One or Two pairs?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

powenb

by powenb

Hi all,

I currently run a pair of Hope Pro3 hubs on Mavic Open Pro rims (about 1713g) with Stan's sealant and have a similar back-up pair.

I have had to call this year off now due to a back problem :cry: and am looking towards next year and would like to get a new, lighter set.
I was thinking of going for DT Swiss 240S 28H hubs on Stan's ZTR Race 29er rims (which should be available by next year) with Stan's sealant, which will make a wheelset weight of about 1304g.
But due to the price, I may only be able to afford one pair.

Another option, is to get some Mavic Ksyrium Elites (1550g) which means, due to the rim width being the same, I can still use my Hope/Open Pro wheels for training and back-up.

So my question is, is it better to have one very light wheelset, or two FAIRLY light wheelsets?

Many thanks

Owen

Monowai

by Monowai

or you could keep the wheelsets and use the money to buy a second bike, which would be much more useful for cross than just a pair of wheels - particularly on very muddy days.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marko

by marko

The 1500g range is pretty good for light and durable. I've been bombing an old Campy Nucleon tubular set up and have a slightly lighter Ritchey Tubular set up at 1460g. There has been some mixed reviews as to hub durability on Ritchey. I swear another 1/2lb will kill me but it doesn't seem to bother the ones passing me. Since it's usually dry races I prefer to have a set with big side knobs for twisty grass races and a Griffo pattern if it's a bit slick. So I'll end up with a knobby set, a dry (tufo flexus) and a Typhoon for slick. The knobby is a clincher set up (cheap IRC mythos) and came in handy at two events. Those are on some old Eurus rims that weigh 1550. If you could get a tubless bulldog setup to work you'll be using those wheels for everything.

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

I agree with Monowai, particularly if you can find someone to come to races and clean them up while you ride. Nothing beats a clean bike at the end of each lap on a muddy race day...
Last edited by lancejohnson on Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

mayhem

by mayhem

"Two crappy bikes are faster than one nice bike"- John Verheul

To answer your question, two sets of wheels are faster than one nice set.