first CX bike, should I buy this blue or ridley?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

willymcd

by willymcd

I'm a MTB racer (local pro cat in Oregon and Utah) and am thinking of picking up a CX bike for training purposes and trying out CX racing this fall. I found this brand new Blue Competition CX6.5 with Apex build, FSA Gossamer cranks, Tektro Cantilever CR520 brakes and American Classic Victory wheels for $1300. The frame fits well, and the american classic wheels seem pretty good for the price. If I decide to get into cyclocross for serious will this bike suffice?

Fork: Aerus composite carbon
Steer Tube Type: Aluminum
Drop Type: Aluminum
Headset: FSA
Bottom Bracket: FSA Mega Exo
Crankset: FSA Gossamer
Teeth: 50 x 34T
Crank Arm Length: 172.5mm
Chain: SRAM PC-1031
Cassette: SRAM PG 1050
Sprocket Range: 11-26T
Shifters: SRAM Apex
Front Derailleur: FSA
Rear Derailleur: SRAM Apex
Brake Levers: SRAM Apex
Brakes: Tektro Cantilever CR520
Wheelset: American Classic Victory
Tires: Vittoria Cross XG Pro
Stem: Aerus 6061 alloy
Handlebar: Aerus AL Compact
Seatpost: Aerus AL
Saddle: Blue (Cro-Moly rails)
Weight: 18.14oz

There is also a slightly used 2011 ridley x-fire for $1800 with a much better build (sram force) but with what I think is a worse wheelset (shimano WH-R550) also I think it might be too big for me at 58cm as it seems ridleys run on the big side? The Blue is a 57cm. Would shortening my reach on the ridley with a shorter stem be an option on a cross bike, or would it mess with the bikes handling? With MTB I like running short stems, but I have the feeling it is not the same thing for CX... I'll try to check out the ridley this week for sizing. For reference I am 5'11" with 34" inseam.

X-fire build:

Sram Force Shifters and Derailuers
-TRP Euro X brakes
-FIZIK Tundra Saddle
-K-Edge chain catcher
-Thorne Chainrings
-Rival Cranks
-Shimano WH-R550 Wheels
-Hutchinson Bulldog tires
-Ritchey WCS handlebars and seatpost
-Easton EA30 Stem

availpunk9

by availpunk9

I'm partial to the Blue. I think the seller is asking too much. It's 2 generations back; if going that way I would shoot for $1k or under.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

owen

by owen

i am 6'3" 36" inseam and ride a 2010 ridley x-fire 58cm and fits me well, but way to large of a frameset for you. the x-fire does have one of the stiffest forks i have ever ridden.

tomikasa

by tomikasa

Do you know the bottom-bracket drop off the two bikes?
I know from experience that ridleys build very high,, so if you are new to the sport, it is perhaps a good idea to take a bike that has a lower bottom-bracket.(so the biggest bottombracket-drop) It will make you feel more at ease, if you start sliding around.
It is also a lot easier to put your foot down if you forgot to jump off in time on a steep slope ,for instance .

I did my first trips the last few days with a "lower " type frame (an old bike off my girlfriend, columbus =empella) instead off my ridley that I sold and I must say that I feel much more secure on this bike!

On the other hand , some people don't mind the "high" feeling at all and are very happy with their ridley bike...

owen

by owen

I have rode many miles (pavement and dirt) on my ridley (x-fire) and don't feel it has a high bottom bracket. Also, 3 years ago a pro peleton team rode this frameset (with a road fork and brake caliper) at Paris-Roubaix. He should consider the Ridley x-ride (no water bottle bolts, like on the x-night and x-fire) in aluminum and fully pimp it out for racing.