Question on tubes

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

peterf1963

by peterf1963

The tubes for my clinchers are rated for 28-32mm tires (I was using some 30mm Michelins). I just purchased some Ritchey speedmax 35mm tires. Do I need new tubes or should I be ok. I'm a roadie who has always just used 23mm tires so it's never really crossed my mind. I would appreciate any assistance. I plan to run between 45-55 psi depending on the conditions.

BTW, I did my first cross race last weekend and I'm totally hooked... :)

mayhem

by mayhem

Ideally you'd get some new tubes. Those are going to be a bit narrow for what you want. They will work, but you're more at risk for pinch flats because the tube is so stretched out.

So, it will work. Might be worth doing given how little of the season is left and you'll have a lot of other worries :) But if you can get someone at the shop to hook you up with some tubes for cheap, take them up on it.

How much do you weigh? 55 is a lot.

peterf1963

by peterf1963

i'm big. about a 100kg. still experimenting on tire pressure. turns out I need to go to the bike shop tommorow, so I'll take your advice and grab some new ones, and not have to worry. Thanks for the advice.

mayhem

by mayhem

Yeah, 55 might be about right then. And yeah, get some bigger tubes, just to be safe. Pinch flats obviously are a more likely thing at your size.

mattr

by mattr

If you have a nice friendly league, discuss pressures with the other riders before each race.......i'm weighing in at slightly over 80 kilos and run anything from 50/55 psi, down to about 20/25. It can make a massive difference (especially if you come from a pure road background, pressures aren't really that variable!)

I only had my first pinch puncture a couple of weeks ago. (thats in 12 years of racing cross)

peterf1963

by peterf1963

It hadn't rained for a while before my first race so I assumed it would be firmer (it wasn't), I was running over 60 psi in my 30mm tires and I found that my bike handling suffered.

mattr

by mattr

peterf1963 wrote:It hadn't rained for a while before my first race so I assumed it would be firmer (it wasn't), I was running over 60 psi in my 30mm tires and I found that my bike handling suffered.

:shock:

Not surprised!

Expeiment a bit, just talking to everyone will show you just how variable and personal tyre pressures are, you will find people at the same weight running tyre pressures in a huge range!

peterf1963

by peterf1963

low numbers like 30-35 psi. Lot's of tubies though (eventual purchase).

mattr

by mattr

less!

the Repeater

by the Repeater

Your tubes are fine, those tires are about the same size. Ignore the other poster.

As for pressure, anything above 45psi is going to be a lot. I generally try to get down below 30 psi w/ clinchers. (76kg.)
Serious delirium.