Van Dessel Full Tilt Boogie - Season 3

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rich_W

by Rich_W

OK... After much debate and testing... I've decided to go back to 56's with 11's. While I love the way the 54/12 setup handles, I can't get my darn elbow through the frame when practicing the run-ups. I'm fortunate I have these demos to play with to fine tune my setup... but this is it! And I know several of you guys agree! :roll:

Not sure if I mentioned this feature... but look Ma, no bottle cage mounts!

Here's a pic of my road position for comparison. My CX position is still 2cm back and 2cm up...

Attachments
Van Dessel Full Tilt Boogie: 56cm with 11cm stem
Van Dessel Full Tilt Boogie: 56cm with 11cm stem
Van Dessel Full Tilt Boogie: No water bottle cage bolts!
Van Dessel Full Tilt Boogie: No water bottle cage bolts!
rich_w_2010_xenith_sl.jpg

nitropowered

by nitropowered

I agree with DrDos, a 74 seatangle is way too steep.

I personally would have to get one of those FSA K-Force posts with 35mm setback to fit on a Van Dessel

Do what cervelo has done with the R5ca and slack the STA so the majority of people can use a non-setback post

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W

VD cyclocross geometry has always used 74 degree seat angle standard: Gin's, Holeshots, and now FTBs -- which explicitly came from the direction of Adam Meyerson and Geoff Kabush.

Both those guys might of won a couple elite races on Gin & Trombones framesets... then again Dr. Dos likely smoked them.

The thinking was a more forward, over the pedals position... But yeah, for the guys who need mega setback, an FSA 35mm setback post is a great option.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

nitropowered wrote:I agree with DrDos, a 74 seatangle is way too steep.

I personally would have to get one of those FSA K-Force posts with 35mm setback to fit on a Van Dessel

Do what cervelo has done with the R5ca and slack the STA so the majority of people can use a non-setback post

A cross bike is not a road bike. a 74 isn't that bad as a lot people move their seat forward for cross. Also, most people don't have Indurain femurs hence the popularity of zero offset posts.

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

Rich_W wrote:Both those guys might of won a couple elite races on Gin & Trombones framesets... then again Dr. Dos likely smoked them.

I smoked a lot of guys last season and there are some I plan to smoke from october. Then again I got smoked by a guy on clincher tires... ;)

The 56 looks great! So does your beautiful Jamis (I missed the Supernova during today's visit of Eurobike fair though, guess it didn't fit their smallish booth).

Regarding the 74° angle. Check out the pics on cyclingnews, even the factory riders are running their saddles slid all way the back on setback posts. It's just wrong whatever anybody says.

And Kabush possibly would have won the race on a Huffy.

dlight

by dlight

That looks really good.

What bar are you running?

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Thanks D

Bars on my road bike are Ritchey WCS Evolution SL carbon

Bars on the CX bikes (both my FTB and my wifes G&T) are the new Ritchey WCS Evocurve Alloy, which shares the same shape on the top.

mosovich

by mosovich

Why not bottle mounts? I use my cross bike as a road bike in the off season.. With no bottle mounts, it won't do me any good.. Also, long dirt road rides.. Can mounts be added?

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Bottle mounts can be installed upon request.

I did a 5 hour training ride this past Sunday on an FTB... One 20 oz bike bottle, and typical recyclable water bottle in the other..., no problem. Point is, its a race bike.

Auk

by Auk

mosovich wrote:Why not bottle mounts? I use my cross bike as a road bike in the off season.. With no bottle mounts, it won't do me any good.. Also, long dirt road rides.. Can mounts be added?

A bottle cage, and a roll of electric tape will get you there with no problem.

lowpsihighspeed

by lowpsihighspeed

Two Fish makes a velcro strap on cage. If you like King Cages, you can get an use their mounting strap and bolt it on as an upgrade.

mtbwrx

by mtbwrx

what is the BB set up?
looks like it could be OS, hard to tell in the pics how large the BB actually is, but I see Bearings sticking out of the frame?
this frameset retails for about what the Steven's does right? $1600.00 or so?

Rich_W

by Rich_W

All Van Dessel's are BB30. I'm using adaptors to run my Dura Ace Cranks. I like all-Shimano systems.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W