Newbie rules?

Bring your questions & complaints to the Weight Weenies moderators, here! Also, News & Announcements. Use the other boards for bike related talks.
FrY10cK

by FrY10cK

50 posts? Crap! I just made this new account to consolidate all my forum accounts under one user name.

I guess I'll go peruse the forum topics to see if I can make a "substantive contribution" somewhere.

Jmeloy

by Jmeloy

brianwelchde wrote:I'm in the same boat with you guys. I understand the not being able to post things to sell... but not the whole PM thing.

Same boat here. Hundreds of posts elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dugster10

by dugster10

I've gotten caught in this as well, but rules are rules.

In a way, it's valuable and as much of a pain it seems, I get it. Exclusivity provides a way to keep the delinquents off the site. I'm still working on my 50p's.

derek

by derek

I got a pm but can't reply to it. Why?

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Hi,

We have taken the decision to create a minimum post count for PMing. It is the same as the minimum post count that enables you to post in the for sale section. We went this way, because we had a big influx of members that only joined WW in order to sell their items. They did nothing for the community. It is better to use the community in order to get to know a few people and then sell your items.
Now, you don't have items for sale (i assume) but you cannot react on a PM you received. This is sadly one of the downsides of the minimum post count.

Let me see if I can build a new for sale section that is invisible for anyone with less then 30 posts. then this barrier can be taken away as well.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

vdrey

by vdrey

What is so bad about people coming just to sell their stuff?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Please have a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=65842#p588645
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

NoiseBoy

by NoiseBoy

50 posts seems really excessive. I browse WW daily but don't post much as quite frankly I'm a noob and have little to contribute but i'm sure I will as I gain experience. I agree with the limit for posting for sale items but I have seen some wheels I want and can't PM the guy to buy them. Also in the WW kit group buy I had to post rather than PMing the organiser which just adds spam.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

IIRC the limit of 50 posts has been lowered to 30. you are close.

bazmac

by bazmac

I'm also new here and don't have an issue with the 50 or 30 posting or 100 if that is what is deemed fair and a month or two as a contributing member. I'm not sure but I can't see the classified section since the rules came into effect. I must not of read the rules properly as I thought it was that you could not sell until you reach the minimum limit for timeframe and postings?

If this is wrong "which happens lots, my wife tells me" can someone post a link to the classified posting, please?

Cheers baz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Baz, you can't see the classifieds until you reach the 30 posts.

bazmac

by bazmac

Thanks Frankie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nealrab

by nealrab

I've just joined...same situation...definitely a hardship to wait until an arbitrary number of posts is reached. I have been on RBR for years (maybe 12) and still don't have 100 posts (I think). I just have better things to do...like ride...or live. I don't join the tweetie, don't use a cell phone, or an ipod or a ton of other things. So I've been excommunicated from a FOR SALE forum until I reach 6000 posts??? It really is totally absurd. Do you want a "private" club with pre-screened members that fit a specified set of guidelines or just a community of cyclists who may come and go but are usually free to visit all forums? I truly don't get it at all. It's like the Masters or any of a million golf courses in the USA...they have the right to choose their members, but how appealing is that attitude? Rome out.

Mackers

by Mackers

Wow, a hardship....

My heart bleeds for you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

nealrab wrote:I truly don't get it at all.

The rules were put in place to stop members from being ripped off by scammers. It wasn't preventative, rather (and unfortunately) reactionary to what was a continual concern.

If you feel these rules too onerous, a "hardship" or any other form (of the many) discriminations you've so eloquently made an analogy for then it could your voluntary membership (in which the 'newbie rules' were well established when you joined) to WW might need reconsideration.