So, what I was really hoping for was a Timeline using the last post date in each thread as the sort criteria, then listing just the thread titles uniquely.

Today provides a good example of what happens if you just list all posts in descending order. There's a bunch of posts being posted to the Pro Cycling Thread. That's fine... but I would want to see just one line in the Timeline view for this thread, with the last post date to that thread being the sorting criteria. Does that make sense? As it is now, theres a bunch of posts to the thread and each one will show up as a separate line in the Timeline view. Tapatalk does this view very well. I've always wished WW would do this too. It can't be that difficult if you understand what's trying to be achieved. I hope I've explained ti better this time as to what I'd like to see in the Timeline view.
Cal
Please see the screenshot. Does this go into your direction? Now the timeline is "grouped" by topic_id. So the "double" postings are sorted right behind. Furtherly, I could also "fade" the following doubles to lower opacity.
Reason for us is to keep the modifications as small as possible hence I ask you that many times if it equals your demands. Or should it explicitely only display the last chronological post from specific topic?
Calnago wrote:
By the way, I've alwasy wondered what you guys get out of maintaining these forums. Is it sales through Starbike that supports the forum? Advertising certainly helps I'm sure. But it seems there's probably a lot of unpaid volunteer labors of love going on as well. If so, thanks doubly so for your efforts and all those that volunteer their time to make this a decent place to post great builds etc.
Cal
Well there are many advantages. Most important point is that there is a very strong symbiosis between our upper-end cycling retail store and the community. We have lots of WW members ordering stuff from us because they become aware of us through WW board, simply enjoying WW discount (p.s. there is in some cases also more % possible when order value raises) or decide for us as vendor in case to "donate" something to WW project. :D

Guest users who are not logged-in do also see some Google ads (members do not see).

And some specific banners are also shown to WW members as you can see on top. (for example the fairwheelbikes/madcow banner; but no spam).

So we have plenty of reasons to try to provide best user experience. :beerchug:
Attachments
Unbenannt.JPG

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

nmx wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:36 am
Hi Cal
Calnago wrote:

Cal
Please see the screenshot. Does this go into your direction? Now the timeline is "grouped" by topic_id. So the "double" postings are sorted right behind. Furtherly, I could also "fade" the following doubles to lower opacity.
Reason for us is to keep the modifications as small as possible hence I ask you that many times if it equals your demands. Or should it explicitely only display the last chronological post from specific topic?
Yes, just one unique line for each topic, with the last post date as the final sort criteria. Don't even care if it displays the last post itself, just the topic titles so a quick scan of the topics is easy and quick. The same as the TIMELINE view in Tapatalk. Otherwise you're just listing all the posts in descending chronological order, doesn't matter if some or faded out or not. I use this view when I'm searching for one topic that I saw and read, but for whatever reason want to go back to it. This view seems the most efficient way of doing that.
Thanks
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

nmx

by nmx

Conza wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:19 pm
Can the notifications - icons in the forum view be improved? Specifically made clearer - so I can see what threads I have posted in - when viewing all the "new posts" ? :o
search.php?search_id=unreadposts&newposts=onlyresponses

Can you please check if this is what you are looing for? If yes, how many past days should be shown?

nmx

by nmx

Calnago wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:43 pm
Yes, just one unique line for each topic, with the last post date as the final sort criteria. Don't even care if it displays the last post itself, just the topic titles so a quick scan of the topics is easy and quick. The same as the TIMELINE view in Tapatalk. Otherwise you're just listing all the posts in descending chronological order, doesn't matter if some or faded out or not. I use this view when I'm searching for one topic that I saw and read, but for whatever reason want to go back to it. This view seems the most efficient way of doing that.
Thanks
Cal, please check the timeline (with STRG/CTRL+F5) and tell me what you think about. It is now like you want I guess but all is on one page as the pagination causes some problems. Can you please tell me wether you are encountering any performance problems with your (smartphone) browser?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

What does “STRG/CTRL” mean? Just did a Timeline view and jeez... if there’s a pic in the post one post can take almost an entire screen. Is there no way just to list a bunch of topic titles, one per line or something? Even with no pics there’s about 4 posts per screen on my laptop. Can’t even tell if it’s sorting and grouping properly. Probably not the best time when few posts are happening.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Hi Cal, STRG is a German abbreviation for CTRL or control on your keyboard.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

martinko

by martinko

It's the Control key on your keyboard, or STRG is the same key if you had Mac keyboard, I think. Press simultaneously Control with F5 to reload the site in your webbrowser.

Edit: Late and even wrong about the STRG :)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, that’s what I did... CTRL F5 (the STRG confused me). Then did the timeline. Ugh! Comments in my last post. Didn’t think this would be so hard. Sorry.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok... had another look this morning. It's fine the way it is. It's sorting and grouping exactly how I wanted it to in the Timeline view. Compared it to the veiw in Tapatalk and it is the same. Maybe there were just a whole lot of big pics in the last sort I did last night making it appear more "spaced out" than I'd like it. Tapatalk does seem to not restrict how far this view goes back however. At least it shows "999+" records in the view. I would hope you could go back at least maybe a month if possible. After that I'm sure I would have long forgotten about whatever it is I was looking for and why.

[EDIT]: Ok... here's what doesn't seem quite right. I just did a Quick Link for "New Posts", and thought... ok, this is the format I'd like to see in the Timeline as well. No text from the actual last, or any post... just a list of topics that I can quickly scan through. So, if you could make that one last change to the sort then that would be perfect.

nmx

by nmx

Calnago wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:24 pm
Ok... had another look this morning. It's fine the way it is. It's sorting and grouping exactly how I wanted it to in the Timeline view. Compared it to the veiw in Tapatalk and it is the same. Maybe there were just a whole lot of big pics in the last sort I did last night making it appear more "spaced out" than I'd like it. Tapatalk does seem to not restrict how far this view goes back however. At least it shows "999+" records in the view. I would hope you could go back at least maybe a month if possible. After that I'm sure I would have long forgotten about whatever it is I was looking for and why.

[EDIT]: Ok... here's what doesn't seem quite right. I just did a Quick Link for "New Posts", and thought... ok, this is the format I'd like to see in the Timeline as well. No text from the actual last, or any post... just a list of topics that I can quickly scan through. So, if you could make that one last change to the sort then that would be perfect.
Hi Cal,

made some basic changes. Can you please check again if you find any errors:

search.php?search_id=newposts&timeline= ... l&sr=posts

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nmx

by nmx

Conza wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:19 pm
Hi Conza,

made some basic changes. Can you please check again if you find any errors:

search.php?search_id=unreadposts&newposts=onlyresponses

P.S. you can also find this link at "Quick-links" box upper-left.