Van Dessel Full Tilt Boogie - Season 3

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rich_W

by Rich_W

They're comin and I'm getting two! More info here

Last edited by Rich_W on Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 9 times in total.

dlight

by dlight

what fork is that? same as last year? is the geometry the same? I am excited? Price is a bit out of my reach.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Yup - same fork as the Gin & Tombones but matching the Full Tilt Boogie's matte (flat) clear coat finish over raw 3k weave outer layer carbon. I love matte finish - My Jamis Xenith SL road bikes for the past two seasons are matte and I just love the subtle look... that alone excites me about this bike.

As I analyze every detail in everything -- and after speaking with the guys at VD -- I've got to hand to them as quite a bit of critical thinking has been put into this bike... carbon and reinforcement where you need it and less where you don't, tapered 1.5" steer tube, BB30, "Meyersonain" cable routing (one piece of rear deraileur housing from the rear top-tube cable stop down the seat stay to the RD). Rear Brake and Read Deraileur cables run on the top tube, front deraileur cable as not as affected by mud runs under the down tube. Low BB for tossable handling like the Stevens and Colnago and unlike the high BB Ridleys and Blues... The geometry (I'm told was developed by Meyerson) mirrors the Gin & Trombones -- also with some thoughtful improvements coming in the new batch.

Also cool will be Van Dessel only custom flanders yellow TRP brakes. TJ and the gang pimped the green ones last season... but they said if you want the yellow's... you gotta get a complete! Not sure if I'll have them as I'm just going for frames. Likely will stick with the 950's...

Stay tuned as I am going full tilt with Rich_W™ built identical twin Van Dessel Full Tilt Boogies equipped with Dura Ace 7900 mechanical, WCS cockpit with the new EvoCurve bars, white Fizik Aliante team saddles, two pairs of Revolution Wheelwork's REV 50 wheelsets wrapped in supple 32mm FMB SSC and Gripo rubber. Full Rock Star style.

Like my great grandfather said to me as a wee lad... if you're gonna be a poseur, do it well... if you're a pimp, walk with a limp... and if you drive an Escalade, be sure to have the biggest rims around. Truly words to live by... Great Grandpa was certainly a prolific man...

Will also have my existing WCS 38mm carbon CX wheels with Fango 34's that will be moving to the wifey's Van Dessel Gin & Trombones with full Ultegra 6700, WCS, Fizik, et all.

Stay effin tuned... only two more months until build time for all 3 :thumbup:

(then I'll need to find a new home for my boy Steve. :cry: )
Last edited by Rich_W on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:56 am, edited 13 times in total.

dlight

by dlight

When will you recieve the frame? What size are you getting? This is so freaking awesome news. Although I am gonna stick with my 950 brakes for performance issue.

I was leaning towards the Time or Ibis. But now I don't know what to do?

Rich_W

by Rich_W

What I like about the Van Dessel brand is it's a true racers-brand - that workhorse mentality - classic design principles - and most of them are found in the grass roots racing scene. Not to mention the owner is Flemish - the essence of road and cross racing is in his genes and it comes through in all of his designs.

When I spoke to the guys at VD, they indicated that both the Full Tilt Boogies and Gin & Trombones arrive in August, just ahead of cross season. They said to reserve one quick if you want one. So I threw my hat in for three: 2 for me, 1 for the wifey.

Apparently interest has been flying and they're saying the whole run could be gone in a few weeks. I guess thats the economics of being a small bike manufacturer...

dlight

by dlight

I'm gonna have to work on getting the fund. Getting married in October so funds for a new bike is really tight. Gonna have to work on the future wife to see. Damm, bad timing. I emailed them for the actual geometry last night. So hopefully I'll get to decide on it. I only found the geo for the gin and trom. but that should be it. Just wanted to make sure. I also asked if they could do full on euro cable lines with the fd running from the top. My bianchi is like that so I'm use to it. I've test ridden bikes with downtube cables and it was different and mess with my head. I had to think about it and make sure my figures didn't get caught up between the frame and cable.

jmoote

by jmoote

Oh my, this is such an awesome frame. I'm not a fan of some things they do (front der. cable on the downtube) but the geometry is great (if it is like the G&T) and it should be sweet at that weight with BB30 and tapered steertube.

Too bad I just bought a Norcross... not that I could likely afford a Full Tilt Boogie frameset this year, but the geometry is much more my style than the Blue which I am getting in the hope of growing to like the handling of the higher BB, etc.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

jmoote wrote:Too bad I just bought a Norcross... not that I could likely afford a Full Tilt Boogie frameset this year, but the geometry is much more my style than the Blue which I am getting in the hope of growing to like the handling of the higher BB, etc.

I think you hit the nail on the head... this bike bridges right between the Stevens Team Cyclocross and Blue Norcross.

More *normal* road bike geometry (Like Stevens)... and with that comes more tossable handling. Tapered Steerer (like Blue) plus BB30. But there are schools of thought the higher BB gets you over stuff easier, but IMO, handing is the most important.

Peter_E

by Peter_E

Those should be two great bikes. I'm counting on pictures as soon as you get the frames.

jmoote

by jmoote

Rich_W wrote:I think you hit the nail on the head... this bike bridges right between the Stevens Team Cyclocross and Blue Norcross.

More *normal* road bike geometry (Like Stevens)... and with that comes more tossable handling. Tapered Steerer (like Blue) plus BB30. But there are schools of thought the higher BB gets you over stuff easier, but IMO, handing is the most important.
Yes, my custom Ti/Carbon frame has a 70mm bb drop like the G&T and the handling is awesome (though I can't pedal through some corners that guys on 60mm drop frames can). It has a standard 1.125" Alpha Q CX20 and is quite a bit softer than these carbon frames though, so I wanted to try something more contemporary this year. I anticipate liking the Norcross and perhaps being able to pedal more tight corners and off camber will be worth it, but the handling of this new Van Dessel is going to rock, flat out.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Just heard one of my two F-T-B's will arrive late next week. That puppy will be built-up before you can say "is it cross season yet?"

Wifey's Gin & Trombones due first week of August. All components for all 3 builds here or in transit.

Revolution wheels next week, and two lovely pairs of FMBs here tomorrow!

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Wheelsets in Hand! Is it Cross Season Yet??

1) Revolution Wheelworks 50x (24-28) with FMB Grippo XL 32mm (Racing Ralph Treads)

2) Revolution Wheelworks 50x (24-28) with FMB SSC 32mm

3) Ritchey WCS Carbon 38s/DT 240 (20-24) with Challenge Fangos 34mm
Attachments
cross_tires_1.jpg
cross_tires_2.jpg
cross_tires_3.jpg
cross_tires_4.jpg
Last edited by Rich_W on Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Build Lists and Status
The key differences between #1 and 2 is Black post/stem VS. White post/stem and tires, otherwise duplicates. Also note the frames are BB30, but I am running Shimano BSA with adaptors on all.

Machine 1
Frame/Fork: Van Dessel FTB 56cm - Matte Carbon (Waiting)
Drivetrain: 7900 (in-hand)
Crankset: 7800 172.5mm (39/46) (in-hand)
Cassette: 7900 (11-28) (in-hand)
Chain: 7900
Pedals: XTR (in-hand)
Brakes: TRP Eurox (Custom Flanders Yellow) (Waiting)
Stem: WCS 4-Axis Matte Black 120mm (in-hand)
Bar: WCS EvoCurve Matte Black 42mm (in-hand)
Tape: Profile Synthetic Non Adhesive White (in-hand)
Saddle: Fizik Aliante Carbon Team White k:ium (in-hand)
Wheels: Revolution Wheelworks 50x (in-hand)
Skewers: Revolution Wheelworks Hollow Steel Rod
Tires: FMB SSC 32mm (in-hand)

Machine 2
Frame/Fork: Van Dessel FTB 56cm - Matte Carbon (Waiting)
Crankset: 7800 (39/46) (in-hand)
Cassette: 7800 172.5mm (11-27) (in-hand)
Chain: 7900
Pedals: XTR (in-hand)
Brakes: TRP Eurox (Custom Flanders Yellow) (Waiting)
Stem: WCS 4-Axis Wet White 120mm (in-hand)
Bar: WCS EvoCurve Matte Black 42mm (in-hand)
Saddle: Fizik Aliante Carbon Team White k:ium (in-hand)
Wheels: Revolution Wheelworks 50x (in-hand)
Skewers: Revolution Wheelworks Hollow Steel Rod
Tires: FMB Grippo XL 32mm (in-hand)

Machine 3 (for Wifey)
Frame/Fork: Van Dessel G&T 50cm - Belgian Tri-Color(Waiting)
Crankset: 6700 170mm (38/44) (in-hand)
Cassette: 6700 (11-28) (in-hand)
Chain: 6700
Pedals: XT (in-hand)
Brakes: TRP 950 Carbon (in-hand)
Stem: WCS 4-Axis Matte Black 90mm (in-hand)
Bar: WCS EvoCurve Matte Black 40mm (in-hand)
Saddle: Fizik Vesta White k:ium (in-hand)
Wheels: WCX 38mm Carbons/DT240 (in-hand)
Skewers: DT Swiss RWS Ti MTB
Tires: Challenge Fango 34mm (in-hand)

jmoote

by jmoote

Beautiful wheel/tire choices. Similar tire setup to what I'll have available this year.

What chainrings are you running on your wife's bike for the 38/44 combo? Any photos of the 6700 crankset with said rings?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

jmoote wrote:What chainrings are you running on your wife's bike for the 38/44 combo? Any photos of the 6700 crankset with said rings?

Chainrings are Thorne (Cyclocrossworld.com's house brand). Nice quality though... Chainrings bolts are 7800. The crankset, rings and pedals are assembled and on my bench. I will snap and post a pic of the setup tonight.