BB30/Standard BB weight difference

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

vcnz

by vcnz

I have a chance to change my bb on my cx bike from standard to bb30 to increase stiffness

Does anybody know the weight difference between Sram Red BB30 (or FSA K-Force BB30) and the standard Shimano DuraAce 7900 ?
I'm referring to the whole setup, considering bearings, shell etc

Thanks

simonj

by simonj

Um, as far as I know, you can go from BB30 to standard via an adapter, but not the other way around. Your bike needs to have a BB30 shell

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vcnz

by vcnz

simonj wrote:Um, as far as I know, you can go from BB30 to standard via an adapter, but not the other way around. Your bike needs to have a BB30 shell

It's a Ti frame and I can change the standard bb with a bb30, any Ti frame builder can do this.
That's why I wonder if the new setup (Sram RED BB30 of FSA BB30) is lighter than the current one (Shimano Dura Ace 7900 crank).

simonj

by simonj

Ahh, I see, my apologies.

Well according to SRAM, the BB30 version is 30% lighter than its GXP counterpart. Although I'm not sure how that compares to a 7900 setup.

monty dog

by monty dog

Cutting-and-shutting the BB shell from threaded to BB30 is a whole lot of aggravation for a few grammes - I wouldn't consider this to be a viable option and would probably be as expensive as a whole new frame.
Just ride

tomikasa

by tomikasa

I think rotor has a bottombracket for "normal "frames so you can use a bb30 bottombracket.They also have one for the other way around...

monty dog

by monty dog

Standard English BB shell has internal diameter of 34.8mm - putting a BB30 shaft through there leaves 4.8mm of 'space' for the bearings - just exactly where do the bearings go? FWIW Rotor BSA 30 uses a 30mm spindle but bearing are placed external to the shell - but this won't work with a regular BB30 crank.
Just ride

captainclarko

by captainclarko

GXP Sram Red : 760g
GXP FSA K-Force Light :736g

BB30 Sram Red : 630g
BB30 FSA K-Force Light : 675g

Dura-Ace 7900: 725g

All weights are for standard crankset and taken from manufacturer's websites as of 01/18/2012.

The weight difference is there, but you could still do pretty well with another GXP style crankset. KCNC, THM, S-works, and Hollowgram all come to mind.

rahman

by rahman

Sram's BB30 weighs about 34 grams and Duraace's 7900 90 grams precisely, hope this helps :D
Born in lust turn to dust, born in sin come on in!

mlchang

by mlchang

jaup wrote:http://www.rotorbikeusa.com/products/bsa_bottom_bracket.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This?

Takes 30mm spindle, but a true BB30 crankset spindle will be too short to work with these BB cups.
Rotor BBRight has 30mm spindle but is much longer which is what these cups are designed for.

rockdude

by rockdude

I see no need in a bb30 and for cross and they have be problematic with keeping the bearing from seizing. I have now put a conversion shell in all my bb30's and run standard BSA.
2 Serotta's, 1 Spectrum, 1 Van Dessel, 1 Parlee & 1 Carl Strong, & 1 Titus.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com