3 Wheel Choices?

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

bt_cross

by bt_cross

I'm new to cross and have narrowed down my wheel choice to three options. I don't have much in the way of reviews so any personal experiences or advice would be greatly appreciated:

1) Easton EC90 SLX tubs -will these hold up in cross or are they too fragile?
2) Bontrager RXL tubs- a durable wheel but not as light or aero
3) Shimano's new tubeless set up- i don't see anyone riding these but hear good things.

Thanks.

BT

caleb

by caleb

They're all overkill.

Search for "wheels" and "tires" and a wealth of info will turn up.

The short story is that it's better to have three sets of basic wheels with a variety of tires than one set of fancy wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

XC-MTB

by XC-MTB

It is realy better to choose to sets with Ultegra Hubs and Reflex rims and good tubs. Probably one with the new Tufo Flexus Primus and the other one with the Flexus Cubus. Two sets for every purpose.

If you have more money you can choose Dura-Ace or DT-240 but better tyres are much better than expensiv wheels with plastic rims!!!

But you decide.

Matze

c50jim

by c50jim

Since racing at my age is a bit of a joke (even if I was fast enough 25 years ago, I'm not now and my heart doesn't work properly all the time) I do a lot of volunteer work at races. It amazes me to see people come to races in cat 4 or 5 or sport in cross riding bikes with carbon rims and all the other latest stuff.

At a recent cross race I commissaired here, the top three riders were on aluminum bikes, although one did have a carbon seat stay, alloy rims with really good tires (two on Dugasts). The lightest of the bikes was a big bike (the owner is about 6'3") but felt about the same as my Parlee Z1 - 15.6 pounds.

For cross, it's better to go to tubulars (I don't know if there's much selection in tubeless tires for cross), have a couple of sets of wheels with different tires for different conditions and keep your equipment simple and reliable. If you have money to burn, go carbon, but I'd agree with XC-MTB's advice.