Cheated in a deal.

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
alpinestar

by alpinestar

Today i have just found out I have been scammed in a deal for a CAAD 10 frame.

I posted in the wanted ads that I was looking for a older CAAD frame. A guy contacts me via mail, not PM, about a CAAD10 frame in my size. He is in Sweeden, so shipping is cheap, and included in the price. At first his price was too much, then the price came down, and in the end I thought it was a good deal. I checked his user ID, on here, and could see that he had a good deal of closed deals, items listed for sale, marked as sold. No one mentioned anything bad about him, so I was lulled into fasle security. I was stupid enough to agree to banktransfer for the deal.
Today I find the actual pictures and the text he sent to me in a ebay auction from the US:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cannondale-Ca ... 7675.l2557

So clearly I have been cheated by this guy :(

I havent written the user ID of the user here, as I suspect that he just used that name for cover (admin is also emailed about this case) I have contected the user ID here and asked him about this.

I will report the case to the police later today, but I guess its just money gone! I just spoke with the bank, nothing they can do. Have to file a report to the police.

I have bought loads of stuff online, also used stuff through other boards and thought I was good at spotting a fake deal...guess not! :(

Take care out there!
Morten
Denmark

Morten
Den

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Sorry to hear you have been scammed, hopefully he/she gets their just reward. Karma will happen.
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

The cheater is banned from WW for now. sad to hear about your loss. I will pm you this week about this.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

alpinestar

by alpinestar

Thanks Frankie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alpinestar

by alpinestar

I have filed a report with the police in sweeden. Hope something can be done :(

velomane

by velomane

Please keep us updated as to what the police do.

alpinestar

by alpinestar

Turns out the user gwelu was also cheated by this scumbag!

Exact same story, He is writing a summary, and it will be added to the police report.

The user was hull80n, i travled the board for any bad news on this guy before buying, but unfortunately I dident find any. To me it would have helped if there was a shaming list on the board. What do people think about that?

Morten.

GaryOS

by GaryOS

Well I've just come over in a cold sweat.....

After transferring €800 to this user for a Campagnolo groupset, there has been over a week with no progress. The story above is very, very similar to mine. I searched beforehand and all looked OK with this seller. I started a new job this week & moved house so I haven't had a chance to chase it. Looks like a lost cause now!

Looks like I've been cheated too

alpinestar

by alpinestar

Oh no garry! Sad to hear! :( try to search eBay for your groupset! Try searching in Google for the exact wording he wrote to you. Thats how i found my frame. You can also look at the exif data on the pictures he sent if it somewhere says eBay the pictures are from eBay. If you want you can pm me with your story and I can add it to the police file! Perhaps we should create a thred of advices and tips to avoid scamming!

alpinestar

by alpinestar

One thing I can see this user has done is to copy the files and information from Ebay.
what he dosent realize is that when you upload a picture to eBay they add a comment in the meta data of the file. Something like
Processed By eBay with ImageMagick, z1.1.0. ||B2
You can check this by using this exif tool:
http://regex.info/exif.cgi

I just looked up the SRAM red add he had on the board, same thing there, as where the pictures he sent to me.

aerodynamiq

by aerodynamiq

Oh damn. Is there some sort of COD* payment that you can use for international trades?

*cash on delivery
velonode.cc

bdcheung

by bdcheung

For those who use PayPal, ONLY send funds as "Goods or Services" when paying for things from unknown people online. ONLY the "Goods or Services" transaction type has any sort of purchase protection.

toastie

by toastie

I belong to a collectors forum where high value items change hands on a daily basis for 000's of pounds, i myself have done bank transfers for a few thousand at a time and also sent items worth a few thousand out for the buyer to inspect before payment.
The sale section isn't that easy to access though as you have to be an active member for 6 months minimum before you can see it.

The best part is the feedback section called heroes and villains. every time you complete a deal with some one you add the user id as a new topic to the section and put your feedback either hero or villain in subject title. As an example if i sold you an item and you are happy you would start a topic with the subject title of " toast hero " That way before you make a deal you go to that section and type the user ID in the search box and you can see every deal ever made by that seller/buyer and if it is positive or negative, i.e. hero or villain.

obviously its not foolproof and accounts can be hacked etc but it does go along way to help

Im sorry this has happened to you all, its a sad sad day when peoples trust gets taken advantage of in this way

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Toastie, that Hero and Villain Idea is a great one. I think we need to use that idea. thanks
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

toastie

by toastie

Frankie - B wrote:Toastie, that Hero and Villain Idea is a great one. I think we need to use that idea. thanks

I wish I could claim the idea!!
It does work really well but it needs to be easily searchable and not sure how easy that is to implement on the software this site uses? The other forum uses VBulletin I think but it allows each subsection of a forum to be searched individually for topic titles, via a search box on the page. If it's difficult to search it probably won't get used.
But yes a users name followed by hero or villain in the topic title and then a small description of whether buyer of seller etc as the content of the post works very well indeed although as I say it's still not 100% foolproof unfortunately

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com