Tubular Cross Wheelset?

Especially for light weight issues concerning cyclocross / touring bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Zeed

by Zeed

I'm looking for a tubular wheelset that preferably isn't 32 hole, due to the muddy nature of New England cross courses and the tendency of said wheels to accumulate mud, which certainly isn't very WW. My budget is about $600, which pretty much puts carbon wheels out of the picture. I was thinking a set of Ksyriums, and I am willing to go used.

I'm also curious as to how carbon wheels hold up over very muddy conditions, with braking and mud. It seems as if carbon wheels might be a bit more susceptible to damage. I have found a Karbona wheelset that totals about 1400 grams and comes with Joytech hubs, and the same thing on Neuvation's website. Would these hold up well under a 120lb rider, and how would they feel in muddy courses? Do deep wheels help that much, especially for a rider of my stature?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

I have Edge 38s that have my fast and dry tires on them and 68s with the mud tires. When you are plowing through mud and other rubbish having the deep rim is great so your wheel doesn't get sucked into the muck like shallow rims are known to do.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Ksyriums at all. I would rather have a nice hub laced to a 30mm niobium rim for a lot less money than bother with Ksyriums.

If you can find a set of Cosmic Carbones used that might be the ticket, otherwise the Karbona should be a fairly good wheel.

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

campyman099

by campyman099

I just picked up a set of Easton EA70x tubular wheels. They are alloy rims, but very nice set of wheels. They are around 1600g, but nice and sturdy and the bearings are great.
Quit whining and go ride your bike!!

coloclimber

by coloclimber

lance- I didnt know you are racing cross. Hope to see you out there on the Wed am practice rides.

+1 on campyman's recommendation- you can pick up some Easton EA70X tubulars for pretty cheap on that auction site = $370. (with 25% cashback with live.com search to get there) http://pages.ebay.com/CASHBACKOFFER/TERMS.HTML

At a buck 20 you dont need to worry. Deeper rims do handle better in deep mud and sand.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

Colo - should make it out to world's next week or the week after. Just gotta make it through the Rocky Mountain Bicycle Show and then I should have some breathing room. BTW - no racing this year for me. Too far off form to put myself through that. Next year racing for certain.

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

PMed you about some carbon tubulars my wife used for a few races last year and is looking to get rid of. They have Dugast Rhinos on them as well.

The Easton wheels are nice as well.

ms6073

by ms6073

Kind of over-kill for a beginning cross racer like myself, but since switching to Reynolds on the road, I have drafted a set of 2-year old, lightly used Easton Tempest II tubulars. Currently running them with Tufo Flexus and despite a complete lack of skill on my part, the wheels work much better than the rider for both wet and dry conditions although they do need a bit more TLC after racing in the mud! :D
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

by Weenie